Ford 460 Oil info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood, but the OP's is 20 years older and made during "looser" assembly regimen. xW-30 for modern builds is great. The old 1970's stuff still running is getting long in the tooth. xW-40 won't hurt a thing and may help it along
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Understood, but the OP's is 20 years older and made during "looser" assembly regimen. xW-30 for modern builds is great. The old 1970's stuff still running is getting long in the tooth. xW-40 won't hurt a thing and may help it along
smile.gif

I'd never question your knowledge, Broc!
smile.gif

And to be honest, I have considered running 15W40 in mine. Especially Phillips 66 Guardol ECT 15W40, which has really impressed me thus far in my Detroit Series 60.

I have 2 trucks with Ford 460 engines. The one that I put the most miles is a 1984 block in a F-350. The engine runs great on full-synth 10w-30. Keep in mind that the Truck has a C6 and cruises at ~2800-3200rpm for hours on end. I have no issues with start up chatter, and I have no issues with oil consumption.

The other 460 is a 1992 engine but I don't put enough miles on that to notice how it acts to different oils.

Originally Posted By: Dak27
I have a 460 in my '97 F-250HD 4X4. My owners manual calls for 5W30 or 10W30. I've been using Mobil HM 5W30 for the last couple of years, and seems to do a good job. I don't put a lot of miles on the truck per year, I go 2 years per oil change.

A 97 460 is a different animal compared to a 76 460, one is carbed, with a flat tappet camshaft, the other fuel injected with a roller camshaft, a 97 would be perfectly happy on just about any decent 5W-30 or 10W-30, a 76 will need some Zddp and a little more viscosity to help with the fuel dilution.

I had to use a U-Haul with a Ford 460. The air cleaner had 15w40 SF/CD in huge letters to let you know what oil to use. However, I don't know if that is optimal for a Ford 460, or if it is because U-Haul would prefer to have as few part numbers as possible.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yup, Doug Hillary has posted equally favourably about numerous HDEO's, particularly Delvac 1 5w-40
thumbsup2.gif

And when's the last time I haven't run an HDEO?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yup, Doug Hillary has posted equally favourably about numerous HDEO's, particularly Delvac 1 5w-40
thumbsup2.gif

And when's the last time I haven't run an HDEO?

True enough, LOL!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back