Boot fans — Anyone ever try the PNW brands? Whites? JK? Nick’s? Frank’s? Truman?

what hasn’t gotten expensive? Now, granted there’s expensive and crazy expensive, and $600 starts to verge to the latter, but if they last and feel great then no issues.

That said, I bought some decently expensive carolina 1776 US Union made boots and the heel delaminated on one side. Carolina was no help… so don’t expect that $$ is going to get service and always get quality either unfortunately.

But I’d want a better constructed boot and sole than what walmart could necessarily provide…
Funny you mention the Carolinas, I’m about a year in on mine (light use, rotation). And my heel counter cracked on me yesterday. Not a bad boot but was a little disappointed in that. It cracked right where my thumb is pointed in the photo.

Attachments

• 8E11726E-1EAF-456D-BE09-D013C56D5278.jpeg
    8E11726E-1EAF-456D-BE09-D013C56D5278.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 29
  • 428B79A2-8D42-4A9D-8B3A-3F3634ECE285.jpeg
    428B79A2-8D42-4A9D-8B3A-3F3634ECE285.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 28
This is my son's JK 300 boots worn 50 hrs a week 10 months old as a Electrician sole is stitched and has not failed but pulling apart. Both boots are doing as above picsView attachment 190298View attachment 190299View attachment 190300
Those photos are liquid gold for a boot geek like myself.

That’s some serious use on a boot, I’m a little surprised the stitch down welt is pulling up a bit like that, but ten hours a day for ten months is a lot of use. Those are beautiful boots, I almost pulled the trigger on them but they didn’t have them in stock in my size.

Those photos are liquid gold for a boot geek like myself.

That’s some serious use on a boot, I’m a little surprised the stitch down welt is pulling up a bit like that, but ten hours a day for ten months is a lot of use. Those are beautiful boots, I almost pulled the trigger on them but they didn’t have them in stock in my size.
He has a pair of JK Forefront being built now been on order since Summer should be arriving soon.

Best work boots I have ever owned are my Thorogoods. Comfortable and tough as nails. Not cheap but not as expensive as some super high-end boots. I highly recommend them.
I bought a pair back in September for the winter months (waterproof/insulated). Haven’t put them to work yet, but it’s coming. First time with them, very comfortable so far…only wore them casually a few times so far. Doesn’t seem like any break-in is needed.

Attachments

• 08B9728B-AA7E-4C13-B60C-1A93A8C25596.jpeg
    08B9728B-AA7E-4C13-B60C-1A93A8C25596.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 72AC395A-3FF9-45A3-9163-841DD55548BC.jpeg
    72AC395A-3FF9-45A3-9163-841DD55548BC.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 28
I would have no problem paying $500 for boots that I wear every day if they made my feet, and my work, more comfortable, better protected, or even easier.

I wear uniform shoes every day that I am at work - and I wear a nice pair of comfortable shoes from J&M.

Paying for good footwear that is used every day makes sense to me. I don’t understand the “I can get boots at WalMart for less” mentality. I am sure you can. So?

The OP is looking for the best for good reason. Help him find the best. Don’t try and convince him to settle for cheap.

Yep.

Spend the money and buy quality footwear or your body will be in pain cause your feet / shoes / boots support all your body weight.

A bad pair of shoes gives me back pain.

Last edited:
Bought a custom pair of Whites Semi Dress back in 07 or 08. Vibram soles. They’ve been resoled once. Break in took much longer than my Danner work boots but once broken in, they’re like an extension of my foot. Great boots.

About 4 years ago I ordered A pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers ($290) and a pair of Carhartt Moc Toes ($150) from Amazon on their try before you buy program. While the Iron Rangers looked and felt like they would survive a nuke attack, I might have got them broken by the time I died.

The Carhartt boot is much maligned on the internet. My experience with them has been favorable. I only wear them in winter when out and about and if I put them on they stay on all day. Very comfortable after the week trial. Their tendency to retain a little heat is great in the winter. In fact they receive more likes from people than the Iron Rangers did out in public. After 4 years of intermittent use, the leather is still soft and responds to a simple brushing. The soles are worn but nowhere near needing replaced. At age 69.345 the ankle support makes walking more secure.

IME when buying boots for casual wear don't overbuy. I would not recommend the Carhartt's for hard work in the muck, but for everyday use they are just fine.

I have a pair of JK boots I bought in the early 2000's and still have them. Held up really well. I use them when I get firewood and working outside and such. Winter boots I prefer Salomons as they are lighter and imo are better insulated for when I snowblow and hike in the woods in winter

I have a pair of PNW style boots handmade to measure by adam from open road custom boots. Best money ive ever spent on boots

Back