Ford 460 Oil info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
15W-40 HDEO such as Shell Rotella would be perfect.

And going overkill on oil changes is dumb, it doesn't do any good for your wallet, or your engine either
Did you know wear progressively goes down as the oil ages and gets a few hundred or thousand miles on it? oil filters also filtrate better after a few hundred miles than when they're new.

Change the oil every 4-5000 miles and / or 12-18 months.

Originally Posted By: wewsnu
Thanks for all the replies so far! Good info! My only concern about using a diesel oil would be all the cleaning agents I think they have in them. I wasn't worried too much about the flat tappet cam, I have plenty of zinc and molly containing break-in lubes I could add if needed. You guys don't have concerns about some debris being broken loose and carried off from a seal or anywhere resulting in a blocked oil passage or a leak? I do know Rotella has some 5W-40 I think I've seen at Rural King. I have some 15W-40 I run in my sports bike but it's super thick, I'd be terrified to run it in a car really!

No. If you are concerned, run a short interval first, then cut open the filter. That'll tell you how much stuff is in there that may want to come out, or at least give you a rough ideal.

Run a good filter, like the FRAM Ultra.

Also, a diesel-rated lube will not need ANY additives, so refrain from dosing it. They have more than enough AW additives for that engine, MORE than enough.

Yeah, back in '76 you could buy 20w40 all day. Even in the early '80s the nearby K-mart K-Care garage had 20w40 (Pennzoil I believe) in the bulk tanks. I wish it was more available. Nowadays, all I see is marine oil in that weight.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Even then, that camshaft is a smogger broomstick, its ZDDP requirements won't be anything a modern PCMO couldn't handle easily. It's also well broken-in. But an HDEO for more additives and bit more viscosity reserve due to fuel dilution and blow by is, IMHO, the best choice here.

Yes, what was the joke, 460 cid but 160 HP or something like that?
wink.gif

I'd go with an HDEO in 10w-30 or 15w-40 as well. Plenty of other more expensive options would work, but would be, well, expensive.

I would not even put Diesel oil in a car in the 70's and I had a 429 Interceptor!

NO 15w40 CJ! WRONG APPLPICATION! WRONg Dispersant package! Way too high HTHS. Get it through your head - WRONG WRONG WRONG!

No need for "extra" ZDP, Its a very mild cam, low velocity and its already worn in!

Nice modern 10w40 will do fine. Mobil Clean or Quakerstate.

Thank you each and everyone for the replies! I'm thoroughly enjoying and learning a lot reading the variety of replies and majority consensuses. For those that questioned my changing of oil too often, it's just something I do with carb'd vehicles. My carb'd cars and carb'd drag bike have a noticeable fuel smell in the oil after a few months. Since this tells me there's fuel in the oil, it worries me so I change it. I do filters twice a year, not every oil change, but roughly every other. I generally save the best of the worst used and put it in my lawn tractor or son's minibike or push mower if it's not too gassy after sitting overnight in the pan. Anyone else re-use "old" oil? What are some other applications for drained oil you guys use?

Thank you again!

Chain lube for saws in cold weather.

If you oil is getting gassy smelling, you either have a LOT of cam (w/ overlap), or you have a carb issue ... If the carbs are in good shape and the tune is good, there should be very little getting past the rings ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
A nice 10w40. Mobil Clean or Quackerstate - Not Diesel. wrong package
What is wrong with a HDEO oil?

I would not even put Diesel oil in a car in the 70's and I had a 429 Interceptor!

NO 15w40 CJ! WRONG APPLPICATION! WRONg Dispersant package! Way too high HTHS. Get it through your head - WRONG WRONG WRONG!

It's not about zinc, really, as you mention. But, a CJ-4 15w-40 or 10w-30 is not out of line with OEM recommendations, particularly a modern 10w-30 HDEO. A 10w-40 HTHS is okay, as is a 20w-40 (according to OEM recommendations), but a 15w-40 isn't? The 10w-40 will have minimum HTHS of 3.5, and the 20w-40 and 15w-40 will be at a minimum of 3.7.

I'm not saying your suggestion won't work just as well, but any HDEO is significantly better than what was originally available.

HDEO like it's been stated. I use Rotella 15W-40 in all my old carbureted Ford engines, it's the one they've been most "happy" with and don't drink it so fast. Regular PCMO is like Koolaid and goes bye bye quick, but the HDEO hardly burns a drop. I think the newest 460 was specced for 10W-40 or 10W-30 if I remember correctly. The flat tappet cam design will appreciate a HDEO, as well.

Thanks guys!! Great reading here. I'm looking for HDEO's online now. A google search revealed this old graphic from our site that didn't come up with a search here on BITOG but did on google. It shows various details of many recommended oils here. Does this change anything or would any solid HDEO still be great?

Not a 460, but I run Castrol HM 10W-40 in my 98 chevy 454. It was a little slow to start this winter but otherwise it seems to work good.

" I would not even put Diesel oil in a car in the 70's and I had a 429 Interceptor!

No need for "extra" ZDP, Its a very mild cam, low velocity and its already worn in!"

Way too many of us with success to continue that myth....
Only newest diesel oils have a single rating, and there are not that many of those. Any diesel oil from the 70's on up was dual rated for spark engines. Wrong dispersant package? Bovine scat.

Ford 460 in an RV here...
15w40,an FL1A and drive 5k.
Repeat.

Last edited:

NO 15w40 CJ! WRONG APPLPICATION! WRONG Dispersant package! Way too high HTHS. Get it through your head - WRONG WRONG WRONG!

No need for "extra" ZDP, Its a very mild cam, low velocity and its already worn in!

You had maybe one big'ish engine ...

Some of us have been around fleet operations with mixed gas and diesel fleets, and seen the sum total of a few million miles on engines that have been run hard and put away wet ... HDEO worked well every time. Not one gasser lost to oil issues ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

NO 15w40 CJ! WRONG APPLPICATION! WRONG Dispersant package! Way too high HTHS. Get it through your head - WRONG WRONG WRONG!

You had maybe one big'ish engine ...

Some of us have been around fleet operations with mixed gas and diesel fleets, and seen the sum total of a few million miles on engines that have been run hard and put away wet ... HDEO worked well every time. Not one gasser lost to oil issues ...

Yup, Doug Hillary has posted equally favourably about numerous HDEO's, particularly Delvac 1 5w-40
thumbsup2.gif

I have a 460 in my '97 F-250HD 4X4. My owners manual calls for 5W30 or 10W30. I've been using Mobil HM 5W30 for the last couple of years, and seems to do a good job. I don't put a lot of miles on the truck per year, I go 2 years per oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back