Uncle Tony on oil filters.

The filter bypass valve needs to be set for the worse case applicable engine application conditions (highest pump flow and viscosity, and expected debris loading factors, all causing dP), along with the filter media design (media type and total media area, also causing dP). The latter part is why filters from 10 diffefent brands can have different bypass valve settings for the same engine application.

LoL, the guy thinks the coil spring that keep the guts tight is the "bypass" valve spring. And he says filters have two bypass valves, what? Zero oil filter knowlege, and no credibility. This is why misinformation spreads like wild fire.

Bet he's never seen an oil filter dP vs flow curve. And engine oil pressure has no real correlation with dP across the filter or the bypass setting, it's a function of flow, oil viscosity and filter flow resistance.

LoL, the guy thinks the coil spring that keep the guts tight is the "bypass" valve spring. And he says filters have two bypass valves, what? Zero oil filter knowlege, and no credibility. This is why misinformation spreads like wild fire.
He seems to think that the ADBV in all filters behaves like a combo valve or like the nitrile bypass they use in aerospace filters.

Just think how many YouTube watchers will think he's some oil filter "expert", and believe all the misinformation and parrot it elsewhere. :rolleyes: Reminds me of a flat earther describing the technical aspects on why he thinks the earth is flat, lol.

Last edited:
I like utg and his channel but we cant all be right all the time so i give him some slack. Yes its wrong but maybe he will make a follow up video.

The guy usually knows what he is talking about.
Do you guys have any proof, that he is totally wrong?
And I mean really proof - not just saying so.
What do you mean "proof" he completely incorrectly described how oil filter bypass valves work, like if he would've simply googled "how does an oil filter bypass work," he would find out that his logic is completely wrong..

Do you guys have any proof, that he is totally wrong?
And I mean really proof - like in: a see through oil filter with a pressure gauge - not just saying so.
Yes, read Zee's explanation below. I tapped out of the video at about 2 minutes, because Tony's understanding of how oil filters work is completely flawed. Tony does not understand differential pressure.

Bet he's never seen an oil filter dP vs flow curve. And engine oil pressure has no real correlation with dP across the filter or the bypass setting, it's a function of flow, oil viscosity and filter flow resistance.

But his logic is completely unsound since the bypass valve operates on differential pressure, not the absolute pressure of the system, your oil filter is not going to bypass every time the system oil pressure is above the valve rating, and I've never seen any manufacturer explain that the spring that holds the media cartridge against the tapping plate is intended to be a bypass, I don't see where there would be differential pressure to push the media cartridge down and two I don't think any manufacturer would want the media cartridge to do that because it could let the ADBV loose.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 041031.jpg
Well I just did - and it's pretty much exactly what he was saying.

This video completely lost credibility when this popped up at 1:40

Screenshot 2023-04-22 041031.jpg

UTG .... the kinder, funnier version of PF videos. Entertaining, but not educational.

And just about as lost when it comes to lubes and filters and how to properly test them. UTG clearly has no idea how a filter really works, doesn't understand dP, and is just guessing as to how the BP relates to the overall function of the pump and system pressures.

He should be considered PF-Lite.

Last edited:
This is the same fellow who claims the hemi doesn't sufficiently oil the lifters, and he "proved" that by pouring oil over a lifter in his hand and noting that the oil dripped off before it reached the roller bearings. I kid you not.

Pressurized oil? What's that?

His credibility is one notch above Scotty Kilmer's.

Back