X5 35d and Pentosin Hig Performance II 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new guy here. We just purchased a 2015 BMW x5 35d. BMW gives free oil changes every 10k miles and they use the Castrol Professional OE 5w-30 (a LL04 oil). I'm of the old school that puts more stock in heavier oils and since the diesel is tougher on oil, add to that the turbo being also tougher on oil, I feel the need for a heavier weight oil. Gas mileage takes a backseat to a healthy engine.
Since its under warranty, and I dont feel confident using a 5w-30 every 10k, I plan to change the oil every 5k miles using BMW's castrol Pro OE and let BMW do it at their 10k intervals.
My question is, after the warranty expires, would the Pentosin HP II 5w-40 be a good oil to use every 10k miles? I searched the forums but did not find any oil analysis tests using such an oil with the 35d. I feel the heavier oil will provide better protection than the Castrol OE. Am I wrong to assume this?

By the way, I chose Pentosin since its a LL04 oil which heavier

Any LL04 will work fine. That's the whole purpose behind these OEM certs. I never opted for the Pentosin myself.

Something to keep in mind with euro oils. 30w's are generally on the heavier side and 40w's are generally on the lighter side.

Diesels don't run anywhere as hot as gas engines and they shed heat quickly.

What kind of mpg are you getting? I'm curious because the mileage rating on the 14-15 models is up 5mpg relative to my year of X5 35d (mine is 18/26, now it's 23/31). I actually get about 20-22 mpg in moderate city/suburban type driving, depending on the season.

Charlie

My wife drives the car. She averages about 31. It gets about 36 on long highway trips. It varies a little depending on the fuel used hough. Most fuel brands seem roughly the same, but BP has so far been the worst.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
What kind of mpg are you getting? I'm curious because the mileage rating on the 14-15 models is up 5mpg relative to my year of X5 35d (mine is 18/26, now it's 23/31). I actually get about 20-22 mpg in moderate city/suburban type driving, depending on the season.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: M3m3x5
My wife drives the car. She averages about 31. It gets about 36 on long highway trips. It varies a little depending on the fuel used hough. Most fuel brands seem roughly the same, but BP has so far been the worst.

Charlie

8 speed AT and [censored] really save on fuel. We early adopters had a 6 speed AT and no [censored].

What oil do you use in your diesel?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Any LL04 will work fine. That's the whole purpose behind these OEM certs. I never opted for the Pentosin myself.

Something to keep in mind with euro oils. 30w's are generally on the heavier side and 40w's are generally on the lighter side.

What oil do you use in your diesel?

I used dealer Castrol for the most part. M1 ESP 5w30 twice. I sold the car a few weeks ago.

8 speed AT and [censored] really save on fuel. We early adopters had a 6 speed AT and no [censored].

The 8 spd probably accounts for 1 mpg
I think they drastically advanced the timing, giving much less soot, better economy, much fewer DPF burnouts. And somewhat more urea usage. I'm looking into aftermarket tuning.

Charlie

The 8 spd probably accounts for 1 mpg
I think they drastically advanced the timing, giving much less soot, better economy, much fewer DPF burnouts. And somewhat more urea usage. I'm looking into aftermarket tuning.

Charlie

Actually automatic SS and the 8 speed account for a lot. I compared an E90 335i with an F30 335i. Both have the same engine (N55) and the figures were 19/28 for e90 and 23/32 for F30. Imagine what it can do for the new X5. Also the N57 diesel is down a little on power compared to your M57.

Last edited:
Hello all, new guy here. We just purchased a 2015 BMW x5 35d. BMW gives free oil changes every 10k miles and they use the Castrol Professional OE 5w-30 (a LL04 oil). I'm of the old school that puts more stock in heavier oils and since the diesel is tougher on oil, add to that the turbo being also tougher on oil, I feel the need for a heavier weight oil. Gas mileage takes a backseat to a healthy engine.

Not sure I agree with the statement its harder on oil: most of the time my 335d is pulling 1600-1900 RPM
smile.gif

I have no problem with the stability of a high quality 5/30. I can see if you were concerned about sheer and you went with a 40w to start in hopes it stays within 30w by the end of say 10K. If you go that way any LL04 should be fine of course, JMHO.

The OE Castrol is OK, not my favorite but it works. I have only one UOA of it so far. I will be running Pennzoil euro 5/30 LL04 for the next few oil changes. BMWoA is switching to Shell products next year IIRC as their marketing arrangement with Castrol is done so this should be the oil for our D's though I bet dealers will have a stock of Castrol for some time.

- b

The problem with the LL04 oils is not related to viscosity and/or shearing.
They start with very low TBNs (6.0 to 6.3)
and it tends to disappear long before the 10K mi OCI. IMHO that is due to heavy EGR with resultant dosing of the oil with combustion acids (nitric/nitrous I would guess). Perhaps not coincidentally Fe and Al levels are pretty high in the oil. My metal levels have decreased since changing to an ACEA E6 oil, Delvac 1 LE 5W30, which has a significantly higher TBN (10.0).

Charlie

Thanks for clarifying for me Charlie. Do you have a UoA trending posted? I searched the forum for some keys but found nothing. Your EGR is different then the 3 series (unrelated to OCI, but perhaps carbon build up issues we seem to have).

My only UoA of factory Castrol came back with TBN 1.8 after 11.5K. Not a trend but my only OC so far
smile.gif
My Second one is coming up soon and I will be moving to the Pennzoil LL04 and I was looking to do it at 10K initially and check TBN on that. No VoA's that I can find for it as its not widely used here but I did see one UoA for it with a good TBN number after 10K.

- b

Did you post your UOA from the Castrol? Id love to see it. I just changed the oil in our X5d using the dealer supplied Castrol but didn't send out for a UOA since the sample is probably loaded with metal from breaking in . Since its under warranty, I'll keep with dealer supplied materials. I changed it at 5k miles figuring the dealer will change it at 10k miles, the car will get a 5k mile oil change until the free maintenance expires. I have a preference for a 5w40 weight oil and ill get to one when the warranty expires.

Originally Posted By: bvl
Thanks for clarifying for me Charlie. Do you have a UoA trending posted? I searched the forum for some keys but found nothing. Your EGR is different then the 3 series (unrelated to OCI, but perhaps carbon build up issues we seem to have).

My only UoA of factory Castrol came back with TBN 1.8 after 11.5K. Not a trend but my only OC so far
smile.gif
My Second one is coming up soon and I will be moving to the Pennzoil LL04 and I was looking to do it at 10K initially and check TBN on that. No VoA's that I can find for it as its not widely used here but I did see one UoA for it with a good TBN number after 10K.

- b

My UOA is in the diesel forum. Search for 335d or just me.
smile.gif

Given all the open SOPUS jugs at Walmart I have wondered if i used a 5w30 ultra container that I filled with m1 0w40 if the dealer would even notice. My other ride is a 370z I want to run m1 in though the ultra has done fine. The ll04 products are all single quart around here so hit harder to do. The m57 is 11-13k on the factory OCI. Did they lower it on the N57?

- b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back