2003 Chrysler minivan - Mobil 1 0w40 or GC 0W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used Chrysler Voyager with 3.3l engine and 150000 miles last summer. The whole van is in great shape and the engine must have seen a lot of highway miles. Anyway I used the full synthetics I had in my basement (Pennzoil, Maxlife, Mobil 1) and no leaks and very little oil consumption. I am now going to buy oil and I'm debating between Mobil 1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30 because of the high mileage and I live in Minnesota. Availability is a big thing and I can get Mobil 1 0W-40 at WalMart (just started having it again), Auto Zone and FleetFarm.
GC 0W-30 I can get at Auto Zone and Pep Boys.

Mobil 1 according to data sheets has a higher VI and TBN and a low MRV @ -40C. GC seems to have less shearing than Mobil 1 according to these forums.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

First of all
welcome2.gif

To answer your question. Neither.

The van has 150k on what oil? Prob bulk 5w-30 conventional which is a excellent oil.

My sister has a 1993 Caravan with 230k on it and lost the water pump last year and really overheated it. She runs Valvoline or Pennzoil mostly 5w-30 and while she got lucky with the overheat, once the water pump was replaced she has had no further problems.

You do not need not would I recommend anything like the 40wt or 0w-30. I'd run a good 5w-30 for a 5k oci.

The engine will get the best protection and MPG with the 5w-30.

Take care, bill

PS: My sister lives 30 miles for the Canada boarder in MT. She knows about cold weather.

+1

5w-30 Pennzoil/Valvoline conventional and a purolator/wix filter gets my vote

Quote:
You do not need not would I recommend anything like the 40wt or 0w-30. I'd run a good 5w-30 for a 5k oci.

(wow, sleep is a good thing... Too bad I did not sleep too well last night...)
LOL.gif

Let me correct...

You do not need nor would I recommend anything like a 40wt or 0w-30. I'd run a good 5w-30 for a 5k OCI.

Sorry. Bill

PS: If you want to run a syn, still a 5w-30 will do you fine.

Originally Posted By: john1944
I purchased a used Chrysler Voyager with 3.3l engine and 150000 miles last summer. The whole van is in great shape and the engine must have seen a lot of highway miles. Anyway I used the full synthetics I had in my basement (Pennzoil, Maxlife, Mobil 1) and no leaks and very little oil consumption. I am now going to buy oil and I'm debating between Mobil 1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30 because of the high mileage and I live in Minnesota. Availability is a big thing and I can get Mobil 1 0W-40 at WalMart (just started having it again), Auto Zone and FleetFarm.
GC 0W-30 I can get at Auto Zone and Pep Boys.

Mobil 1 according to data sheets has a higher VI and TBN and a low MRV @ -40C. GC seems to have less shearing than Mobil 1 according to these forums.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have 2 3.3 GC's.

I run M1 5w-30 in my wifes 2000 with 110K miles and change it once a year. Last OC went 11,400 miles and used ABOUT 3/4qt.

The 94 GC 221K miles gets whatever is on sale, usually 5w-30, but I've used everything up to 15-40. Gets a 1 year OCI also.

Both have been A-RXed, but I couldn't see any difference after.

I also use LC20 in the oil, and FP60 in the gas when I think about it.

I personally think the GC would be a very good choice for this vehicle too.But,as the others suggested,you cant go wrong with those options either.

The 3.3 Litre engines are bullet proof... Use any cheap Dino oil and it will give you a minimum of 350,000KM. They are good solid engines that Chrysler has perfected over the years... It's the trannie you should worry about. My dad worked for Chrysler for 20 years and has been a mechanic for 35 years so I have a bit of knowledge... Don't waste your money on synthetic with these engines... You can if you want more miles than above, but trust me when I say these are really great engines...

I have a 2000 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 that I bought new. It has 150,000 miles on it now. The first 75,000 mile were on M1 5w30, the last 75,000 miles have been on GC 0w30 with a maintenance dose of auto-rx.

My van really likes the GC!! I plan to contiunue to use it forever, or until the van pases on..

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The 3.3 Litre engines are bullet proof... Use any cheap Dino oil and it will give you a minimum of 350,000KM. They are good solid engines that Chrysler has perfected over the years... It's the trannie you should worry about. My dad worked for Chrysler for 20 years and has been a mechanic for 35 years so I have a bit of knowledge... Don't waste your money on synthetic with these engines... You can if you want more miles than above, but trust me when I say these are really great engines...

I trust you Stevie
thumbsup2.gif
Seriously though,I had a 1992 Chrysler New Yorker.And that had the 3.3l (200cid)motor in it.You are absolutely right when you say don`t worry about the motor,it`s the trans that will be of concern.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I trust you Stevie
thumbsup2.gif
Seriously though,I had a 1992 Chrysler New Yorker.And that had the 3.3l (200cid)motor in it.You are absolutely right when you say don`t worry about the motor,it`s the trans that will be of concern.

I only speak from experience... I mean my dad worked for Chrysler for 20 years and was a mechanic for over 35 years... I know the Chrysler product line like the back of my hand...

The 3.3 Litre old or new / 3.8 Litre are practically the same engine and you can't kill-em it's like dragging a fat lady away from a buffet. It won't happen!
crackmeup2.gif

I have further researched both oils (M1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30) and have decided not to use either one. Instead I am going to try Royal Purple 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: john1944
I have further researched both oils (M1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30) and have decided not to use either one. Instead I am going to try Royal Purple 0W-40.

What made you decide on Royal Purple? What is the price difference (per quart) of the RP versus the M1 or GC (I'm betting it's higher).

The MRV @ -40C for RP is 20000
MRV @ -40C for M1 is 26242
MRV @ -40C for GC is 60000

Lower MRV is better. Also I was going to get it at Pep Boys on sale until I found out Pep Boys does not carry RP 0W-40. Will have to reassess my options.

John RP is way overkill on this engine... Any Dino oil at 6,000 Mile change intervals even in the winter will perform fine. They are easy on oil and last a very very long time.

Don't waste your money.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back