Your Favorite Bacon

I saw a special on Hormel Black in the special stack packs once. With a sale price plus one of those coupons, it was about $3 for a 24 package. I got a bunch of them and froze most. It was really good and I believe available nationally. I don't think that was something that they would produce regionally (like dairy would be). I tried the versions smoked with pecan wood and with cherry wood. They made a big deal over those types of woods being used in meat smoking competitions.

I saw a special on Hormel Black in the special stack packs once. With a sale price plus one of those coupons, it was about $3 for a 24 package. I got a bunch of them and froze most. It was really good and I believe available nationally. I don't think that was something that they would produce regionally (like dairy would be). I tried the versions smoked with pecan wood and with cherry wood. They made a big deal over those types of woods being used in meat smoking competitions.

Hormel black label is my go-to. Redily available and very good.

Is there any place to get skin on bacon? I've seen skin on pork belly, which is commonly used in Asian-style cooking, including Chinese bacon and braised pork belly. I've seen pork belly at Costco which I suppose could be used for smoking bacon at home, but it had the skin removed.

Chinese-style bacon is apparently soaked in soy sauce, then hung to dry like prosciutto in thick strips. However, it's then cooked.

Untitled-design-38.png

My preference is thick cut out of the meat counter at our local Smith's (A Kroger brand). But I usually get the Kirkland thick cut bacon. It is also good.

I ordered smoked bacon once from Bentons in Madisonville, TN. It was good but man it was SMOKED. You’ve got to cook that stuff outside on the grill.

Thank you for this option, as I only eat bacon while on vacation. I get it fresh from the butchers counter at the Fresh Market, but it's been a while since I've had it, but I have no idea where they source it.

Oscar Meyer is my favorite, go to purchase. Recently though, I've found Harris Teeter Premium (store brand) to be pretty darn good. A little thinner than OM, but comparable in how cooks up and tastes.

My gut is never happy after pork bacon for some reason. Thankfully Aldi has this turkey bacon. To me it actually tastes better. Doesn't give stomach issues like real bacon does. Overall a healthier option. An as a bonus - it's usually half or third of the price of traditional pork bacon.

Screenshot_20220410-084658_(1).jpg

Hello All,

As of the last couple of years I've been purchasing Meyer Heritage Duroc bacon,or simple Truth ever so often. It has no nitrates, nitrates, or phosphates. Super nitrates and nitrites cause cancer. The Duroc pork flavor and meatiness (if that's a word), is amazing. What has everyone else been using? Any all-natural bacon is suggested.
Costco ready cook bacon.

My gut is never happy after pork bacon for some reason. Thankfully Aldi has this turkey bacon. To me it actually tastes better. Doesn't give stomach issues like real bacon does. Overall a healthier option. An as a bonus - it's usually half or third of the price of traditional pork bacon.

View attachment 95824
I have an aldi near me I'll give it a try.

My favorite bacon is the bacon my sister gives me from her pigs. We normally just buy whatever is on sale at the store if that’s not available typically Oscar Meyer or Hormel Black Label. I’m also a big fan of Wright bacon 🥓 too. Just hold the press I’m not too much a fan of rock hard crispy bacon. Some crisp is ok but not a lot.

My favorite bacon is the bacon my sister gives me from her pigs. We normally just buy whatever is on sale at the store if that’s not available typically Oscar Meyer or Hormel Black Label. I’m also a big fan of Wright bacon 🥓 too. Just hold the press I’m not too much a fan of rock hard crispy bacon. Some crisp is ok but not a lot.
If you don’t like cooked meat; something is seriously wrong with you. I won’t eat undercooked meat/bacon at all

If you don’t like cooked meat; something is seriously wrong with you. I won’t eat undercooked meat/bacon at all
I like it cooked just not crispy. Not limp but not crispy either. A nice in the middle cook is good for me. We always have to tell them at restaurants not crispy. I didn’t think non crispy bacon wasn’t fully cooked 😳.

Back