Young person needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 22 years old and have only owned cars with sealed wheel bearings. I was looking at my 04 Tacoma's service manual and it suggests to repack the wheel bearings at 30,000 miles. I have never repacked a wheel bearing and am not even sure if this truck has servicable wheel bearings (it's my 1st truck). Does this truck have wheel bearings that need to be repacked every 30,000 miles and if so how do I learn how to do this?

On a side note, why don't the make all wheel bearings sealed?

I too have an 04 Taco (4wd double cab). I cannot answer your question on wheel bearings. I had a 2002 prior to this and sold it with around 45k miles on it and never touched them with no problems. I tow a boat regularly during the summer, but very rarely have any of the truck in the water.

Many people, including myself, repack their front wheel bearings when a front brake job is done. I have waited until the second time I've replaced the front brake pads to do it and I've never had a problem. It is not a difficult job but it is very messy. I'm sure there are illustrated do-it-yourself instructions you can find on the internet.

If it's a 2wd they are probably sealed, 4wd? should be done with normal front hub service. Be sure to use the specified grease if it has auto lock hubs, this is the main reason for most failures.

if you have a grease gun you can get a little cone shaped device with a grease fitting that holds the bearing cage. you pump grease in and through the rollers. much easier (maybe quicker) than hand packing.

i have only seen the repack every 30,000 miles specified on a 4x4 vehicles.

Buy a service manual if you are going to work on your vehicle , If serious about repair work buy a Toyota factory manual . If not serious and will only be boing light work a Chilton or Haynes will do just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by oilguy3:
On a side note, why don't the make all wheel bearings sealed?

on another side note, why do some vehicles still come with drum brakes?
mad.gif
mad.gif

Ditto on getting a factory service manual, especially if you want to do a lot of maintenance correctly as opposed to having someone else do it who won't care as much. The $100 cost for the manual will pay for itself, and probably give you the best insight as to why you want to service this and that.

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
Ditto on getting a factory service manual, especially if you want to do a lot of maintenance correctly as opposed to having someone else do it who won't care as much. The $100 cost for the manual will pay for itself, and probably give you the best insight as to why you want to service this and that.

Yup! Get a service manual from a large library (county or university through loan). Most mechanic don't know a heck! They disconnect my ABS because they think my car don't have ABS.

Many vehicle specific forum have PDF service manual too!

Don't buy it! Get it for FREE!

I don't have any books on you truck but if it says to repack them at 30,000 then they must be not sealed and are serviceable.

The jobs is not hard but putting the proper load adjustment, or how tight to tighten the bearing is something that need some prior experience sometimes.

If someone could show you the proper way to tighten the bearings you could then feel comfortable doing it yourself. If you over or under tighten them you will have shorten bearing life.

As to why not have sealed bearings? If properly serviced the non sealed, serviceable ones may last considerable longer. You may catch a bearing going bad while serviceing it and avoid it going out somewhere inconvient. And the sealed ones are not really sealed compleatly. Severe service may allow water and dirt in. For instance hot bearings need to suck air(and whatever) in when they cool. Crossing a stream or backing a boat into a water launching ramp could suck water into the bearings.

I think it is kind of funny they say the bearing is sealed for the life, but don't say how long the life will be.

Most any library will have a book or two on basic auto repair, or you could search (with the help of the librarian if necessary) back issues of "Popular Mechanics", etc. Greasing a tapered roller bearing with ones two hands and a gob of grease was one of the first tasks/skills taught in auto shop back in the 60's and before. Do they even have auto shop in schools nowadays?

"The man who doesn't read has no advantage over the man who can't read"

I took auto mechanics in high school. I wanted to be a tech but my dad said dont do it for a living youll regret it. Took his advice I like to my own work to save money and for sense of accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back