Yamada water pumps

Good evening ladies and gentlemen . It is finally fixed. My engine is purring like it was when it was brand new. Love it 😍 I took my 2015 Pilot to the dealership Wednesday they had to order parts and I had them change the water pump and pulleys. I had them check the serpentine pulleys as well as these were not changed originally. Yes I only have 50,000 miles on my Pilot but it was at the dreaded 7 year deadline. The warble noise is pretty much gone with the OEM parts. Interesting the serpentine belt being a bando belt was not riding perfectly on the pulleys, there was actually a small
difference on one side of the pulley. I saw it myself, so I had them change that belt and pulley.
I have to say I know there is discrepancies with dealerships but , mine seems to do very well when I ask for this one specific mechanic/tech. Thanks to all of you gentlemen for your expertise time and patience in giving me the advice.

Now since I have the pulsation with my brakes my next decision is Akebono brakes and rotors or Dynamic Friction brakes and rotors.I currently have 3 month old Wagener pads and Akebono rotors but I did not do a great job of embedding the pads into the rotors.
it is a long story..
The Pilot is a heavy SUV and needs fantastic brakes and rotors. I am researching this.
Interesting- had similair experience with bando serp belt. Growling noise until engine warmed up. Sprayed belt with water and noise went away. Replaced with Honda OE belt. Quiet.
Regarding that warbling noise that is now gone. Since everything was repalced- how do you know it was the Asin WP that was responsible? Could it have been the bando belt all along?

Interesting- had similair experience with bando serp belt. Growling noise until engine warmed up. Sprayed belt with water and noise went away. Replaced with Honda OE belt. Quiet.
Regarding that warbling noise that is now gone. Since everything was repalced- how do you know it was the Asin WP that was responsible? Could it have been the bando belt all along?
Hi Wilbur. I had that growling noise a few times also! I was not sure what it was.
I know it was the pump because I did not have the noise before the pump. The Aisin was installed and the noise started. I had another mechanic look at it and he changed the belts and pulleys to another brand, Gates USA ugh! but not the water pump. I quickly got those Gates parts out of my car! So I am thinking by process of elimination and by the good expert gentlemen on this forum it had to be that. This was also described by other folks on other forums. This time the water pump, belt and all the pulleys tensioner etc were all replaced with Honda parts. done!
Also the warble noise is 95% gone. So there is still this rhythmic type of noise, but NOT as loud!!! I just think is part of this SUV/Pilot. As I mentioned before my mechanic had me listen to a 2012 Pilot with only 10,000 miles on it and an Odyssey with 200,000 miles on it and they still had the same low rhythmic noise. I really wish I knew where it was coming from. But I have to satisfy myself and know it is just part of this cars engine. I am grateful that I spent the money to get OEM parts now with winter just around the corner I feel better about driving my car and can sleep better at night. I have learned a big lesson...when it comes to anything big,engine things etc...just go to the dealership and get OEM parts. At least there is a warranty for 1 year or 12,000 miles. My mechanic does not give a warranty for his work only what comes with the parts.

I am bumping this thread because I am now experiencing the AISIN timing belt kit making the warble noise. I have about 25,000 miles on the kit and it’s getting pretty loud now. If I would have know this was going to be an issue I would have gone with OE parts 😡

I am bumping this thread because I am now experiencing the AISIN timing belt kit making the warble noise. I have about 25,000 miles on the kit and it’s getting pretty loud now. If I would have know this was going to be an issue I would have gone with OE parts 😡
Had an Aisin hydraulic tensioner fail recently after a similar amount of time. It jumped several teeth, luckily the engine lived.

• Wow
Reactions: rcs
Not bashing but just venting that everyone in here was recommending the AISIN kit and it was just a better deal then piece by piece from Honda. Lesson learned. I’m sure some time this summer I’ll buy a Honda water pump, timing belt, and tensioner.

