Boeing "Announces" The "Return" Of The 727 ????

Many of the older jets were / are louder. But the noise can be attenuated with, "hush kits". They're basically a set of dispersal vanes that are attached to the rear exhaust nozzles of the engines.

There are many older Lear Jets that are equipped with the older, (circa 1960's), General Electric CJ610 engines that are equipped with these kits. They are somewhat expensive to install, but they reduce the decibel level of many of these older engines, so they meet EPA / FAA noise levels.

This is one such kit installed on a older 727.

1701865873309.png

CJ610's are unbelievably loud even with hush kits. Louder still when you get a compressor stall when you're in the left seat doing a run up and it stalls when the moron in the seat to my right runs it up to full power even though it was red tagged to specifically not to.

I'll tell that story some other time....

CJ610's are unbelievably loud even with hush kits. Louder still when you get a compressor stall when you're in the left seat doing a run up and it stalls when the moron in the seat to my right runs it up to full power even though it was red tagged to specifically not to.

I'll tell that story some other time....
I had a compressor stall while doing a run-up once. Scared the crapola outta me!

I'm surprised they didn't tell them not to listen to the radio. :rolleyes:
Lol I try to charge my stuff in the truck through the day, so I don't have to pay for hydro to charge it. I don't think I'd be able to notice the fuel economy hit.

I'm pretty sure the noise was from the engine design. I'm sure it wouldn't have been as simple as just dropping a new engine in there. Especially with FAA or other certifications as well as getting an exact fit for the tail engine.

In any case, the 727 was replaced by the 757. I would expect that the 757 would be brought back before they would even consider a 727 revival.

I had a compressor stall while doing a run-up once. Scared the crapola outta me!
A DC10 Captain rejected the take off ( above V1, and very heavy ) in Vancouver many years ago thinking a bomb went off , it was that loud. Aircraft went off the runway.

Never had one. Never heard one , so far.

Hopefully, I never do.

Love the new avatar ( my oil never gets that black lol ).

Would the high rear engines be better for dirt strips? 737's I'd think are dirt strip fod mosters. Recips best for dirt, and spool up fast when you need it.

I heard Boeing is bringing back the 75 aka Stearman, for people who would rather fly themselves.
There will be 30 at every airport, just swipe your credit card, and take off after watching the 8 minute YouTube instructional how to fly video.
For further details, wait for my coming soon video on this subject.

Are compressor stalls a common occurrence?
Depends on the engine. More common that catastrophic failures, but not what one would call “common”. Mean time between failures on most modern turbofans is over 20,000 hours.

Re: B727 and gravel strips.

Not sure if it was better, but an airline I used to fly for ( Sub Arctic & high Arctic ) operated them on short, gravel strips. They also operated the B737. Both required a gravel kit.

Wikipedia: The 727 has proven to be popular where the airline serves airports with gravel, or otherwise lightly improved, runways. The Canadian airline First Air, for example, previously used a 727-100C to serve the communities of Resolute Bay and Arctic Bay in Nunavut, whose Resolute Bay Airport and former Nanisivik Airport both have gravel runways. The high-mounted engines greatly reduce the risk of foreign object damage

Last edited:
Depends on the engine. More common that catastrophic failures, but not what one would call “common”. Mean time between failures on most modern turbofans is over 20,000 hours.
One more question, do commercial jet engines have any sort of health monitoring and telemetry directly to the manufacturers?

One more question, do commercial jet engines have any sort of health monitoring and telemetry directly to the manufacturers?
Yes. And our airline regularly monitors their performance in flight.

20+ years ago, in the South Pacific, flying a 747-400, I saw the Satcom transmitting in data mode.

It was our maintenance folks, checking engine performance, halfway around the world, while we were flying to Australia.

Modern engines have more sophisticated monitoring and performance analysis and prediction.

The 727 will never make a comeback, but a new clean sheet T-tail twin engine aircraft with no relation to the 727 or MD-80 could be made in the future. It would be one way to get higher bypass engines on without having to put it under the wing. Also to make the plane low to the ground like the 737 is now, although most places have jet bridges these days.

Back