wrong visc in 2002 passat turbo 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
the lube techs put in PP 5-30 instead of a syn 5-40 ...my sis owns it and for some reason she changed her oil this week which is a rare occurence, i can see crud under oil cap at 85k... VIP also used a oil system cleaner for xtra 8$ whatever that is...i think for 66$ they should at least put in right grade...any thoughts on running 5-30 and on oil system cleaner wuld be appreciated...VIP says they always use this on passats

It's probably OK, especially for a NH winter.

But I probably wouldn't let those same clowns do future oil changes.

Better than 5w-40 for winter.

BlackstoneLabsOilReport10-8-08.png

Why do VWs have such specific oil requiremnts?

If 5w40 was requested, take the vehicle back raise [censored].

I'm not a fan of the 5 min flushes. I assume this is what they used. Many times they are something similar to kerosene.

As for the 5w30, it may be too thin for the 1.8. I would get the right stuff put in. Especially if that is what was requested.

thanks for responses...if i tell my sister she can go 10k then she will go 20k so i will tell her 5k oci...her husband is a true legend, he is lucky if he changes oil on his cars at 25k and is known not to add but his vehicles go 300,000 miles before they start dying...i am sure he wont change his routine anytime soon

Originally Posted By: maximus
Why do VWs have such specific oil requiremnts

There's a turbo, plus the test sequences assume an all-out Autobahn run at 130mph for hours. In the USA, we don't heat the oil quite as much, so 5w-30 work fine. 5w-30 can be half at thick as 5w-40 in extreme cold.

Edge_7500mi_uoa.jpg

my sis just asked for synthetic oil assuming they would know right grade...they probably didnt even look for proper visc

I do know that in our computer system at Valvoline 5w-30 is considered acceptable in VW's in addition to 5W-40, so long as the 5w-30 also meets VW 502.00 which some do, it's possible that they in fact did put in proper oil per their system and used 5w-30 since 40 wasn't requested.

EDIT: I was gonna check the product data sheet for PP to see if the 5w-30 met the 502.00 spec but it says it is currently unavailable due to maintenance.

Last edited:
it should be spec'd at 5w30 actually. i just finished putting on a head gasket on a 2000 passat 1.8t tonight and the cap says 5w30.

Originally Posted By: nfs480
EDIT: I was gonna check the product data sheet for PP to see if the 5w-30 met the 502.00 spec but it says it is currently unavailable due to maintenance.

I'm betting PP Euro has 502.00, but the normal PP does not.

Originally Posted By: chet2
thanks for responses...if i tell my sister she can go 10k then she will go 20k so i will tell her 5k oci...her husband is a true legend, he is lucky if he changes oil on his cars at 25k and is known not to add but his vehicles go 300,000 miles before they start dying...i am sure he wont change his routine anytime soon

I'd like to know what he's doing that we're not. Is that 25k using Dino? Or Amsoil SSO?

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: nfs480

I'm betting PP Euro has 502.00, but the normal PP does not.

How much different is the PPeuro compared to the us pp? And I'm sure car will be fine. if they used a heartland oil system cleaner I would stick with a 5k oci. That stuff is strong used it in my moms civic cleaned it up good.

SynPower 5w-30 does not meet VW 502, it's too thin. The lists that include it are wrong, and should refer to the 12cSt Euro blend,not the 10cSt USA 5w-30...although it would work in many instances.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
SynPower 5w-30 does not meet VW 502, it's too thin. The lists that include it are wrong, and should refer to the 12cSt Euro blend,not the 10cSt USA 5w-30...although it would work in many instances.

Like a New Hampshire winter.
smile.gif

A truly paranoid person (I'd be somewhat paranoid if I was forced to use a quickie lube joint) could simply drain the oil and refill with a jug of Rotella 5W-40 from Walmart @ $19.50. No need to drop the filter unless inspection shows that it wasn't even changed.
smile.gif

sangy my BIL buys cheapest oil he can find on his 25k plus OCIs, and usually autozone when he adds...many times i have checked dipstick and found no oil haha...he never changed tranny fluid either or much of anything else in 300,000 miles...my mom lives with them in a house they bought this year so i can add oil for him at least every w/e when i visit and i changed filter twice on his oil burning camry this year...the car is dying now but he got 300k out of this and 300k out of a subaru on zero maint routine, he should be in car abuser Hall of Fame on first ballot

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Like a New Hampshire winter.
smile.gif

How much do you think ambient temp is going to alter normal oil temp if the thing is driven long enough? It's got a 4 quart sump, a turbo, and (probably) a oil coolant heat exchanger. It will be at what most would consider normal operating temps in about 2/3 the time that a non-exchanged engine with a normal size sump (4-6 quarts) will.

I can't see a NuWingland Wintah having much impact there unless this thing sees shorter trip use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back