Not bashing but just venting that everyone in here was recommending the AISIN kit and it was just a better deal then piece by piece from Honda. Lesson learned. I’m sure some time this summer I’ll buy a Honda water pump, timing belt, and tensioner.
Dan,...I feel your pain. But if misery loves company,...I had my whole timing belt with all the parts done 2 times! Once with the Aisin kit by a local garage,..it just did not seem to run smoothly, and that water pump noise forget about it! I did not feel comfortable with the way my engine ran. I am the original author of this thread. That is why I said no more,...and went to the dealership and had them redo the whole job. Never again, I will always get genuine Honda parts. Lots of folks say it is okay and they do well with it,...I guess it is just the luck of the draw. I could never stand the noise of the water pump and not knowing if one of the other components was going to break.
Also, I had originally purchased new rotors and brakes from Rock Auto. I returned them. After the fiasco with the timing belt kit,..I just had the dealership do the rotors and pads etc, obviously with OEM parts. I had Wagner pads on there and those clips with the pads kept coming loose,...I could not stand the noise of that either. The OEM just fit better in my opinion.
I am not a mechanic, but like everyone else need a working vehicle for work. Best of luck. Better to get it changed out now rather than wait for it to brake some component of your engine.

Reminds me of what @Trav and others were saying in the aftermarket related threads, that the aftermarket is selling junk lately. The quality is really bad. I've gotten lucky with some things such as non-counterfeit NGK spark plugs or brake rotors from Bosch. You know.. I wonder if half this stuff that's bad isn't counterfeit, there's a thought! Either way I agree, get a discount from a Honda dealer selling genuine parts and when's the last time those were bad?

There were some aftermarket parts I tried to use when working on the Project Civic but those parts went bad and had to re-do the job. It actually cost more to do the job twice than to pay the extra $$ for the Honda part. On a lot of parts like the EGR, VTEC spool valve, etc, I just said skip it and bought the Honda part. This is not a commercial for Honda just an update on how bad the aftermarket is really getting lately..

Reactions: rcs
Dan,...I feel your pain. But if misery loves company,...I had my whole timing belt with all the parts done 2 times! Once with the Aisin kit by a local garage,..it just did not seem to run smoothly, and that water pump noise forget about it! I did not feel comfortable with the way my engine ran. I am the original author of this thread. That is why I said no more,...and went to the dealership and had them redo the whole job. Never again, I will always get genuine Honda parts. Lots of folks say it is okay and they do well with it,...I guess it is just the luck of the draw. I could never stand the noise of the water pump and not knowing if one of the other components was going to break.
Also, I had originally purchased new rotors and brakes from Rock Auto. I returned them. After the fiasco with the timing belt kit,..I just had the dealership do the rotors and pads etc, obviously with OEM parts. I had Wagner pads on there and those clips with the pads kept coming loose,...I could not stand the noise of that either. The OEM just fit better in my opinion.
I am not a mechanic, but like everyone else need a working vehicle for work. Best of luck. Better to get it changed out now rather than wait for it to brake some component of your engine.
How's it all working for you now? I know you'd tell us if it wasn't.. just wanted to ask..

What brakes did you return to rock auto? Curious on brand

How's it all working for you now? I know you'd tell us if it wasn't.. just wanted to ask..
Sorry researcher that I missed your question! It has the warble noise, even after all OEM from the dealership. It only happens when the engine is warmed up. It drives me crazy. I am going to ask them about this since the job and parts are under warranty.

Sorry researcher that I missed your question! It has the warble noise, even after all OEM from the dealership. It only happens when the engine is warmed up. It drives me crazy. I am going to ask them about this since the job and parts are under warranty.
hey no problem.. I did catch your post on the timing belt thread. I don't know your engine well enough, but the big question is, if nothing is BEHIND the belt tensioner then the pulley on the tensioner could be transmitting the warble of its pulley against the area beneath it.. just basic acoustics, an echo coming from the tensioner pulley.

Now let's say it's the tensioner pulley wobbling from side to side, things have wider spaces when cold, heat it up, things expand, it goes quiet. Best thing to do, remove the drivebelt, put a mechanics stethoscope on that area, spin the tensioner pulley by hand (when cold of course) and listen.. engine not running.. Then you've found the problem if you hear it. I know simple, right?

I would not replace the parts again for the timing belt.. Playing the odds it's impossible that 3 times the job has been done and the SAME noise continues, it's obviously something else causing it.. Bad tensioner makes sense, I've had them go bad on me before and they can make a chirp or warble noise.

hey no problem.. I did catch your post on the timing belt thread. I don't know your engine well enough, but the big question is, if nothing is BEHIND the belt tensioner then the pulley on the tensioner could be transmitting the warble of its pulley against the area beneath it.. just basic acoustics, an echo coming from the tensioner pulley.

