You Can't Change Your Oil Too Much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Honda designed the motor this way....it is as much as you may not like it..."normal" for that engine.
The engine was not "designed this way". It resulted from the engine being fitted with low tension piston rings, in an effort to improve CAFE mileage numbers. The severe fuel dilution problem was an unplanned result..... Among other things.

The brainiacs here have identified the cause but can’t seem to identify any real effect outside of theoretical “you don’t want fuel in your oil do you”. Dilution is not even unique to Honda

Without asking dumb questions or making loaded statements or talking about your theories, show me one example of what diluted oil has actually done to engine internals that has everyone so hot and bothered.
Do you honestly think diluting lubricating oil with gasoline by as much as 20 percent is going to improve longevity? If your Honda was suffering from this problem, you would more than likely be screaming the loudest........ Not to mention changing your oil more often to offset the effects.

Considering that in most hydrocarbon burning engines of motorized vehicles the oil filter spends a great portion of its life with the bypass valve open, it is not likely that the above statement really makes that much of a difference.
How do you figure the filter's bypass valve is open most of it's life? Been watching Uncle Tony videos lately? 😄

Who cares what the dealer says or thinks? Do you honestly think a crankcase diluted with over a quart of gasoline, is helping the longevity of said engine? Or, that such a condition is "normal"?
If it was an issue there would be 3,000 OCI's by the manufacturer. I understand that most on here are smarter than the engineers who designed the motor and spec'ed the OCI.

BTW-

Last edited:
The engine was not "designed this way". It resulted from the engine being fitted with low tension piston rings, in an effort to improve CAFE mileage numbers. The severe fuel dilution problem was an unplanned result..... Among other things.
Fitting them with these rings = "designed".

If it was an issue there would be 3,000 OCI's by the manufacturer. I understand that most on here are smarter than the engineers who designed the motor and spec'ed the OCI.

BTW-

The problem seems to be most prevalent in northernly locations with cold temperatures. Engineers, working on a budget, and within a time constraint, may not have adequately factored cold temperature operation into their design and testing. That's where the whole issue with China arose from, and then, not surprisingly, a class action lawsuit in Canada.

Mistakes happen. Toyota's sludger engines were designed by Engineers, do we get to just hand wave that away? Same with the Saturn 1.9L. Two engines, from different manufactures, both managed to be designed with inadequate piston oil return holes.

Rod bearing failure on numerous BMW high performance engines.

Subaru head gaskets.

Ford launching spark plugs in the 2V engines

If we are going to compile a list on how times engineering gets screwed up, we are going to be here a while.

The deference to "bruh, you don't know more than the engineers" intentionally not just sidesteps, but Mary friggin' Poppins magic Umbrella's you over the myriad engineering FUBAR's that have happened as a result of penny pinching and time constraint that then have to be dealt with after the beta testing on the public brings it to light.

The problem seems to be most prevalent in northernly locations with cold temperatures. Engineers, working on a budget, and within a time constraint, may not have adequately factored cold temperature operation into their design and testing. That's where the whole issue with China arose from, and then, not surprisingly, a class action lawsuit in Canada.

Mistakes happen. Toyota's sludger engines were designed by Engineers, do we get to just hand wave that away? Same with the Saturn 1.9L. Two engines, from different manufactures, both managed to be designed with inadequate piston oil return holes.

Rod bearing failure on numerous BMW high performance engines.

Subaru head gaskets.

Ford launching spark plugs in the 2V engines

If we are going to compile a list on how times engineering gets screwed up, we are going to be here a while.

The deference to "bruh, you don't know more than the engineers" intentionally not just sidesteps, but Mary friggin' Poppins magic Umbrella's you over the myriad engineering FUBAR's that have happened as a result of penny pinching and time constraint that then have to be dealt with after the beta testing on the public brings it to light.

The issue being as well...we don't even know if 5% is 5%. According to previous posts on the subject.

Here is what Castrol has to say on the subject of fuel dilution on engine oil. I can only imagine it's as bad or worse with gasoline.

