YouTube Influencer crashes GA aircraft, questions on a lot of things

So, in a few videos I've watched recently, there is a question of recorded flight hours.

How are flight hours kept in a log and does it get reviewed by any authority?

It comes down to unfamiliarity & inexperience of this air craft. Essentially she didn't know how to adapt the plane's controls correctly. This was an older plane & needs more user input & experience on HOW these adjustments work. Probably less about "Flight hours" & more about lack of knowledge on this plane's adjustment requirements.

Juan Brown has videos out on this one. Based on her previous uploads, a misunderstanding of how the autopilot operates was likely the root cause.

Hours are logged in a physical paper book or electronically. Most pilots log all of their time even though it is only required to log it in certain situations.

The above comments about not understanding the aircraft systems are correct. She also seems to have had a fundamental lack of basic airmanship - for example in one video wondering why the airplane won't climb when she didn't add power. This is normally covered in pilot training, one can't even solo without demonstrating those skills, let alone get a pilots license, though her case seems to be an exception.

My impression is that she was pencil-whipped through the training process without really understanding or demonstrating the skills. That's partly but not entirely her fault, instructors and examiners are supposed to know better.

It's very difficult to believe that woman had over 400 hours flying time. She didn't have a single clue what she was doing. If you watched the bulk of her videos, she was always behind the airplane.

At the 4:00 minute mark in this video, she is "navigating" like she's drunk. How could ALL of the CFI's who flew with her, not call her out on being so preoccupied? It's almost as if she was flying in a daze. Constantly doing everything except flying the plane.

The only thing that surprises me about all of this, is that it took so long for her to have a fatal accident. Sad. Truely a case of more money than brains.... At least when it comes to flying.

The above comments about not understanding the aircraft systems are correct. She also seems to have had a fundamental lack of basic airmanship - for example in one video wondering why the airplane won't climb when she didn't add power. This is normally covered in pilot training, one can't even solo without demonstrating those skills, let alone get a pilots license, though her case seems to be an exception.

My impression is that she was pencil-whipped through the training process without really understanding or demonstrating the skills. That's partly but not entirely her fault, instructors and examiners are supposed to know better.
o.k, I will comment.

I don't care how much extra money I would make, I would never encourage a student to keep trying if it was obvious they just don't get it and are dangerous.

Some pilots ( even after they somehow got their license) do not know how weak they are.

Having an interest doesn't mean they will ever have the ability.

More and more want to be a pilot because it's "cool" I notice ( they admit it ).

I got into flying because I love planes.

Influencer....still not completely sure what that even is.

You can be an 'influencer' or you can be a Pilot in Command.....attempting to perform the two concurrently may be unwise. But, I wasn't there, who knows what actually occurred and I have done a few less than brilliant things in an airplane.

Last edited:
Is that-
A) if you cant say anything nice say nothing at all,
B) Dont speak ill of the dead.
C) All of the above.
D) Other
Sorry, you're wrong here. She was setting a dangerous example for others. A man or woman's got to know their limitations and she clearly wasn't a competent pilot. It's not for everyone.

In addition to the other things mentioned, she was flying a complex aircraft (Beechcraft Debonaire) which was beyond her ability level, as others have mentioned, she was consistently behind the airplane. A Debonaire is a 150knot airplane with retractable gear and high-ish wing loading, which makes for a sharper break on a stall. It also makes it a more difficult plane to use an autopilot on. The Aviation Consumer article on the Debonaire specifically calls out the autopilot, stating that this aircraft is not an aircraft you can just "trim it and forget it" https://www.aviationconsumer.com/aircraftreviews/beech-33-debonair-bonanza/

This lady would have been much better off staying with a 172 or 152.

Lastly, anyone who is a pilot or aspires to be a pilot, does well to learn from the mistakes of others. We can't just sweep this under the rug and say that it isn't our business.

Sorry, you're wrong here. She was setting a dangerous example for others. A man or woman's got to know their limitations and she clearly wasn't a competent pilot. It's not for everyone.

In addition to the other things mentioned, she was flying a complex aircraft (Beechcraft Debonaire) which was beyond her ability level, as others have mentioned, she was consistently behind the airplane. A Debonaire is a 150knot airplane with retractable gear and high-ish wing loading, which makes for a sharper break on a stall. It also makes it a more difficult plane to use an autopilot on. The Aviation Consumer article on the Debonaire specifically calls out the autopilot, stating that this aircraft is not an aircraft you can just "trim it and forget it" https://www.aviationconsumer.com/aircraftreviews/beech-33-debonair-bonanza/

Lastly, anyone who is a pilot or aspires to be a pilot, does well to learn from the mistakes of others. We can't just sweep this under the rug and say that it isn't our business.

You appear to have misunderstood me. What am I wrong about?
I was asking why @Just a civilian pilot was no comment.
I dont disagree with anything said.
I havent heard any reason why all her youtube videos were removed.. hopefully they are available for the investigation.

Some video excepts showed she had no business flying at least not in her "new" airplane.

Last edited:
I saw a TNflygirl video where she gets lost shortly after taking off and she is flying with here dad (not the same flight they got killed).

I think she was under self induced pressure to make flying videos / YouTube content when she needed more training in a more basic aircraft as someone previously mentioned. She needed to still be flying with a quality flight instructor and slowly building up her proficiency.

Buying an aircraft was a mistake. She got easily disoriented on a sunny, clear day when she was on a short flight to another airport / city.

RIP.

Last edited:
You appear to have misunderstood me. What am I wrong about?
I was asking why @Just a civilian pilot was no comment.
I dont disagree with anything said.
I havent heard any reason why all her youtube videos were removed.. hopefully they are available for the investigation.

Some video excepts showed she had no business flying at least not in her "new" airplane.

Family probably requested YouTube remove all her videos.

Like Clint Eastwood said, a man ( woman ) need to know their limitations.

Juan Brown has videos out on this one. Based on her previous uploads, a misunderstanding of how the autopilot operates was likely the root cause.

Hours are logged in a physical paper book or electronically. Most pilots log all of their time even though it is only required to log it in certain situations.
I was , very, surprised to learn not long ago that pilots in Canada , even airline pilots, are required to keep an up to date logbook.

I stopped logging my hours in 2000 until I almost got laid off ( again, chapter 11 ) and applied to Emirates airlines ( 2004 ). They said I need to show up for the interview with an updated, certified log book.

I worked like crazy to update my log book and promised I would never let it go again after that ( but was still lazy not totalling every page until last year ).

I eventually turned down the interview and don’t regret it.

Back