Michelin Defender LTX M/S winter performance

My Dad loves these tires too. He never really particularly cared about tires until he got the Defender LTX. When they wore out, he tried the Continental TerrainContact HT and while he didn't dislike them, he liked the Michelins better. First thing he did when he got his new Grand Cherokee is switch to Michelin Defender LTXs.

I know my OEM tires will wear out quickly. Been thinking these tires will be my purchase when that time comes. Need something street friendly that's good(wouldn't expect snow tire performance) in the snow.

After getting 80,000 km out of the factory supplied Bridgestone Duelers on my 2017 Tundra, I put on a set of these. What a difference!. Good handling, quiet and good wet or dry. For an all season highway tire they are good on snow and ice.

Paco

The Michelins work well in manicured snow conditions.

Once it gets super icy/deep drifts Nothing but dedicated snow tires will really make a difference.

The Michelins work well in manicured snow conditions.

Once it gets super icy/deep drifts Nothing but dedicated snow tires will really make a difference.
I actually found them extremely good on ice; shockingly so for an All Season. They are challenged by deep heavy snow however due to the highway tread.

I actually found them extremely good on ice; shockingly so for an All Season. They are challenged by deep heavy snow however due to the highway tread.
Mine have worked well in snowy/icy conditions as well. Once things get beyond maintained roads it goes south. At a certain point a snow tire will be needed.

Mine have worked well in snowy/icy conditions as well. Once things get beyond maintained roads it goes south. At a certain point a snow tire will be needed.
I drove through a massive ice storm with new LTX M/S2's for ~1,600km, which took about 24hrs, several years back in our 2002 Expedition. Watched lots of cars, transports, trucks...etc go into the ditches, trees, each other...etc. I was absolutely shocked how sure footed it was. Also drove through at least a foot of snow down some back road when the highway was closed, couldn't see the road, just drove down the centre, making an educated guess that this would keep me on it. Scary as hell.

We do run dedicated snows on both vehicles now. Have Latitude Xi2's on the RAM, X-Ice Snow's on the Jeep (new this year) but we didn't on the Expedition.

I drove through a massive ice storm with new LTX M/S2's for ~1,600km, which took about 24hrs, several years back in our 2002 Expedition. Watched lots of cars, transports, trucks...etc go into the ditches, trees, each other...etc. I was absolutely shocked how sure footed it was. Also drove through at least a foot of snow down some back road when the highway was closed, couldn't see the road, just drove down the centre, making an educated guess that this would keep me on it. Scary as hell.

We do run dedicated snows on both vehicles now. Have Latitude Xi2's on the RAM, X-Ice Snow's on the Jeep (new this year) but we didn't on the Expedition.
It’s likely highly dependent on the snow/weather. I’m not surprised they performed well. A very capable tire. I’m enjoying my current set.

I also have a pair of LTX's on my truck. I agree they are an amazing choice in the winter for all season use.

But I will say that my truck was pretty sure footed already with the factory goodyears. In fact I preferred the factory tire on my truck vs dedicated michelin winter tires I ran on my grand cherokee. Oddly the Jeep sucked in the snow even with full time 4x4, perhaps the extra weight of the truck is making a difference. Because my Jeep also ran cooper at/3's in the winter once and that was nightmare material.

Of course I could be just remembering wrong, but I doubt it.

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S came on my 2018 F-150.

My truck was 2WD with a elec rear locker. The tires did a good job in snow up to 6 inches IME. That was the largest snow in the NE KC metro while I had the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also drove through at least a foot of snow down some back road when the highway was closed, couldn't see the road, just drove down the centre, making an educated guess that this would keep me on it. Scary as hell.

I did that in the Adirondacks one winter going to school. I forget what snows but x4 on a Grand Marquis. The Hella 181 yellow fogs with just parking lights were too bright reflecting. Grand Marquis had the "cornering" lights on side of fenders. Hazards on activated them also. I kept it in the middle between the snowbanks for almost 2 hours. That was a fun trip :oops: :eek:.

Great tires in the snow.(y) Put a set on my wife's front wheel drive SUV and they took us up and over Hoosier Pass into Breckenridge, CO during a snow storm. The tires are somewhat "truckish" looking though.

Great tires in the snow.(y) Put a set on my wife's front wheel drive SUV and they took us up and over Hoosier Pass into Breckenridge, CO during a snow storm. The tires are somewhat "truckish" looking though.
Amusing to hear. If you listen to guys on truck forums they aren’t nearly “truckish” enough.

Perspective….

Back