"A long-term condition of fuel dilution can lead to premature failure of the engine bearings, as well as aggressive wear of high-pressure points such as the valve train and piston rings / cylinder walls. Although a main concern involves long-term damage, if the fuel dilution is severe enough, catastrophic failure can occur over a short period of time."

Here is what Castrol has to say on the subject of fuel dilution on engine oil. I can only imagine it's as bad or worse with gasoline.

"A long-term condition of fuel dilution can lead to premature failure of the engine bearings, as well as aggressive wear of high-pressure points such as the valve train and piston rings / cylinder walls. Although a main concern involves long-term damage, if the fuel dilution is severe enough, catastrophic failure can occur over a short period of time."
Makes sense to me.
I'm not talking of my engine blowing up.

However, I don't want to start putting a quart in every 500kms.
I want my crummy theta2 to last.

Or at least this was the conventional wisdom when I was a kid back in the 70s. I have followed this for all of my adult life and I can say that it has always worked for me.

If a vehicle's recommended OCI was 4k miles, i would almost always change it before 3k. If oil was on sale and I was doing one vehicle, I would sometimes change multiple vehicles just to take advantage of the sale.

These days it's not unusual to see recommended OCIs of 8k or 10k miles... I have a hard time believing that oil and engines have improved that much.

Apparently there's an idea floating around out there now that frequent OCIs can contribute to engine wear due to the additive package not being allowed to dissolve or break down sufficiently.

With racing machines, it's fairly common to change the oil after every race. However racing vehicles aren't intended for longevity, the goal is speed.

So is it still true? Is it possible to change your oil too often? Or is this marketing malarkey from engine manufacturers?

Or both?!
I would argue that the engine is perhaps at its driest, meaning void of the most amount of oil at the time of oil change. Even if you can fill the filter with oil, it is not fully soaked and any valve holding back upstream oil would be drained and full of air. The time for the engine to begin full lubrication would be at its longest.

So, I would disgree with
as is the consensus that most engine wear happens at cold start. I am not so sure about this, as I have thought that perhaps it is the combo between the lack of oil and the intial force it takes to get things moving from a dead stop, if more than what is needed to keep it moving. Who knows, I am sure that some super scientist on here will tell you the real deal.

To your second part of the statement as to where you speak of oil not being "used sufficiently, I do notice that my engine in my work truck seems to quiet a bit after the oil change. The exhaust note seems a bit smoother. I have no cats and a straight muffler so I can really hear what comes out the end. This is a personal note and nothing really to back it up.

This may or may not have an application to this conversation, but I sharpen my kitchen knives and all knives really with a "traditional' japanese method. Without getting too much into detail, the method requires use of water and a soft stone, and finer stones as you progress. The slurry created by the stone and knife friction is what really does most of the cutting. There is a certain "smoothness" to the sound once you have set the edge of the blade in reference to the stone. When the edge you set is true, the knife will slide much easier and sound different than when you start. Kind of hard to explain, hope you get the point.

Great post. Thanks

back in the 80's into the 90's my father changed the oil in his ford ranger every 2k miles. like clockwork. he always used pennzoil. it had 222k miles on it when he sold it. it never burned a drop of oil. ive grown up to believe that frequent changes are a good thing and i currently change oil & filters in my vehicles every 6 months regardless of miles driven. sometimes its as few as 1800 miles and sometimes its 3k+ but rarely higher. i get its overkill but it gives me peace of mind. i do 90% or more of stop & go city driving, short trips. i only use full synthetic brands mobil1, quaker state, or castrol edge oils. depends on price at the time. i got some castrol edge GB for my next change. i always use top tier/name brand 89 or higher octane gas.
using old pennzoil paraffin wax in liquid form, I would have changed the oil every 2k too. Probably used no oil becasue of the sludge left by the Pennz

Of all the overachieving oil swappers here I never heard of any of them saying they check their tire pressure every 3000 miles or their coolant, wiper fluid, trans fluid and so on... Yes you will now no doubt.
I am big on all the other stuff like brake and PS fluid aswell, so yes you guessed it..............I am not overachiever though like most on here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back