Have you tried friction modifiers in your engine oil?

Is chlorine good or bad?
should be bad:
Chlorine in motor oil can cause corrosive wear to a vehicle's engine and possible subsequent engine failure. Chlorine is extremely reactive, making it corrosive to engine metals and interactive with many motor oil components

I am not recommending some of them. HSS stiction is well known so should be good.
1699216778662.jpeg

Yes , liqui molly mos2 the last oil comma 5w30 a5/b5 was soo transparent that I cannot reading the marks on the dipstick. So, liqui molly mos2 is totally black, I was hoping reading easily the marks :)
And amsoil Pi for gasoline engines, I ‘m satisfied.

Back in 2010 in the truckstops, there was a product that was suppose to work as a friction modifier....it was about 50 bucks a gallon,,me and a buddy split a gallon and used in our delivery vans,,,,dont waste your money.................we are easy prey for gimmicks..lol

But wouldn't you want to get it out of the crankcase now?

And how do you know which one of the additives is chlorinated? Perhaps it's both?
I just changed oil after the test.
I am not sure which one has chlorine. I have another test kit (got 2 just in case), I can test the HSS later, but given their reputation among truckers I would say no way its the hss stuff. The other snake oil is the suspect number 1. I particularly asked them about chlorine and they refused to say "no it does not have it".

Hey,
I am looking at a couple friction modifiers to use in my Honda K27Z7 (CRv 2014). Currently it get ~32mpg in highway which is better than the factory spec (on a 100mi loop).
I found this specs for a company named Vanderbilt Chemicals:
Not sure where this product can be found?
(Not a dealer of any company or so, if your opinion is all additives are snake oil please keep it to yourself)
No I find synthetics and modern oils to be more than sufficient.

As far as LiquiMoly MoS2, I was a user awhile back and had issues I did not even know at the time I had. I guess my equipment at work was my "Canary in a cave", for possibly saving my engines at home that were all getting LM MoS2. Additives beware I guess. This is a copy I posted before from my interaction with an industrial oil R&D chemist from Summit Industrial Oils (Kluber company).

I used to use LM MoS2 in my car/snowblowers/lawnmover at half doses and I used it at work at LM recommend dose in our CAT pumps that run our humidification system. One pump is run at 1725 rpm and another is on an A/C motor drive for variable rpm as that feeds multi room small sprayers. The latter was the problem pump as it had some low rpm and I wanted the moly to aid in wear at those lower rpm levels it would hit. I used LM moly in both pumps. The moly only helped a little bit in the "sometimes" low rpm pump.

I use Summit Industrial Oils in Texas (Kluber company) for our group 5 oil in our rotary screw air compressor oil and in our CAT pumps. With Summit, you have 100% access to anyone in their company. I have talked couple times to the president. For my wear issue, I was pushed right to their lead R&D chemist. I told him what oil I was using at the time and that I use LM moly at the correct recommend value per oil oz amount used. First thing out of his mouth was " I bet you are having seal leaks" I said how did you know that, thinking it was the oil he was talking about. He said it's not the oil, it is the class of moly you are using, it is horribly hard on seals. Once a year I would have to put in a new main seal. I even went as far as to get another top named seal thinking CAT's seals were cheap. Still the same leak on both pumps TWICE. I excepted this as a CAT issue and not what I was putting in my oil.

I dumped my LM oil that day and put in new oil and 1 week later I received their recommended oil for my issue and in the last 5 years I have not had a single seal leak. I went from 300 hr dumps and seal leaks to 500hr dump times with zero oil leaks. Needless to say I won't put additives in my oil anymore other then AT-205 re-seal at half the recommended every 2 years.

Not saying not to use LM moly, (I use it at work for sliding oil additive on a paper drill slider Gibbs) just stating my issue with LM moly and an R&D industrial oil chemist's opinion. 5 years later he suggestion was right in my case.

I have never heard/read about MoS2 causing leaks in gas vehicle engines.

Here is the next snake oil to try

it has no chlorine so no immediate harm. It has the following substances at 10-20%

antimony dialkyldithiocarbamate
molybdenum dialkyldithiophosphate (MoDDP) , the molybdenum analogue of ZDDP

the first one seemingly is used in Schaeffer #132 Moly E.P. Oil Treatment as well:

Last edited:
Remember 20 years ago or so all the TV ads for "Slick 50" additive! Snake oil. I think the company got sued out of existence. Didn't Jiffy Lube offer it (as an upsale) for awhile? 😆😆

Back