How good is pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Aren't they all supercharged?
Not from the factory...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

I'm too young (52) to remember when this old wives tale got started, but rest assured it wasn't true then, and it isn't true now.
Sure about that?

http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/5806534-post29.html

Quote:
My own experiences with Pennzoil a few years ago was that it left tough, waxy deposits all over the top surface of the heads (different engines, but still aluminum heads). Even though I did not have a lubrication failure of any sort, the idea that internal oil passages might also be accumulating this crud was all I needed to switch.

Last edited:
To be fair he wasn't using the Platinum stuff. I'm not sure the whole thing was some sort of old wives tale though, given his experience with it.

You have to love the other words of "wisdom" there too!

"Avoid Pennzoil like the plague.
You want a good synth like Mobil1 Full
Synthetic thats loaded with the needed Zinc
for proper engine wear.
Most oils are shying
away from incorporating Zinc into their formulas.
Sams club is the worst place to buy oil.
Wal-Mart is the next worst place.

They have the cheap prices because they can buy in bulk.
This allows the manufacturers to give the Wal-Mart corp
a good price but provide sub-standard lubricants to match
the low bid prices.
Its like that with 50% of non-Wal-Mart
produced items. Come on, whats a few more $$s spent
for the good stuff at the Auto-Parts stores?

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Riptide
Norm in particular usually knows what he's talking about. Obviously there are some "newbs" there too.

Sounds like he may be a little off on this one. I used Pennzoil from 1965 to 1987 with absolutly no issues or problems. Never had any sludge. I used Castrol GTX from 1987 to 1996 with out any problems as well. I have used synthetic sense then.

Just my experience,

Don

I have never used Pennzoil products personally, but I had planned to try PP in my wife's car next OC, based on how it is praised on BITOG. I have done some reading on other forums and there are a lot of posts that say similar things about Pennzoil and wax/sludge. PP and YB show good UOA's, but surely ALL those people that don't like pennzoil are not cazy. Is it at all possible that both sides may be partially right. Could certain brands of oil be more likely to leave deposits in certain engines with those deposits not adversely effecting engine performance through the normal life of an engine? Would small amounts of deposits ever be noticed unless an engine was disassembled to some degree?

It's a great oil. I prefer it for smaller engines requiring the lighter weight oils. My sister ran 5W-30 PP in her 02 Civic with the 1.7 (I think) for 13,000 miles, and the oil level was right at the top of the dipstick, where it was 13,000 miles ago.

For my older engines, higher mileage engines, and V8's... I prefer German Castrol. Like a little more viscosity in those engines.

Originally Posted By: jshaw
I have never used Pennzoil products personally, but I had planned to try PP in my wife's car next OC, based on how it is praised on BITOG. I have done some reading on other forums and there are a lot of posts that say similar things about Pennzoil and wax/sludge. PP and YB show good UOA's, but surely ALL those people that don't like pennzoil are not cazy. Is it at all possible that both sides may be partially right. Could certain brands of oil be more likely to leave deposits in certain engines with those deposits not adversely effecting engine performance through the normal life of an engine? Would small amounts of deposits ever be noticed unless an engine was disassembled to some degree?

I started driving in 1960. Auto motives have been a life long hobby. 45 years worth. I restored cars for over 20 years. Frame up jobs,with all work done by me. I have dissembled more engines than I care to remember. I have won 30 best in shows and 2 best in shows on the national level. Have worked in dealer ships 3 times between manufacturing jobs. Have been a manufacturing manager for a tier 1 GM supplier.

In the above post I said that I used Pennzoil from 1965 to 1987. I think that with my automotive back ground that I would know sludge. These are old wives tales or urban legends. Most of these tales came from neglect, not changing oil regularly, gaskets leaking antifreeze, or PVC systems being stopped up. And under these conditions any oil will sludge up. You have people on this forum with much greater knowledge than I have that will dispute all these sludge claims, some with practical experience and some who work, worked in the petroleum industry. If you can't reach a solution on this then just use something else. All the major brands are good in today's market.

Have a very pleasant evening,

Don

Last edited:
Endeavor, would you not agree that Castrol seems to have a bad rep, too, from some mishaps decades ago?

I was one of the ones who thought Pennzoil was a 'sludger oil' for years until I came here. Now I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Just put PP 5w-20 in my 3 about 2 hours ago. First time with this engine/car.

Do you mean a Mazda3? Either way, you'll be fine. If you mean 300z... then I'm not sure. They seem to like a thicker oil.

I don't remember Castrol having a bad rep. I think the mishap was with Quakerstate. I believe Johnny can share some light on this. The biggest thing with Castrol today is people have not forgiven them for the group 3 thing.

I have been using German Castrol for the last 3 years with great results.

Don

Last edited:
Castrol got a bad rep for introducing the world to synthetics that weren't synthetic, and for screwing with the formulation of their GTX, which caused it to not meet spec.

There may be other reasons.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Originally Posted By: jshaw

I started driving in 1960. Auto motives have been a life long hobby. 45 years worth. I restored cars for over 20 years. Frame up jobs,with all work done by me. I have dissembled more engines than I care to remember. I have won 30 best in shows and 2 best in shows on the national level. Have worked in dealer ships 3 times between manufacturing jobs. Have been a manufacturing manager for a tier 1 GM supplier.

In the above post I said that I used Pennzoil from 1965 to 1987. I think that with my automotive back ground that I would know sludge. These are old wives tales or urban legends. Most of these tales came from neglect, not changing oil regularly, gaskets leaking antifreeze, or PVC systems being stopped up. And under these conditions any oil will sludge up. You have people on this forum with much greater knowledge than I have that will dispute all these sludge claims, some with practical experience and some who work, worked in the petroleum industry. If you can't reach a solution on this then just use something else. All the major brands are good in today's market.

Have a very pleasant evening,

Don

I still intend to use PP in our Trailblazer based largely on the information learned on this forum. Before coming to Bitog I never knew how many people used YB and PP. I guess a lot of us have been misinformed about Pennzoil over the years by many who we trusted to give good mechanical advise

Last edited:
Back in the 60s Pennzoil had a column in Hot Rod magazine, Car Craft, Motor Trend and probably others. My memory is not as good as it once was, but I think it was ask the Pennzoil mechanic. They would list a series of questions and answers about oil and maintenance each month. I enjoyed reading them and this impressed me. That's why I started using Pennzoil in the first place.

Then later I got involved with British sports cars and this is where Castrol came in.

Don

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Back in the 60s Pennzoil had a column in Hot Rod magazine, Car Craft, Motor Trend and probably others. My memory is not as good as it once was, but I think it was ask the Pennzoil mechanic. They would list a series of questions and answers about oil and maintenance each month. I enjoyed reading them and this impressed me. That's why I started using Pennzoil in the first place.

Then later I got involved with British sports cars and this is where Castrol came in.

Don

I still have boxes full of those magazines from the 60's, Pennzoil ran full page ads. I should hunt them down, brings memories back of growing up when American cars ruled the roads, and were very highly respected. IIRC STP ran some ads stating how it kept the oil up all night or something like that.

Growing up back then who would have ever thought the Big Three would be in the mess they're in now?????

Frank D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back