Ye Olde Timey AutoRX Thread (Yes, yet another)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so here I am, brand new to this forum with my first post, but I've been reading from BITOG for some time now.

I own two vehicles:
2003 Corolla with 170,000 mi
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 with 230,000 mi

Both have had a strict diet of M1 in various flavors / viscosity for at least 2-3 years.

I read all of the crazy testimonials on ARX and was skeptical at first, but seeing all of its accolade on BITOG, I was sold. I bought $100+ worth of the stuff.

Well, anyway, I started using ARX in the transmission on the Toyota and have been very pleased after 500 mi. That transmission is so much happier, and I had been draining the pan every spring, so I would consider it well maintained. I put some in the XJ's whiny power steering system this morning, without anything meaningful to report yet.

... Then I ran into the dreaded thread.
Insults flew, fists were raised.

...so. I bought some Penzoil dino, plain old yellow 10w30, greatly anticipating running ARX in the oil sump of my Jeep, but now I'm rather nervous. I've heard widely varying opinions on whether the stuff is effective, but should I fear any catastrophic/irreparable damage running this stuff in my engine? That XJ is my baby and I'd be very sad if something happened to it, considering all of the time I've spent under it.

Frank and all ARX advocates, FWIW I am neutral, opting to give you the benefit of the doubt until I observe reason to do otherwise. With all due respect (sincerely) I am not looking for Frank's opinion as I know he's somewhat biased on the matter.

Just so you know I'm not a fanboy/kool-aid drinker/automaton for ARX, I have also used MMO with realistically decent results. For example, it quieted the valves on my noisy 4.0. I am not, however, using it at this time, eliminating any extraneous variables.

So, has anyone had any horror stories? What about my intended use(s)? Any thoughts?

In before someone says to use Kreen
wink.gif

Kidding aside, the best way to find if something works for you is to try it out. You're like me, after digesting all the information found spread about this forum, I decided to give it a go. Nothing to lose really. I'm running some Auto-Rx myself and need a thousand more miles and then I'm going into the rinse phase. I'll start a thread when I'm done. Maybe.

Let me answer your questions with a rhetorical question: What are you expecting Pennzoil mineral oil & ARX to accomplish that the past 3 years of synthetic oil have not?

I'm guessing that even with 230k on the clock, if you have indeed run M1 for that time, you don't need ARX. I doubt you'll find the type of deposit ARX is targeted to clean. That being said, there are much worse things you could dump in your sump, so have at it.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Let me answer your questions with a rhetorical question: What are you expecting Pennzoil mineral oil & ARX to accomplish that the past 3 years of synthetic oil have not?

+1

Quote:
Nothing to lose really.

Well, I guess that's the essence of my question! Do you think I have anything to lose? Is there much of a chance at all of anything going wrong?

Quote:
What are you expecting Pennzoil mineral oil & ARX to accomplish that the past 3 years of synthetic oil have not?

I guess I should clarify: The only reason I was planning on going back to the Pennzoil mineral oil is that the folks at ARX (by my observation) discourage the use of M1 with their product.

Now, three years of synthetic? I'm inclined to stick with M1 after this experiment. To further clarify, these vehicles were run on whatever was on sale until three years ago when I learned (from reading here) that sticking with a consistent chemistry is the best way to go. I figured I couldn't go wrong with M1 and that it's cheap insurance.

To answer your question directly, I suspect that, with this kind of mileage (especially on my Jeep), I've got to have some kind of sludge in there. I'd really like that infamous rear main seal leak to go away (though I'm not holding my breath). Lastly, I've heard rumors that synthetic on high mileage might cause loss of compression and that ARX may help. This might be utter hogwash, but I figure a good, thorough cleaning couldn't hurt. I know the 4.0 is lacking youthful vigor and of course there could be multiple contributing factors.

I fully admit that I know enough to be dangerous, but that I have a lot to learn here.

Do you figure I can do any harm by using ARX? That's my real question.

