You think you hate EVs now? Wait until you see what Toyota is working on.

Hopefully the writer (Andrew Hawkins) got duped by something that floated around the office on April 1 and it just finally made it to print. Good grief, that's terrible.
Actually check out a previous Jalopnik article. A guy converted his Ferrari 308 to an ev with a full manual transmission.
Ferrari 308 ev

I don't see Toyota's usual buyers wanting or needing this one bit. They sell, what, a million Camrys a year but how many of them are sticks? A half-dozen or so? They're probably all here on the forum.
In the USA? zero, afaik I bought the last year available, 2011. Wrecked it last year, otherwise would still have… wife did intentionally buy it as a stick, and was sad to give it up in her new Camry.

But definitely a low take “option“ on this model.

I don't get it. My friend's drop dead gorgeous BMW i8 plays fake engine sounds through the radio. She thinks it's stupid.
This is a huge turn off for me for a lot of new sportier cars. It's insulting IMO. Do the manufacturers really think I'm stupid enough to believe a turbo V6 sounds like a V8, or a turbo 4 sounds like an inline-six?

It sticks out to me like a cute girl with an insanely obnoxious laugh. :LOL:

I can see the electric harleys with 1000 watt speakers to reproduce the potato potato sound of a harley. Blipping their volume control at stoplights. Give them a fake shifter too. Maybe they can face the forward so people will hear them coming.

Rod
Will there be an oil tank that leaks a quart every 100 miles to get the full harly experience? And some sort of off balance paint shaker to vibrate the entire bike??

This is a huge turn off for me for a lot of new sportier cars. It's insulting IMO. Do the manufacturers really think I'm stupid enough to believe a turbo V6 sounds like a V8, or a turbo 4 sounds like an inline-six?
The sport mode on the Maverick Hybrid sounds like a Coyote V-8 going thru the gears. Sure sounds better than Atkission cycle 4-cylinder drone in the other modes.

Last edited:
But the sound of an electric motor is such a visceral thrill! Why would you want to change a thing???

Back