How good is pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch out for the wording.....Marketers love using words, as do attorneys, to prove a very specific point...One thing that attorneys dislike is going to court, if they can settle out of court it is better than going to court. Because by going to court, they may lose. By settling out of court, they make money no matter what, by going to court, they may lose their share of the proceeds of the legal action...

Great product
Great UOA's

The old stories probably had more to do with so many people using Pennzoil back then. If more people used it the possiblity of more vehicles with sludge issues that used it would be understandable.

Originally Posted By: inmate
Does Penzoil Platium burn fast?

noack is average, but performs very well in high heat applications, hence the HTO-6 certification. Oil burning is engine dependent more than oil dependent IMO.

Remember the certification is in the 5-30 flavor. 4 old wives are putting PP in their cars this weekend. Mable, Clara , Mildred, Emily, and I am not sure if she is a old wife, Lady Ga Ga.

I tried Penn Plat 5W30 in the Jetta last year after reading rave reviews about it here. Well, after dealing with a noticeably noisier engine for a week, especially at higher rpms, I drained it out. That could have been from the thinner 30wt in an engine with a valvetrain engineered for 40wt, but either way, I drained it and refilled with my old standby(and what was used exclusively prior to the Penn Plat experiment).....Shell Rotella Syn 5W40. All the valvetrain noise went away and I vowed to never switch oils again.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
I tried Penn Plat 5W30 in the Jetta last year after reading rave reviews about it here. Well, after dealing with a noticeably noisier engine for a week, especially at higher rpms, I drained it out. That could have been from the thinner 30wt in an engine with a valvetrain engineered for 40wt, but either way, I drained it and refilled with my old standby(and what was used exclusively prior to the Penn Plat experiment).....Shell Rotella Syn 5W40. All the valvetrain noise went away and I vowed to never switch oils again.

I think you can switch oils if you want to, but you should just use one that's spec'd for your engine. PP is fine oil, but it doesn't meet the 503.00 or A3 spec for HT/HS. There's nothing wrong with the oil, it's simply the wrong oil for your application.

Whatever Pennzoil wasn't or was 'back in the day', it is not now. Shell = Pennzoil = Shell. If you like Shell products, you should like Pennzoil. Pennzoil is just a brand within SOPUS with name recognition that had enough value for Shell to purchase them several years ago. I did not use Pennzoil products for years because my shop teacher 30 years ago hated Pennzoil for whatever reason. Biases die hard, but they do die---

Last edited:
Do you guys think by any chance that Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra could be same product as Shell Helix Ultra?

EDIT: Discussed already for instance here.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find product information on PP or PU? I've checked their website and couldn't find it as I have on the M1 and Valvoline websites.

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
Most of the time, marketers run their claims through their legal department before advertising.....

Does Castrol?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back