BG MOA Additive has quited noisy valve tappets Mobil 1 on 3800 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep,

I had the dealer add that with Mobil 10W30 at this oil change. BG's products have recieved many positive comments from this board...BG44K in particular.

By itself with Mobil 1 the car valvetrain is a little more noticeable.

After adding the BG MOA to 5.0qts Mobil the idle is much more smoother...to an already smoothe engine.

In addition as according the oil pressure electronic guage at HOT temp the Mobil 1 is not loosing pressure at idle either. Perhaps this fluid is adding some kind of viscosity stabilizer as well?

BG MOA is a thick red fluid. I will run a UOA when this cycle is completed. Mobil 1 is supposedly Zinc defiecient which BG MOA makes up for.

The BG MOA is a oil extender as I understand.
Unlike us many car owners don't change their oil as recommended. So dealers drop in a can to help protect the engines of these people.

The BG stuff probably made your engine quieter because it made the oil thicker. Mobil 1 is an excellent oil, and not deficient in zinc (sounds like an ad for a vitamin and mineral supplement!), but is on the thin side. Mobil 1 is not the best oil for some engines.

If your engine is better with a thicker oil, try one of the oils labeled for "high mileage" engines. You're always better off with an oil that contains everything your engine needs. The chemists at the oil companies have made oil where everything in it works together and it's the best oil they can put together for the price point. You probably cannot improve on their work unless you're also an organic chemist.

If you still feel that adding something to your oil is the best way to go, buy Schaeffer's #132 oil treatment from Tim Mills. It costs less that the other stuff, works very well, and does no harm!!!

The auto dealers do not add extra products to their customers' oil to extend the life of the oil...they add this stuff to improve the dealership's profit. There is almost nothing you can buy to extend the oil's life...if you think there is, keep the money in your pocket until you see valid, independent tests of the product.

Ken

[ July 05, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Would in be more effective in this case to exchange one quart of the Mobil 1 10W-30 with a quart of Mobil 1 15W-50, to thicker the oil somewhat in the summertime? Or, like has already been mentioned, put Schaeffer's #132 in the oil? How much Schaeffer's #132 would be needed for four quarts of Mobil 1-for five quarts?

Both of those suggestions are good, a lot of people mix in a quart or two of 15w50 M1 with their 10w30 M1, and a lot of people add a half a bottle of 132 Schaeffers to their M1 also.

Both are safe ways of beefing up Mobil 1 10w30.

quote:

Perhaps this fluid is adding some kind of viscosity stabilizer as well?

BG MOA is a thick red fluid. I will run a UOA when this cycle is completed. Mobil 1 is supposedly Zinc defiecient which BG MOA makes up for.

I would advise anyone who is adding these viscosity thickeners (which is what they are) to your oil, to mix up a batch of crankcase oil of the same amount you would be using in the crankcase and send the VOA to Terry Dyson for viscosity analysis at 40 C and 100 C.

These viscosity thickeners (as with STP/Bardhal/Valvoline Engine Restore), etc. are mainly olefin copolymers that simply thicken up (increase viscosity) of the oil, depending on how much additive is mixed with the oil.

Here is what it says about BG MOA.

BG Advanced Formula MOA: BG Advanced Formula MOA prevents oxidation and thickening of motor oil under even the most severe stop and go, high temperature driving conditions. It fortifies high quality motor oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and help maintain optimum engine performance. The Thin Film Oxidation Uptake Test (TFOUT), ASTM Test Method D4742, proved BG MOA's remarkable resistance to oxidation by more than 315% longer than seven major brands of SG/CD ECII quality oil.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
how much does 8oz. of schaeffers 132 moly additivethicken up a 10w30 oil does it inc the 30 wt. close to a 40 wt.?

I don't think it thickens it up quite that much. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe half a bottle of 132 would bring the oil from 10.0 to 10.5cst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back