Why do older folks hate on Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i am about to top off the oil in my girlfriends truck when her step dad spots me with a bottle of PYB and says "Who uses Pennzoil?" Then he goes on to talk about how it is garbage oil and has gunked up several engines he has torn down in the past. He says the only oil to use is Castrol. Dont get me wrong I have no problem with Castrol. I have torn down several Datsun L series engines and Nissan SR engines and have always used PYB and they always look clean inside. BTW he also made the comment that Pennzoil it sucks unless it has been changed since the 70s. I know it has been changed but i just want some good hard facts for arguments sake.

Why do older folks hate on Pennzoil?

Multiple choice:

1) Turned off by those new fangled plastic bottles

2) Always hated waxing those old floors and concerned about wax buildup

3) Thinks yellow is for woosies

P.S. Anyone who says, the ONLY oil to use is brand X is someone who is not very knowledegable about oil

If I were 15, I'd be respectfull and try to learn something.

I'm 30 now, I'd ask him is he knows so [censored] much why am I the one filling this?

Last edited:
If Pennzoil today was so bad they wouldn't have the market share they have and I'm sure the FTC would have pulled their product.

Let him be idiot-taxed by the higher price of Castrol while you are just fine with the Pennzoil.
grin2.gif

Its fine... the specs that oils have to pass nowadays put to bed the "age-old" Pennzoil causes buildup stories. Pennzoil is one of the better mainstream oils out there.

Rest easy, at least you are attempting to take care of her vehicle!! Most people could care less!

BTW I in no way meant any disrespect to any older folks on here im 23 and still have a lot to learn I know. It just seems like a lot of older people don't like Pennzoil for some reason. The majority of my engine experience is with nissans and I have had some big power sr engines and they never had any problems with Pennzoil.

I'm old I think, 66, and I happen to like Pennzoil. I use PP, or Mobil 1 in both of my cars.

If Pennzoil wasn't an excellent oil they would have been gone long ago.

My father hates QS.In the early 70s QS had a problem with cold weather and he lost the engine in his 68 Ford LTD.
Who knows maybe something similar happened years ago.
To this day my father wont even look at a QS bottle never mind put it in his engine.

I am in my fifties, and have used either the yellow bottle, or even changes from bulk, with no problem on many cars and trucks. I really think they have made quality products for years. No much for their current TV marketing, but then again I don't particularly care for alot of marketing gurus.

When I was younger I heard all of the Pennzoil hatred - even from mechanics and service-writers. my dad's impala toasted a camshaft at 55k miles. it musta been the Pennzoil. my girlfriends olds had crusty stuff on the rockers at 20k miles. once again, it musta been the Pennzoil. there was heavy rumor that Pennzoil contained parafin that would wax and gel up. hey, it all sounded good, right?!?!?

now that I am a little more educated, I have the following to say about Pennzoil:

Consumer Reports tested oil many years back, and Pennzoil was the best-performing dino. Only M1 beat it. (that was the only synthetic tested) I have a friend (my age) who has always used Pennzoil and puts 200k+ miles on his cars.

I've gotta believe that Pennzoil, is, and was always, a top-notch oil. As far as dads impala toasting a camshaft, the 229 did have a batch of soft camshafts, chevy paid for the repair, and who knows what OCI dad used. People used some pretty long OCI's back then!! and apparently now, with the prevalence of leased cars.

I have also caught grief from the grey hairs' by using Quaker State, and others. so... the best response is a nod, and perhaps, "Pennzoil's new formula is a top-rated product according to used oil analysis reports posted at the BITOG site - and people are using it with great success in their cars.

or perhaps you simply use the Castrol in front of him.
of course, if you are daring, you could comment on what you're gonna do in the truck later....

I wonder if Johnny can shed some light on this.
After all he is our resident Pennzoil expert.

I'm on another forum where the biggest Pennzoil basher is an old guy who bases his dislike of the brand on some old heap he tore down back in the 60s. It was full of sludge, and had "supposedly" used Pennzoil. Yeah, right. Probably a dozen other brands as well. In fact, between the Pennzoil bashing and his mentions of various Hooters girls he claims to know, he wouldn't have much to post about at all.

Last edited:
Quote:
[/quote]any oil will sludge given enough time in the engine. most of the anecdotes ignore OCI
Thats what i tried to tell him hes just so set in his way of thinking. I said you could use any oil and if you follow the OCI. His response was "Yea you have to change that Pennzoil every thousand miles."

In approximately 40 years of driving I've used Valvoline for about 35 of them.......I have had two major engine failures......both of them were in about a two year period that I switched to Pennzoil.
The last few years I have been using Supertech full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: saaber1

P.S. Anyone who says, the ONLY oil to use is brand X is someone who is not very knowledgeable about oil

Amen!

Bill

PS: or trying to sell something...

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
BTW he also made the comment that Pennzoil it sucks unless it has been changed since the 70s.

I'm sure Pennzoil is using the exact same formulation they used in the '70's. Not.

Do you like the girl? Then you'll probably want to get off on the right foot and humor his stupidity.

If you want to dump the girl tell him what an idiot he is.

If you're really courageous tell him what an idiot he is then ask to marry the girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back