DT trying to discourage General and promote Kelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly all OE tires are [censored]. General/continental or not. Goodyear integrity and several michelin tires, alot of Bridgestone tires are perfect examples of this. But all those companies also make some excellent non OE tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Around here, they love to promote Yokohama. Perhaps it's a regional thing.
They like the Yoko's around here too. I've purchased 2 set's of Yoko's from them.

The first, and first tires I ever bought from them, were the original Avid Touring. I got ~70k out of them, and a good solid tire that I would recommend.

The second were the YK 520's, an ok tire except for treadwear. Supposed to be a 60k tire. I replaced them at ~30k very close to wearbars. DT was good about it though, they gave me a nice credit for the YK's lack of treadwear, and I bought BFG Traction T/A's with an additional rebate. So far so good with the BFG's. Wouldn't recommend the 520's

Just yesterday I replaced a set of General Altimax RT's after 16 months and 21,000 miles. Probably the worst set of tires I have ever owned. Treadwear was fast (all four tires down to 5/32's after only 21K miles) and traction and ride had degraded to the point of being dangerous unless you were on perfectly dry roads. The Generals replaced the OEM Goodyear Integrity's, which I thought I hated. However, after several months with the Generals I actually wanted the Integrity's back!

On the other hand, my friend has General Exclaim UHP's on a 2003 Mustang GT and loves them. They replaced BFGoodrich g-Force Sports that had weather cracked after only 12 months on the car.

For me, I bought a set of Goodyear Assurance Touring from Sam's Club. No more Generals...ever. I would not even buy a new car if it had Generals OEM unless the dealer agreed to replace them before delivery.

is it just a great coincidence that General tires from DT (and DT direct) websites have virtually disappeared in the last couple of days ?

Quote:
is it just a great coincidence that General tires from DT (and DT direct) websites have virtually disappeared in the last couple of days ?

Huh? Quite frankly, I've never seen a General tire on either site. Even last year when General had the $50 Visa Card promo I saw none, but they did have the promo on their sites. Admittedly, I don't go search the site every day, or every line/type, but enough to get an idea of what they generally carry. That said, I don't worry about it because like the General HP's I purchased from DT, if ready to buy, I know they can and will get them.

It is my understanding that Discount Tire treats each store as an independent business unit, and that each store gets to decide what tires they will stock. I think that applies to their web site as well.

That might explain why some stores have certain brands and others don't.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
It is my understanding that Discount Tire treats each store as an independent business unit, and that each store gets to decide what tires they will stock. I think that applies to their web site as well.

+1

That's how they treat them in my area....

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

The local store can also order tires the website doesn't carry. I just ordered a set of tires for my Corvette at the local store that aren't on the website. Price was comparable to Tire Rack.

I've bought tires from DT for yrs. Lately though, if it's a tire they have to order then they have been pushing, and I mean pushing h-a-r-d, the Michelin and BFG brands. While I don't care for their attitude and prices towards brands they don't stock (e.g. Bridgestone and General) I did get a great deal on a set of Michelin LTX for my truck.

As for the price difference on their two different websites - I've seen it and can only guess that one price is for folks in the know and the other price is for the consumer who isn't in the know.

Kelly-Springfield is an old brand that was bought by Goodyear several years ago. The Kelly plants make many of the private label tires GY produces, evidently including Discount Tire/America's Tire Arizonan brand.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Kelly-Springfield is an old brand that was bought by Goodyear several years ago. The Kelly plants make many of the private label tires GY produces, evidently including Discount Tire/America's Tire Arizonan brand.

I know for a fact the the Arizonan is not made by Kelly. I wish I could remember, I want to say it is a small private company....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back