Yet Another Oil Filter Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always I am amazed at the difference in surface area and canister volume despite being the "same filter".

The most interesting thing shown in this '5 filter dissection comparo' is that in this application, Wix/(NG) also uses a dome end bypass as opposed to it's traditional thread end bypass. This is similar to the FL820S Wix application 51372. However in the latter application, Wix apparently tried a silicone combo valve design ( as shown in this MC filter comparison) and then rather quickly abandoned it in favor of separate dome end as shown in this comparo.

Also notice that while the FL820S fits this application, it apparently has a higher bypass setting (~20+psi) than the spec'd Wix 57899 which is ~16psi. Don't know if that makes a difference but apparently Wix thinks it does as they have two different applications for the FL820S and the Mopar application shown.

I'd have no issue using either the Wix or the Mopar here. Might use the MC too but as the bypass setting is different, I'd favor the Wix and Mopar. Not much on his conclusion that Wix is best because of more and bigger center tube holes, especially when the Mopar is made to Chrysler spec.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The most interesting thing shown in this '5 filter dissection comparo' is that in this application, Wix/(NG) also uses a dome end bypass as opposed to it's traditional thread end bypass[...]I'd have no issue using either the Wix or the Mopar here[...]

Hi, sayjac!...I've seen that, on occasion with Wix. The NG Platinum's AFAIK are all dome end bypass which I find a little strange unless they are trying to maximize element length inside the canister.
I think the Mopar and Motorcraft are pretty similar--i.e. Purolator built to whatever flow/efficiency specs, and using thread end bypass valves.
I am currently using the Mopar MO-090 (with QS green bottle 10W-40) on our Jeep.

Hey river_rat, appropriate that you should chime in and comment here. As I was making my previous reply, I was thinking that calling this dissection comparo a filter study really does a disservice to your filter testing/examination, which truly is a 'filter study'.

As for Wix, yeah the new Platinum uses dome end. And based on some recent post's here, it appears that they are using dome end more often otherwise. Some of the new Honda/Infiniti applications are also using dome end. Not a big deal either way for me, just interesting that more Wix dome end are showing up.

And I figure the Motorcraft and Mopar would be fairly similar too, just noticed the FL820S seems to have a higher bypass setting than the Mopar.

Saw your new toy on the mech. board, enjoy.

Thanks, sayjac. We are loving the Wrangler. Sold the '69 VW Camper/Bus to buy it.

Depending on application...that is mounting direction...I tend to prefer the thread-end bypass if the dome of the filter is down where particles might collect near the valve and get flushed back through the engine until they can get stuck into the pleats or whatever. My truck mounts thread-end up, so I always look for thread-end bypass if I can find it. Just me.

The Jeep's mounts sideways so I don't think there is any difference in distance between any possible particles settling out into the canister and the valve. Once any debris sticks into the media, I don't think much "washes" out because of the oil flow through the media even when the bypass opens. With me, it's all about the filter mounting orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back