Why do older folks hate on Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well..?all i have to say is back in the eighties when i was in high school i had a 69 chevy and i did an intake swap and i used penzoil for the first time.the engine was pretty clean on the inside.3 thousand miles later i wanted to change intakes again and there was a build up of crud on the inside of the lifter valley that wasn't there 3 thousand miles ago.i never used penzoil again.but,with todays oil standards and formulations i would'nt be scared to use penzoil again.when i did a camshaft swap later the build up on the inside of the lifter valley never got worse or changed.thats my only experience with it.

Pennzoil bought Quaker State in 1998. Royal Dutch Shell bought Pennzoil in 2002. Both Quaker State and Pennzoil oils are now core Shell products. I suspect that Shell sells far more oil in the United States under the Quaker State and Pennzoil brands than it does under the Formula Shell brand.

Who cares about the quality (or lack thereof) of Pennzoil or Quaker State products in the 1970's?

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX

Who cares about the quality (or lack thereof) of Pennzoil or Quaker State products in the 1970's?

Well this is what the OP was talking about. There are a lot of "old timers" that would never touch the stuff with a ten foot pole based on their experiences 30-40 years ago.

I agree though, with today's standards it is hard to find a bad oil!

Well, at least her dad didn't whip you in the butt with a dipstick!
spankme2.gif

An old guy I work with (55yrs old) uses PYB exclusively. In his Dodge Ram, Ford Escape, Olds Cutlass, International Tractor, and his fleet of John Deere tractors. Just cause one old guy you met doesnt like Pennzoil, doesnt meen the majority of old guys don't like Pennzoil
smirk2.gif

Pennzoil had a bad name back in the 70's because it was a "dirty" oil and did cause build up in engines. It was a very good oil but you couldn't even think about long drain intervals with it.

Quaker State was another very good oil but if you mixed it with anything else it caused BIG problems with sludge.

Both of these problems have been solved since both oils have been re-formulated for todays cars. At least I know Pennzoil has been reformulated. I'm ASSUMING Quaker State has been also.

THAT is why many older people don't like Pennzoil. It DID cause a lot of build up if you left it in there too long.

I used Pennzoil in the 70's, and never had any kind of sludge issues ever. I was constantly pulling valve covers and oil pans, never any issues. I think a lot of it is rumors that just won't die. JMO

55 yrs. old is not old. I am 71 and realize that Pennzoil through this website, is a very good choice.For the most part you could pay more but you are not getting more.As someone wrote best bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Originally Posted By: pickled
The ladies dig the bad boys...start the relationship off right! Get him a 5 quart YB special from wally world as a gift.

Her mom took her new G6 in to get an intake leak fixed that sounded like a cricket when she would accelerate and I tried to get her to tell him that they did an oil change while she was there and they used Pennzoil. She thought it was funny but she wouldn't do it.

GM is still having intake gasket problems?? Cheesh,when will those bozos learn?

I am 65. I used Pennzoil all through the 70s and into the 80s.I don't recall ever having any issues what so ever. I did change the oil regularly and kept the PVC clean. That is key to not having problems. I even used Pennzoil in a couple of motorcycles with out any problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
Pennzoil had a bad name back in the 70's because it was a "dirty" oil and did cause build up in engines. It was a very good oil but you couldn't even think about long drain intervals with it.

Quaker State was another very good oil but if you mixed it with anything else it caused BIG problems with sludge.

Both of these problems have been solved since both oils have been re-formulated for todays cars. At least I know Pennzoil has been reformulated. I'm ASSUMING Quaker State has been also.

THAT is why many older people don't like Pennzoil. It DID cause a lot of build up if you left it in there too long.

IMO, both Pennzoil & Quaker State had good reputations in the 70s as 'Pennsylvania grade' oils and were marketed as such. Even their names alluded to the Pennsylvania connection.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Originally Posted By: pickled
The ladies dig the bad boys...start the relationship off right! Get him a 5 quart YB special from wally world as a gift.

Her mom took her new G6 in to get an intake leak fixed that sounded like a cricket when she would accelerate and I tried to get her to tell him that they did an oil change while she was there and they used Pennzoil. She thought it was funny but she wouldn't do it.

GM is still having intake gasket problems?? Cheesh,when will those bozos learn?

Yea she has had a lot of problems from that car not to mention the conv. hard top sounds like its going to fly off at any moment with all the wind noise and rattling. She regrets buying it and I dont blame her. Her husband is a hard core american car guy that has old pontiacs and I couldnt even get her to consider anything other than a GM product because of what he might say.

I don't know how I survived the 60's. Used QS in all my cars, SBC, 6 cyl Jaguar, Porsche 911, Mustang GT and a 427 FE Ford dirt track car. OCI of 3000 miles, except for the track car. Not a bit of trouble.

The guy I work with said that his father always used Quaker State back in the day 50's 60's 70's, but sometime in the 60-70's he was turned off by Q.S. and started using PYB. He said that the Q.S. of the day was turning gummy, or sluggy. He didnt get into details about it like some BITOG'ers would but what ever he saw from OC's with QS was enough to change brands. Like its been said before these are all irrelevent issues today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back