You could of had a V-8

My 1977 Oldsmobile, with a 350 cubic inch Olds V-8, Rochester Q-jet, single exhaust, was rated at 170HP. 275 ft lbs torque.

Yep. 170 HP in a two ton car.

Lots of things to like about the 70s, but engines were not one of them...
I owned a 1976 Olds 98. It had a 455 (AKA-boat anchor in 76) that couldn't fall out of a tree fast enough.

I love my old V8's.
My BIL has the Vette up in Gig Harbor, WA; it has the original L36 427/390.
Mark picked up a nasty 454 for it. The plan is to swap in the 454 while detailing the original engine.
He is becoming an expert in the early Rottenchester FI units.
Here's his '62 Fuelie he spent years rebuilding:

62 Fuelie Side.jpeg

Nice. I have the Ford/Borla catback on mine. It’s not very loud (don’t care for that) but it hits all the right notes.

It’s a great time to be a car enthusiast. I tell everyone to go buy a V8 now before they are gone. It won’t be long.
I originally put the Roush axle back mufflers on the Mustang and it sounded amazing but after awhile it got too loud during in town driving. The GT500 mufflers have the right amount of sound. I then found someone that was selling the over the axle pipes off of his 2013 GT500 that was totaled out from an engine fire. These OTA pipes from the factory do not have resonators and it made the GT500 mufflers sound even better. The GT500 mufflers I have are made by Ford Performance and actually have Ford part numbers on them.

I remember how slow the domestic V8's of the early to mid 70s were.
Wasn’t just the Americans. Mercedes had to derate their V8s for the US market too. Hence why gray market imports of the 500SEL/SL were popular before the EPA/customs closed a loophole. The 1980s US market 380SEL/SL only made 140hp. The later 420SEL was a modest improvement of 200hp.

Later on, Toyota’s first V8 to be sold in the US made 250hp out of 4L.

You mean Oldsmobile 307 or even a Chevrolet 305?
My first car was a 77 Buick with Chevy 305. Think it was 165 hp. Lots of hesitation. And a ton of vacuum hoses. I replaced the intake manifold and carburetor with aftermarket and that made it much more drivable. Still, the top end was only 100 mph.

My
Well, the ‘77 Olds was updated with a 1970 (last year of high compression) junkyard engine, that got new pistons (bores mic’d OK), valve job, and a Competition Cams 252 degree cam. Worked great with the 2.73 rear end and stock converter/stall speed.

Much quicker. Sounded great.

Still slow compared with current cars.
My first car was a ‘76 Monte Carlo, chevy 350 with 2 bbl carb. Off the line response was great, up to about 10 mph, but the engine was starving for flow, completely choked. Step by step opened the engine up. Step 1: headers and true dual exhaust (Results: better but not great); Step 2: Crane Econopower cam (high lift/short duration) (Results: now we’re seeing a nice change); Step 3: Rochester Q-Jet and Edelbrock performance intake (Results: This thing sings!). It really took all the parts working together to make the engine flow like a 350 should. Added a lot of cold air ducting under the hood to cool the carb and intake along with cranking the spark advance forward a lot to further add torque and horsepower. Raised a lot of eyebrows from the other hot rods and Buick GNs at the stop lights. Worked great with the stock Auto trans and 2.73 rear end. Will never forget the fun i had in that car.

I will only ever own at least one V8 powered car or truck for the rest of my life. My Roadmaster and F150 will outlast all of the disposable stuff they offer today. Electric anything can go pound sand.

I haven't owned a vehicle with a V8 since about 1975. But that's about to change. I just ordered a Jaguar F Type R with a supercharged 4 cam, 32 valve 5 liter V8 making 575 HP. Yeah baby.
I'm not getting any younger. Might as well have some fun.

I'm a V8 guy for sure. Very glad to see Ford put out the new 7.3 Godzilla from Ford. The Coyote is a world class engine FOR SURE, but also limited in displacement.

Back