Flight attendants union asking for an end to lap infants

RE: The Boeing 737 MAX comment.

You can have all the regulations in the world but it won't matter if ( gov't ) oversight is insufficient.

Airlines ( and manufacturers ) have all sorts of regulations to abide by but when regulatory authorities do not do proper oversight, it won't prevent safety problems like with the max.

It's like those who say we need more laws. Problem is, existing laws are too often not enforced.

Boeings’s Max was “marred” by technical problems, a lack of transparency and other issues, according to the preliminary findings of a House investigation, released on Friday, into the beleaguered plane.

The report found that the Federal Aviation Administration’s review of the aircraft was “grossly insufficient” and that the agency “failed in its duty” to find safety problems."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm flying in May and June this year. The older I get, the more I dislike it. At least one flight will be in business class international. I'm popping Meclizine right before the flight.
I like the flying , hate the airport.

I've always though lap was a stupid rule - it puts infants at risk, and it provides monetary incentive for parents to put them at risk.

When my kids were under 2, we bought tickets for them, and put their car seat in the airplane. Car seats can only be in the window, by the way, in order to avoid impeding egress in an emergency.

So, yeah, I spent my own $$ to ensure the infant was safe - and I think it's time we level the playing field between caring parents, and cheap morons.
It is only dangerous if there is some sort of problem:oops:

I find it hard to believe the companies that insure the airlines allow passengers to unbuckle their seat belts in flight, period. This is ridiculous. Seat belts should be kept fastened from the time the plane is pushed away from the gate, until it shuts down at the gate upon arrival.

The only exception is to use the toilet.... Which should have a seat belt. That's it. The idea you have to wear a seat belt by law, traveling 30 MPH in a car, but not on an aircraft traveling 565 MPH is insane.

Just yesterday 50 people were injured on a flight to New Zealand when the aircraft slammed their heads into the ceiling. This has happened on all but countless flights. Flight attendants, no. They obviously can't do their jobs while strapped in.

It is only dangerous if there is some sort of problem:oops:
It’s more than that. Turbulence happens often, and there are many instances where it’s unexpected.

See Bill’s post above. Unrestrained people and objects can be a hazard to themselves and everyone around them if the airplane starts moving.

Unpredictable clear air turbulence is dramatically increasing.

"Over the past four decades clear-air turbulence has increased by up to 55 percent in various regions around the world. Models predict another 100 to 200 percent increase over the next 30 to 60 years. Each time the thumping arrives, it strikes with no warning."

We always bought seats for our children.

Having flown through severe turbulence a number of times it is simply unsafe to have them on a lap.

We didn't take our son on a plane until he was 5 years old. Traveling with a child younger than that is not much fun for the parents or the child. A 5-year-old can keep up, is less needy, and can easily be entertained. Our son was reading the barf bag instructions to us.

Last edited:
Back