Small Plane Crash on Take Off - Student Pilot

Clearly, it is better if one does not "auger in" to a ditch. There are quite a few serious accidents that tragically involve some form of unforgiving terrain or obstacle. We've all seen the car crash that hit the only telephone pole or tree in the entire area.

I don't have any issues with female pilots, but this accident clearly highlights a situation I've never considered. Where a student overpowers the flight instructor. I'd guess she him to let go and for what ever reason, he could not comply.

Should he be held accountable?

An overpowered CFI is a possibility, but I wouldn't rule out inaction or improper action on the instructor's part either. Complacency and/or lack of defensive positioning, distraction, etc. could've also played a part.

This will be interesting if the press ever reports the outcome or if someone in here knows a source for the investigation.
There was a 3rd passenger maybe will be able shed some light on all of this if they and the student recover.

By the way, one of the best books describing how airplanes work is "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche - as relevant and accessible today as it was in 1944, when it was first written. I highly recommend it.

Still the most important book about flying ever and a lot of pilots don't even know it or even completely understand some of the concepts explained in the book. Familiarity with the stall and recovery should be the first thing taught and understood about fixed wing aircraft.

Didn't something similar happen to that little girl, (Jessica Dubroff)? Back in the 90's she and her father were trying to set some type of long distance cross country record, with her being the, "youngest pilot". Or some such nonsense.

They took off in Wyoming I believe, in bad weather. The plane was overloaded, stalled, and crashed into someones driveway. All 3 people, including her were killed on impact. I believe it, "augered in" as Cujet put it. The impact area was very small.

Didn't something similar happen to that little girl, (Jessica Dubroff)? Back in the 90's she and her father were trying to set some type of long distance cross country record, with her being the, "youngest pilot". Or some such nonsense.

They took off in Wyoming I believe, in bad weather. The plane was overloaded, stalled, and crashed into someones driveway. All 3 people, including her were killed on impact. I believe it, "augered in" as Cujet put it. The impact area was very small.
Bad weather and overloaded. Kinda sealed the deal

When your flying and someone trys to take over the controls that is when the pilot should have an electric stun device. That is just horrible she had to pass on because of that.

Bad weather and overloaded. Kinda sealed the deal
It was also in the summertime-afternoon, and field elevation was ~8,000’ MSL.
Density altitude according to NTSB report was estimated at ~14,000’.
Calculated climb rate was estimated at less than 200fpm.

I’ve twice observed a student “panic “ at the controls.
First was a female instructor at an airport I frequented. A new student who was 6ft+ and 250lbs+ froze at the controls and a/c stalled (Cessna 152). 115lb female instructor. A/C was determined to be just over gross weight and just aft of CG limit). Instructor was heard over Unicom screaming at the student to “let go” as one of them was holding down the transmit button. A/C destroyed on impact.

Second was a new student who had been accepted to Airforce flight training. He was a 5’6” collegiate gymnast. Built like a weight lifter. He was using a friends dad’s C-172 for familiarity training. He’s the only student I’ve ever had who panicked and responded to his first take-off/departure stall by pulling full aft on the controls instead of pushing forward. I had to elbow him twice in the temple to get him to relax at the controls! (A defense technique I’d been taught in LE training).
He went on to complete airforce training and last I heard was flying F16’s !!!
It’s not a common reaction!
It was my first thoughts on reading the accident summary.

Airspeed, Angle of Attack (AOA), pitch attitude, and stall are all related, but it’s complex.

So, let’s break it down.

AOA is the angle between the relative wind, the air moving over the airplane, and a reference line ascribed to the wing, known as the mean chord line. The precise definitions aren’t as important as this: lift increases with increasing AOA, until you hit the stall AOA.

When the wing hits stall AOA, airflow over the top of the wing becomes turbulent, lift is lost, you usually have buffet, and usually a big increase in drag (this last bit is important). The relationship between AOA, lift, drag, and stall, all depend on the shape of the wing. A 172 has a simple wing, with clearly defined stall, and a very sharp drop in lift. A jet liner, for example, with a swept wing, aerodynamic twist, and a supercritical shape, has a much less defined stall. But it will still begin to stall at some AOA.

A wing will always stall at precisely the same AOA. Always. Keep that bit in mind.

So, the relationship between AOA and lift, then, is pretty simple - more AOA equals more lift up to stall, then more AOA equals less lift.

But we need enough lift for the airplane to fly. So, we need lots of air moving over the wing. Without enough air, there just isn’t enough lift. Think of a jetliner on takeoff, they get going pretty fast, so that there is enough lift to carry the weight of the airplane.

More airspeed equals more lift. In fact, it’s a square relationship, but again, the precise nature isn’t as important as the fact that more speed equals more lift, and you need enough lift to keep the plane in the air.

So, you need both airspeed and AOA to get enough lift to counter gravity. The force of lift acting on the airplane has to be equal to or greater than the force of gravity for it to fly.

If I’m low on airspeed, I need more AOA to get enough lift. That works, right up to stall AOA. If I’ve got lots of airspeed, I don’t need much AOA to create the lift.

It gets more complicated if the airplane is in a bank, and part of that lifting force is now pointing away from the ground. Some of the lift is used to counteract gravity. Some of the lift is now pointing to the inside of the turn and being used to turn the airplane to a different heading. In this case, I need more lift. It’s a physics vector thing. The vector of lift is always perpendicular to the wing. So, in a bank, there is a lift vector, which means that lifting force has a direction as well as a magnitude.