Quote:
You already bought it! Just as well try it out! Let us know how it works out for ya!

lol.gif

Well at least you're confident. I guess I don't have much to fear by the sound of it. If the Corolla transmission is any indication, I may well be pleasantly surprised.

I almost wish I hadn't run across the
06.gif
insult-fest
07.gif
thread, and then there wouldn't be such a dark shadow cast on it all.

Quote:
I'm guessing that even with 230k on the clock, if you have indeed run M1 for that time, you don't need ARX.

Well, not the whole time, but three years of it has to count for something, I'd think?

Quote:
That being said, there are much worse things you could dump in your sump, so have at it.

Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Keep up your normal maintenance routine and go in peace.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I couldn't believe the volume of replies I got back in one evening!

I guess leaving the bottles of pricey additive on my garage shelf is always an option.
frown.gif
That wasn't what I was hoping to hear, but it's the kind of honest answer I was looking for.

You seem to have a good maintenance plan going with a quality oil and apparently its working fine for your engines, if the engines run well and are relativity clean why mess with a good thing?
I would sell the ARX to someone who really wants it.

49.gif

The AutoRX will not hurt your engine. It's sunk cost so I'd go ahead and use it as planned.

You already apparently are having a good result from the stuff in your Corolla's transmission, that's good news.

Your Jeep sounds like it has a rear main seal leak - improving such things is one of AutoRX's claims, may as well see it through.

If you have the equipment and are willing to experiment you could also perform a before & after compression test. There have been several posted over the years showing significant improvements with AutoRX, another test would be useful info if you're so inclined.

jeff

Give it a shot. You already have it, so might as well get some use out of it.

My own ARX experiences have been quite positive, FWIW...

Quote:
Well, I guess that's the essence of my question! Do you think I have anything to lose? Is there much of a chance at all of anything going wrong?

No the stuff probably wont hurt anything but you used MMO already and it got the lifter noise away so it did some cleaning.
I guess my whole point is that with older high mileage engines you really want to keep oil additives down to a minimum.
I haven't seen heard about sludge issues or even many problems with these 4.0 engines.

I see someone mentioned a possible rear seal leak, i don't see anything posted about that. I would not attempt to fix a seal with 238K on it with some genie in a bottle, you just may turn a weeping seal into a full blown leak.

Originally Posted By: DrivewayMechanic

Both have had a strict diet of M1 in various flavors / viscosity for at least 2-3 years.

Mobil 1 has been shown to do some cleaning, I would probably just stick with Mobil 1

Quote:

I read all of the crazy testimonials on ARX and was skeptical at first, but seeing all of its accolade on BITOG, I was sold.

That may have been true a couple of years ago, but now many members have moved on to different oil additives that are cheaper than auto-rx and they seem to do a better job in cleaning up an engine.

Quote:
... Then I ran into the dreaded thread.
Insults flew, fists were raised.

There are many more threads like the DREADED THREAD that you posted a link too.

Quote:
I have also used MMO with realistically decent results. For example, it quieted the valves on my noisy 4.0. I am not, however, using it at this time, eliminating any extraneous variables.

If you have gotten decent results with MMO then I do not see the need for auto-rx. Since you have auto-rx you can either try it in your engine or maybe sell it.

Keep us posted on your results.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever heard of anyone's engine being harmed by auto rx. I used it myself in a heavily sludged 93 Chevy pickup with 170k on it last year. It did do some cleaning, but unfortunately I don't really drive the truck enough to let it work like it should. (took me all summer to put about 3500 miles on the truck) In the end the sludge under the valve covers was reduced and what remained was softer and has since continued to be cleaned by regular oil changes. Although I did not do before and after compression tests, I suspect the compression has improved, it always had a rough idle, and it smoothed out alot during the clean cycle and after the rinse cycle.
If you have the product already, why not give it a try and post your results? Although some people do not like it due to a cost vs results aspect, it is still regarded by most as a very safe product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back