1987 ford 460 motorhome, which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think an oil that has a HTHS of 3.5 or higher is what the 460 needs. This oil will work just fine:

2wrm9w3.jpg

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Lol, I skipped right over that typo.
Like those FB posts that are upside down inside out and backwards.
Only 5% of people can read this.

Well of course, 95% of the world population do not speak English.

Where is the nice French Canadian accent for the corect oil choice - I miss that guy
laugh.gif

Theoretically XW20 should be sufficient, but there are too many unknown variables including fuel dilution to risk it.
Therefore the recommendation, if that is what you want call my post, is not absurd.

No harm will come to your engine from XW40, but it is likely thicker than necessary. (Yeah, so what?)

This leaves XW30 right down the middle, but not just any Xw30, it should have a HTHS of 3.5 or higher.
But what if fuel dilutes the XW30 as it might the XW20?

Thicker than necessary should be thick as necessary, to cover all the unknowns and "what ifs?".

Edit; Like da fifdeen turdee I tout you were gunna say?

Last edited:
Quote:

Theoretically XW20 should be sufficient,

Theoretically, there is no difference in "theoretically" and "in reality"; In reality, there is.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Where is the nice French Canadian accent for the corect oil choice - I miss that guy
laugh.gif

He'd recommend Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, which would be a perfectly acceptable choice for this application, although probably not the most cost effective high HTHS alternative in the States.

Wow, we've got some recommendations on this thread that are all over the place.
Hey OP, have you considered looking at what your operator's manual recommends? And before you say it didn't come with one, perhaps you should consider buying one.

JimPghPA said:
He IS going to start it in the winter (although not often, even once is enough to consider a 5W or a 0W oil), and forget about any 10W or 15W oils.

Seriously, 10w as well as 15w are fine for Winter use. Don't believe that [censored] about that are too thick to pump. They pour fine. I pumped many gallons of 15w40 out of a drum outside and dumped in a engine in 0 degree weather. It's fine.

Also, oil thickens in a diesel engine with all the soot and contaminants, where in a gas engine it's not as bad. Every change oil in a neglected diesel it comes out like tar. 15w40 was the first diesel oil that was multigrade for mixed fleets. Before that all diesel oils were single mono grade.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
15w-40. put it in, then dont look back

I agree. We have a 1989 429. 10W-30 may be OEM spec. The Delo 400 is SL and SM spec so it is good for older gas engines.

I don't think the oil recommendations were all over the map.
SAE XW20 was thrown out, 0W40 and XW50 never mentioned, 10w40 HM mineral is a marketing gimmick, which left XW30 HTHS>3.5 and XW40s in the race.
PCMO 10w40 mineral has a reputation of shearing out of grade, which left synthetic 10w40 or 5w40, and 15w40 CJ-4.

My father had a 1987 Ford van with a 460 V8 and 4:10 Dana 60 rearend that he used to tow his 33 foot 11,000 pound travel trailer. He managed to put 212,000 miles on that van before trading it in and many of the miles were towing that camper. The 460 in his van used about 2 quarts of whatever 10w30 he fed it every 3,000 miles for the first 15,000 miles before switching to 15w40 diesel oil of whatever was on sale and the vans oil consumption went down to a half a quart every 3,000 miles and that's all he used in it until he sold it.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Wow, we've got some recommendations on this thread that are all over the place.

That's probably because so many options will work just fine. There isn't a really rigorous specification called for. Just about any lube with an HTHS of 3 or higher and a semi-modern additive package will be sufficient.

Kinda late to the party Garak. I couldn't help notice the weather radar map over the Queen City today.
Did lightening knock out the public Wi-Fi?

5w20 in a Ford 385 series engine? no no no no no , the engine is also carbed and in a Motorhome, being carbed it's always gonna have fuel dilution as a problem, that will thin out the oil even more, it's also in a motorhome where i'd assume the engine has to work harder to pull all that weight and airflow is poor so it must get pretty hot.
i'd use any HDEO 10w30, 5w40 or 15w40 depending on the ambiant temperatures with an apporpriate amount of zddp since the 460 never got a roller cam AFAIK, older engines don't tend to be as picky on what oil they have to use but i would not go below a 30 grade unless it was in freezing temperatues

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah let's put some 40w70 in it

That retort has just as much legitimacy as your first recommendation; stick to padding your post count somewhere else, because you have no business in this thread.

And apparently you don't either, because you haven't made a single recommendation. All you've done is come into this thread and try to judge people.

Ramblejam is a troll. Don't engage.

I had to unhide to see the troll post that was made by Ramblejam.

If you didn't make the post about some absurdly thick oil, no doubt I would have anyway.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Chevron 20W-50

I was waiting for 20w50 to show up. The oil that so many old engines made it to the million mile mark on, now that is considered a grease instead of a oil. Wouldn't hurt a thing in that engine. It was even popular when that engine was.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Maxlife 10w-40

Yeah, that's what I'm inclined to recommend as well. Probably 10W-30 Maxlife blend will work too - also 15W-40 and even good old 20W-50. Driving a big motorhome down the highway is more stressful than people think - you're pushing a lot of air and the resistance is constant - couple that with a 90F summer day, heat off the asphalt and lubrication and cooling systems can be taxed. Better to err on the thick side IMO. I would not recommend any 20 even though something like M1 might survive. Unless that 87 motor has been rebuilt with new seals, a thin full synthetic will leak. Maybe you could get away with M1 15W-50 if you felt a full synthetic was necessary for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back