Bent steel wheel?

Yeah, most leak some fluid when the shafts are pulled. How much varies a lot by manufacturer.

As for axle nut torque you're probably ok now but the first time if the tech was rushed he may have failed to tighten one side or thought and he did and could have even quickly staked it and thrown the wheel on. There's obviously no way to know now on the side that was re-done.

Anyway I don't mean to be so harsh on your shop but there are a lot of holes in their story. However you're the official on the field so if your call is that they're honest and well-intentioned, then that's the call that stands
There's a lot of circumstantial evidence and I'm just not really the type of person to argue or accuse unless there's something provably wrong. Then there's going to be a problem with me.

I just hate that everything is circumstantial at best.

They really seem like decent people and I chatted with them a bit after picking up my car and I don't see them as the type of people to intentionally pull a fast one. That being said, I'm sure that I could have been deceived by their outward demeanor.

They do seem to be a good shop, and I'm saying that off the strength of their Google reviews, their Yelp reviews, their BBB reviews, the local newspaper reviews, the Facebook reviews, and even Reddit reviews, and they are exceptionally busy. I suppose there's a chance they could have faked all those aforementioned reviews and paid some sort of bot army to write hundreds of glowing reviews, and paid to have all the bad reviews scrubbed (there's hardly a single bad review other than a handful of complaints about wait time), but I suspect that it's more likely that the bulk, if not all, of the reviews are organic, and I do highly suspect that the issues I've experienced had more to do with an overwhelmed shop that literally everyone in the city wants to visit because they're so highly rated. Maybe I'm just the one guy who fell through the cracks of an extremely busy but well-meaning place.

Last edited:
New update to my "bent steel wheel" situation.

Shop sent me the video the tech took of my "bent steel rims"

Can you guys check it out and tell me what's wrong?

In the first one it looks like maybe a lack of concentricity but difficult to say. In the second one MY take is just the wheel weight playing tricks on the eye.

I don't see how they can be clinging to this when their recommended wheel experts gave your wheels a clean bill of health?

GP suspects you have heart issues, refers you to cardiologist. Cardiologist runs a battery of tests and declares you're pumping blood like an 18 year-old. GP looks at you and still insists you have heart issues......?????????????

In the first one it looks like maybe a lack of concentricity but difficult to say. In the second one MY take is just the wheel weight playing tricks on the eye.

I don't see how they can be clinging to this when their recommended wheel experts gave your wheels a clean bill of health?

GP suspects you have heart issues, refers you to cardiologist. Cardiologist runs a battery of tests and declares you're pumping blood like an 18 year-old. GP looks at you and still insists you have heart issues......?????????????
I've asked my shop to again please clarify what they're talking about and they said they're going to talk to the tech when he returns to work.

I've asked my shop to again please clarify what they're talking about and they said they're going to talk to the tech when he returns to work.
You've told them THEIR expert(s) that they REFERRED you to say the wheels are good??

Also as I said before you might be surprised how "imperfect" wheels are and rarely cause noticeable symptoms.

I'm guessing if you rotated front to rear you'd also find similar visual imperfections.

Put the front end on jack stands and start the car, and put it in D. You'll see if the rims are bent or warped enough to matter.
TBH I think your mechanic is looking for excuses for bad axles since the problem only showed up after...
"Unfortunately" I have to agree.
In other words I hate to think that the shop is doing that but that's what it looks like.

Back