Consequences of a filter with a lower bypass psi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: 04SE
I asked the same question and was told it was nothing to worry about?

5.3 L83 oil filter discussion

The GM statement was perfectly clear. They moved the oil sender from before filter to after filter.

The oil pressure sensor was always located after the oil filter ... they just moved the sensor much deeper down into the engine's oil gallery after the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The GM statement was perfectly clear. They moved the oil sender from before filter to after filter.

The oil pressure sensor was always located after the oil filter ... they just moved the sensor much deeper down into the engine's oil gallery after the oil filter.

GM said:

"Beginning in 2012, the oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump out pressure."

"Any aftermarket filter must also have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the ACDelco PF64/PF63E filters."

Can't be clearer. The main gallery is where the oil goes after the filter.
They don't say "should have" they say "must have" a 22 bypass and all the other specs. of the PF64.

My manual states PF63E … just ordered a couple but must have 8 XG10575’s in stock …

GM said:

"Beginning in 2012, the oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump out pressure."

"Any aftermarket filter must also have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the ACDelco PF64/PF63E filters."

Can't be clearer. The main gallery is where the oil goes after the filter.
They don't say "should have" they say "must have" a 22 bypass and all the other specs. of the PF64.

Talking about two different oil pressure 'sensors' here. One is the oil pressure you see on a dash oil pressure gage of the car, or what runs the dummy oil pressure light, and the other 'sensor' is one that controls the oil pump's pressure regulator valve. I was talking about the former.

'Smart oil pumps' (like now used on these engines) are something relatively new, and the old design PD oil pumps never had any kind of 'oil pressure sensor' to control their output pressure, because the pressure relief valve was built into the pump and was simply controlled by a spring.

Do they also say what the flow vs delta-p curve is of that PE64 filter? Could be it's pretty restrictive to flow which could be part of the reason why the bypass valve is set to 22 PSI. They don't even say what the efficiency spec or holding capacity is of the PF64, so how is someone supposed to choose a filter that matches all of its specs?

Do they also say what the flow vs delta-p curve is of that PE64 filter? Could be it's pretty restrictive to flow which could be part of the reason why the bypass valve is set to 22 PSI. They don't even say what the efficiency spec or holding capacity is of the PF64, so how is someone supposed to choose a filter that matches all of its specs?

If I start using the AC Delco it should do what the OLM takes me to which is about 7k. They put a small steel sump on the aluminum pan where both the drain plug and filter are behind the belly shield (easy to get to) … maybe the free oil change stuff brought some dealer feedback and some common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back