1987 ford 460 motorhome, which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 1979 460 I've use 10w30 pcmo and 15w40 hdeo with no perceivable difference in operation.

I'd add 10w30 hdeo as a solid option for that engine.

Now that I think about it, the current fill might be 5qts supertech 10w40 HM and one quart castol synblend 20w50. But it has mostly just sat since I bought the expedition.

I should sell it ....
But I wont ...

Many U-haul trucks had Ford 460 engines and U-haul would call for 15w40 oil. I don't know if it was because the Ford 460 needed or benefited from 15w40 or because they could use that oil in both gasoline and diesel engines.

Valvoline makes a Maxlife 15w40 oil, that would make sense to use in your RV since you say it has some leaks.

Originally Posted By: digler
Hi all, new here, just picked up a motorhome with a 1987 carbureted ford 460 in it with 45,500 miles on it and I'm getting ready to do my first oil change. All the parts stores here tell me 5w-30 or 10w-30 is recommended, but being this is an older motor that I'm sure has had some severe duty on it such as towing and going over passes, would it be better for it to run a 40 or 50w oil in it? The motor runs fine and idles good, it doesn't seem to smoke at all but it does have some seeping in the usual places. I've read some posts in ford truck enthusiasts of guys using diesel motor oil in there older 460's, what do you think?carbureted

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Delvac 1 5w-40 would be a good choice or another HDEO in the same grade.

Funny you said that, I was thinking Rotella T6 all the way.

Mobil 1 15w50?? it's a thin 50 weight that has always shown great UOA's and is avaliable throughout the US , it probably has way better cold start properties than 15w40 Dino HDEOs and has a pretty good add pack for what you're going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back