Which means, in a bank, we need a bit more total lift. So, we can increase our AOA just a bit (if we aren’t close to stall) and get a bit more lift. So, in a turn, at the same speed, we must be at a higher AOA than we would be for the same weight aircraft in wings-level flight. Rolling into a turn at low airspeed can create a stall as the pilot increases AOA to stay aloft. This is important for understanding but not critical to understanding this accident, since this accident happened when the airplane was wings level.

So, what about pitch? For small adjustments in pitch attitude, you get small changes in AOA and small changes in the airplanes flight path. For big changes in pitch, you get big changes in AOA, and you can stall an airplane, because you‘re making a big AOA change that might get you to stall AOA.

How about climb? Climb is a matter of power. A 172 doesn’t have a lot of power. If we pitch the nose up for a steep climb, the airspeed can, and will, decrease. It has to. The engine can’t make enough thrust to maintain airspeed in a steep climb.

Uh oh. Don’t we need enough airspeed to keep the wing flying at an AOA below the stall AOA?

Yeah. We do. That’s exactly what happened here. Steep climb reduces airspeed - as airspeed decreases, lift decreases.

Lift decreases, so, we have to increase AOA for more airspeed in order to stay in the air, right? Yeah, we do, but the wing will always stall at the same AOA. Once it stalls, we lose lift, and we increase drag, which slows our airspeed even more.

Recovering from a stall requires controlling the AOA. Lowering the nose to reduce AOA below the stall AOA. At 100 feet above the ground, there isn’t enough time at that lower AOA for the relatively weak engine to increase airspeed enough to get back the point where we can achieve level flight.

Continuing to pull the nose up (a visceral, amygdala reaction to impending crash) keeps the AOA above stall, high AOA, where there is not enough lift, and which keeps the drag high enough that airspeed won’t increase*.

Once that airplane got to an excessive nose up pitch, and airspeed was bleeding off (trading kinetic energy for potential energy, or airspeed for altitude ), they were doomed.

If, at 50 feet, the nose was lowered to a normal pitch, they might have maintained enough airspeed that they could fly in level flight without exceeding stall AOA.

But once they got slow, they couldn’t recover. The drag from the high AOA, caused by the deceleration from the high pitch, took away their airspeed, and when it stalled, there wasn’t enough room to recover.

* By the way, this is what Air France 447 did from 35,000 feet until impact. Nose up, full thrust, stay stalled. Even the powerful engines on that particular airliner couldn’t overcome the increased drag of a fully stalled wing.
When I was instructing, it made my whole day when I could sit down with a student and go through all this that Astro said and have the student understand what and why. If they understood, I knew they had been studying aviation and learning outside of our time together. The few students who really got it would solo and finish their private much faster than a student who expected you to pour everything into their head.

I would demonstrate the concept of increasingly turbulent air as you approached stall speed by taping a string, about the length of the wing chord, to the leading edge of the wing. The tail of the string would be at about the trailing edge of the flap. When flying with a low AOA the string will be straight and conform to the shape of the wing (laminar flow). As you approached stall AOA the string would start flopping around as the flow separated from the surface of the wing. During a stall the string would actually bunch up toward the middle part of the wing and just lay there mostly motionless. Visual demos are powerful. During the debrief, I would ask them to consider that just a bit frost, ice, or snow on the wing will disturb the laminar flow potentially causing loss of lift and a stall, so before you get in a hurry to take off with just a bit of frost, think about that string.

Last edited:
I’ve twice observed a student “panic “ at the controls.
I had a big strong guy freeze on the controls. It was his T-Tail Turbo Arrow and we were working on his instrument rating. Whenever I could, we would file and do a flight in IMC. We were flying from Chicago to Bloomington and were IMC most of the trip. We were en-route when I noticed a bit of ice on the OAT probe and told him to ask for lower. I knew there was a potential for ice and I knew we could go lower and it would melt off (this is a very important point and a good way to stay alive). He started a descent and at some point just lost his scan. The airplane was beginning an increasing left bank and the descent rate was increasing. I pointed to the AI and VSI and told him to correct. He didn't and it got worse quickly. I took the controls, or tried to, but he was frozen. I had to punch him in the arm and yell, "My airplane!". He did give me the controls and about that time the controller asked, "What is your heading". That's a polite way of telling you that they can see your screwing up and you'd best fix it quickly.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to reinforce what Wilson related.
It’s called a “grave yard spiral”.
The FAA had a required video for CFII’s when I was doing my training called “90seconds to live”. It demonstrated this exactly.
10yrs later, JFKjr flew his Saratoga into the Atlantic Ocean in a similar mishap. I’ve seen the radar tracking and ATC communication transcript. Descending, rapidly accelerating turn till lost from radar.
Underwater photo showed the Gleim Red cover of the Instrument Rating Written Test Prep book in a flight bag…
He had approximately 240hrs flight time.
I frequently fly a Turbo Saratoga that is 6 serial #’s lower than his was. Marvelous aircraft!

Astro, you need to write an aviation text book! That’s as good of an explanation of the aerodynamics of a stall as I’ve ever read…
Better than the text from one I know you’re familiar with:
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators….

Back