How good is pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
x2. I'm going to call my Autozone regional office and request them to make this weight of PP available to us.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Now if only I'd see it in the stores in 0w20!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: 3putter
PP meets GM 4718m specs which very few synthetics do. You can run it in a Corvette or any other high performance GM vehicle in production. That says alot for it right there.

Indeed.

It also meets Honda HTO-06, which the only other oil to meet is M1.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
PP meets GM 4718m specs which very few synthetics do. You can run it in a Corvette or any other high performance GM vehicle in production. That says alot for it right there.

x3,

It works great in my high performance Sierra (ha ha). I'm on my first run and have nothing but great things to say about it. And it's usually the lowest price syn you can but.

Wallmart here in So. CA is selling the single quarts for $4.01 each in all weights. I just picked up a six pack as I'm less then 1k from reaching my self imposed OCI (oil change interval). Make sure to pick up a good oil & air filter too.

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
i have heard from a veteran truch mechanic at my work that this stuff will clog up my engine.
*Sigh*

I'm too young (52) to remember when this old wives tale got started, but rest assured it wasn't true then, and it isn't true now. I use PP in both of my Mercury Marauders, one of which is supercharged and driven in a "spirited" fashion
grin2.gif
while the other has almost 115,000 miles and still runs like a Swiss watch. No sludge/wax/gunk in either motor.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
i have heard from a veteran truch mechanic at my work that this stuff will clog up my engine.
*Sigh*

I'm too young (52) to remember when this old wives tale got started, but rest assured it wasn't true then, and it isn't true now. I use PP in both of my Mercury Marauders, one of which is supercharged and driven in a "spirited" fashion
grin2.gif
while the other has almost 115,000 miles and still runs like a Swiss watch. No sludge/wax/gunk in either motor.

Aren't they all supercharged?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
*Sigh*

grin2.gif

Aren't they all supercharged?

No, they have the 32V 4.6L.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
On the Amsoil website, SSO meets HTO-06 as well.

No. It does not. It's "recommended for" HTO-06. It's not approved by Honda.

Synthetic oils have impurities refined out of them so they could not clog up your motor.

PP is good. Use it myself.

After much research on this site and elsewhere, I am moving my vehicles over to PP (from M1). My T4R, Yaris and soon to have Mazada 3 will all get PP. My son's Jeep Wrangler with nearly 170k miles on the V6 gets YB.

I only use PP in ALL my vehicles...it is the "Mother's Milk" of synthetics....
grin2.gif
Plus I have 100 quarts in the basement from the 2007 AAP BOGO.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
On the Amsoil website, SSO meets HTO-06 as well.

No. It does not. It's "recommended for" HTO-06. It's not approved by Honda.

Am I missing something?

http://www.amsoil.com/news/2008_april_signatureseries.pdf

I'm not sure how Amsoil reached the conclusion, but it's apparently it's approved by Amsoil. Pretty bold claim then?

Last edited:
That's how they do all of their approvals outside of the API cert on the XL series.

They are all "recommended for" applications based on AMSOIL's own testing.

I'm not knocking the process; they make a great product! But this is a common point of confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's how they do all of their approvals outside of the API cert on the XL series.

They are all "recommended for" applications based on AMSOIL's own testing.

I'm not knocking the process; they make a great product! But this is a common point of confusion.

Interesting. Are you saying that using SSO in RDX would void the warranty?

No. They would have to prove that the lubricant caused a failure. But AMSOIL offers their own warranty anyways.

As I understand it... Amsoil only does API Certification on it's XL Series engine oil because of the high cost to have them certified and to make owners happy and sleep easy at night that they are using a warranty approved oil certified by the API.

Amsoil chooses not to certify their other oils because of the high cost, the restrictions of how much ZDDP and other additives they can put in the oil because of standards set out by the API, and because they are always tweaking their formulations which would mean they would have to re certify their oils again and again adding extra costs. Not only that but all the cost saving in not having them certified allows them to do more research and make the oils even better all the time.

Just because an oil is not certified by the API, or you choose to run it longer than the Manufacturers Oil Change Interval is not a factor for a car manufacturer to deny your warranty claim. They have to prove that it was the lubricants fault and that it somehow failed to meet the standards set out by the manufacturer.

It is certainly easier for the MFG. to prove it was the lubricants fault from their point of view, if you choose to use an oil like Amsoil which isn't API certified, however it's not the final say.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from all the reading I have done this is what the correct answer is.

cheers3.gif

You have to be careful when you read "certification", "approval", "approved" etc etc etc. They all have a well paid lawyer/marketing rep wording everything. For example, theres a huge sine in the shopping window that says 70% off!!!The buyer heads for the front doors, wow 70% off he says...AHHH, but lets look a little closer, in teenie weanie print under 70% it says "up to"....Hmmmmm So he walks in the store and everything is 40%, he asks the cashier what about 70%, she tells him, ohh thats the one rack off clothes in the back with 10 shirts on it.So the 2 little words "up to" gets them off the hook legally. Marketers are very canny in how they word/disquise what really is going on. The consumer must pay very close attention to what is written, less you be deceived.

Last edited:
HARTZKSKY, I'm confused by your post. I think I was perfectly clear that AMSOIL are not approved oils with the exception of their XL series...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back