You could of had a V-8

1983 Buick 5 Liter V8. 140 HP.

76 Plymouth Fury 318 150 raging HP.

Same with my early 80's caprice wagon-

It ground a lobe flat and I replaced it with an "RV cam" that really lit up the bottom end and midrange.

Last edited:
Just about any of those crappy 70-80's v8s could make an easy with a top end kit and 400 if you could spring fo a set of aluminum heads.

Heads intake Cam and Carb. Stock internals will be just fine.

A couple of kids with decent wrenching skills could do it in a full saturday.

We built hot versions of crappy cars for decades . Small block V8's are marvelous building blocks.

Cant do much anymore it seems.

Well, the ‘77 Olds was updated with a 1970 (last year of high compression) junkyard engine, that got new pistons (bores mic’d OK), valve job, and a Competition Cams 252 degree cam. Worked great with the 2.73 rear end and stock converter/stall speed.

Much quicker. Sounded great.

Still slow compared with current cars.

5CC7A22E-EB2F-4B02-B298-ADEB23E45627.jpeg

Nowadays I don’t consider V8 real anymore. The old days yes. You should hear the V8 in our 1994 van that thing is loud and it’s had dual exhaust run by the previous owner who my dad bought it from in 1998 the thing is loud as heck. You won’t find anything like that these days.
A Hellcat is pretty loud from the factory, straight pipe it and it legitimately sounds like Hell itself trying to escape the earth.

A Hellcat is pretty loud from the factory, straight pipe it and it legitimately sounds like Hell itself trying to escape the earth.
Agreed on that. Problem in my state is it wouldn’t pass inspection LOL. I’m too lazy to keep changing out components all the time to make it pass.

Any of them will sound great if you put a Borla on it.

My 6.2l Silverado...

I agree. I've had a Borla cat-back system on my 98 K1500 since about 1999 and it does sound good. Back then I don't think they had the different mufflers for different sounds. Just duel side exit or duel rear. Mine does have drone though and sometimes it can get a little annoying.

I love the sound of a V8 with a nice exhaust. I have single tip GT500 mufflers with a resonator delete on my 14 Mustang GT, the Borla system that I reference above on my 98 chevy K1500 and a Flowmaster catback on my 98 chevy K3500.

My 1977 Oldsmobile, with a 350 cubic inch Olds V-8, Rochester Q-jet, single exhaust, was rated at 170HP. 275 ft lbs torque.

Yep. 170 HP in a two ton car.

Lots of things to like about the 70s, but engines were not one of them...
1970 was good and the 71 Boss 351 Mustang was awesome!

My 1970 Nova SS had the 396/375HP with factory exhaust . It would rattle the windows of the nearby houses when I started it cold....hahaha.

You’re going to laugh, perhaps, but the V-8 in the Tundra sounds awesome when you floor it. It’s got a great mechanical growl and just the right exhaust note. It’s a truck engine, but it belongs in a muscle car.

They do sound nice. For a number of years my FIL had Tundras as company vehicles.

My 2019 Hemi Ram 1500 has a great sound too. Mine just has the stock single exhaust but it's got a great burble at idle and the roar when you get on it is sweet.

How come all the "exotic" V8s always sound so awful? They always sound like angry 4 bangers with fartcans.

You’re going to laugh, perhaps, but the V-8 in the Tundra sounds awesome when you floor it. It’s got a great mechanical growl and just the right exhaust note. It’s a truck engine, but it belongs in a muscle car.
Haven’t had the pleasure of driving one, but I’ve heard many people say the same thing.

I love the sound of a V8 with a nice exhaust. I have single tip GT500 mufflers with a resonator delete on my 14 Mustang GT, the Borla system that I reference above on my 98 chevy K1500 and a Flowmaster catback on my 98 chevy K3500.
Nice. I have the Ford/Borla catback on mine. It’s not very loud (don’t care for that) but it hits all the right notes.

It’s a great time to be a car enthusiast. I tell everyone to go buy a V8 now before they are gone. It won’t be long.

Reactions: wtd
455 wonderful HP in my 21' Camaro 2SS sounds just lovely out that quad NPP exhaust. It rumbles the house at idle when I start it up in the garage, it makes you smile with that deep subwoofer like frequency... Floor it on the street and it just sounds insane as it slams through gears and that exhaust sings... Then those oh so beautiful crackles and pops when you let off the throttle at about 3500-4000 RPM... So much fun...

Its really a special beast...

Back