Now let's say it's the tensioner pulley wobbling from side to side, things have wider spaces when cold, heat it up, things expand, it goes quiet. Best thing to do, remove the drivebelt, put a mechanics stethoscope on that area, spin the tensioner pulley by hand (when cold of course) and listen.. engine not running.. Then you've found the problem if you hear it. I know simple, right?

I would not replace the parts again for the timing belt.. Playing the odds it's impossible that 3 times the job has been done and the SAME noise continues, it's obviously something else causing it.. Bad tensioner makes sense, I've had them go bad on me before and they can make a chirp or warble noise.
Hi researcher. So the noise only appears after the engine is warmed up, not on initial start up. Also it really needs to be warmed up not just a short drive. I would have to have the mechanic perform the technique you described, being a women I do not do any mechanic work on my car. ( know you did not know that though...no worries). I am going to try and contact Honda directly and see if their techs have any insight on this issue, especially since so many people have it.

Hi researcher. So the noise only appears after the engine is warmed up, not on initial start up. Also it really needs to be warmed up not just a short drive. I would have to have the mechanic perform the technique you described, being a women I do not do any mechanic work on my car. ( know you did not know that though...no worries). I am going to try and contact Honda directly and see if their techs have any insight on this issue, especially since so many people have it.
either way (hot or cold) and others (based on your other post) have isolated it to be the belt tensioner area, then maybe the Honda techs at the dealer have seen it before. But no problem if you don't do the work yourself, at least you have the knowledge/ideas needed to understand the issue. It's all good.

And yes at this point there is no reason to try and do the timing belt job again.. If I was to bet I'd say that the tensioner is going bad. If it is that.. Now that someone pinpointed the area, shouldn't be that difficult to find what is making that noise

Last edited:
either way (hot or cold) and others (based on your other post) have isolated it to be the belt tensioner area, then maybe the Honda techs at the dealer have seen it before. But no problem if you don't do the work yourself, at least you have the knowledge/ideas needed to understand the issue. It's all good.

And yes at this point there is no reason to try and do the timing belt job again.. If I was to bet I'd say that the tensioner is going bad. If it is that.. Now that someone pinpointed the area, shouldn't be that difficult to find what is making that noise
Knowledge is power. Thanks for the insight and your time. So you think it could be the tensioner even though it was just replaced in October? Yes Honda could have gotten a bad batch. But it is crazy that this occurs in other Honda vehicles also like Acura’s all across the country😳

Knowledge is power. Thanks for the insight and your time. So you think it could be the tensioner even though it was just replaced in October? Yes Honda could have gotten a bad batch. But it is crazy that this occurs in other Honda vehicles also like Acura’s all across the country😳
no wait.. I thought you had the timing belt tensioner replaced when you had the timing belt job done.. I'm talking the drivebelt (drives things like the alternator..back in the day they called it a fan belt) tensioner. That's what the picture looks like in your other post (the one you got from the other forum). And you're welcome for the info.. ya even if someone doesn't do the work it pays to be informed..

and I was thinking that if it does turn out to be the drivebelt tensioner, there could be a bad batch from the factory. I know with my Scion (toyota) they had a bad design batch of water pumps that Toyota re-designed so a drivebelt tensioner could be the same thing.. ya and I bet that those other Honda vehicles use the same exact engine.. hope I'm making sense.

no wait.. I thought you had the timing belt tensioner replaced when you had the timing belt job done.. I'm talking the drivebelt (drives things like the alternator..back in the day they called it a fan belt) tensioner. That's what the picture looks like in your other post (the one you got from the other forum). And you're welcome for the info.. ya even if someone doesn't do the work it pays to be informed..

and I was thinking that if it does turn out to be the drivebelt tensioner, there could be a bad batch from the factory. I know with my Scion (toyota) they had a bad design batch of water pumps that Toyota re-designed so a drivebelt tensioner could be the same thing.. ya and I bet that those other Honda vehicles use the same exact engine.. hope I'm making sense.
Oh yes you make sense...but when I had this done at the dealership, I had him replace every, nut, bolt pulley, tensioner and belt this time the whole thing. Yes it could be a bad batch. I will take it to him and let him know to listen again with his stethoscope. We were more focused on the whine of the power steer pump the last time I was there. I need to get it replaced, bu the reservoir is on back order.
Thanks again for your time and help.

Back