Wrong of me to boycott places that didn’t hire me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, it's your money, spend it where you want. I've had questionable experiences in the old days with companies here-but if they had a decent price and were convenient, I would spend money with them. Fortunately most of them were (& are) greedy operations...

Just work on your resume and spam positions on a job website, in Canada Indeed.com is the most popular one. If you apply to 10-25 a day someone will call you back. Also, people will find your resume and send you job offers. I was a Water Taxi Operator at a yacht club a decade ago before uni, but I still get interview offers occasionally from indeed because that is on my resume.

Job hunting is about brains, not effort. You will get discouraged quickly if you pretend it is 1985 and exclusively pound pavement.

You should forget those stupid retail jobs and try to find a plumber, electrician, HVAC contractor, etc who is looking for a labourer/apprentice. If you are motivated and on time every day, that's probably good enough for them and that's a career.

Delete - looks like you posted after I did and answered a lot of questions.

BITOG isn't the new FB. It's an online forum....forum. I like when people share pictures of their travels, ask questions about other things, etc. I find that there are a lot of people here from all walks of life, including many people who seem to be very experienced in their non-oil-related field.

If you don't like it, maybe consider staying out of G&OT...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BossMoss

I was wondering if it was petty to not buy. And people keep asking questions about the hiring process.

But yeah advice would be appreciated.

Up to you, but if its somewhere you still would like to work, limiting your exposure to them = zero chance of a hire.

I couldn't even get an interview at a McDonald's. Yeah, no convictions. ...

These job all have to get done for society to function. Every job is important and you should not have any convictions about wanting to work anywhere and be a productive member of society rather than sitting at home collecting assistance when you are able bodied.

I never ever look down on anyone anywhere that is out there doing a job. I also never question anyones choice about why they might be doing that job and not something else because we don't know someones situation or reasons and quite frankly it's no ones business but theirs.

Good for you that you are open minded about taking any position you could get at the time.

As for boycotting someone that wouldn't hire you, my thoughts are that it's an employers market right now and they can be picky and choose folks with experience that are maybe a tad over qualified than folks they would have to spend time training and that might not have any or near enough experience. I think we as a society need to get back to training people for jobs and requiring less phony education on paper that doesn't mean the person is smart enough or qualified to do a job over someone with a good strong work ethic that just needs a chance and some training.

So I wouldn't boycott some place that wouldn't hire you unless they were down right nasty toward you when most are just being picky because they can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
BITOG is becomming so face book like.

Real soap opera stuff, high drama.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
When I go for an interview:

I ALWAYS wear a suit and tie.
Always greet with a smile,firm confident handshake.
Always say "Yes mam,yes sir"
Maintain eye contact.
Always speak and conduct yourself as being very educated and mature.

The most important one,dress for success. No matter where you're applying,ALWAYS wear a suit and tie. And like the other poster said,these days it's all about networking. It's not what you know but who you know.

The tie and suit if you want to be current is decent dress shirt and pants. Ties are dead unless it matches dress like a bank or financial institution.

If you are older (past 40) you get a pass for dressing like that. You want to dress nice however look the part. Suits are expensive and need to be fitted to look good and should be current compared to just buying a good dress shirt and pants, shoes.

Originally Posted by StevieC
As for boycotting someone that wouldn't hire you, my thoughts are that it's an employers market right now and they can be picky and choose folks with experience that are maybe a tad over qualified than folks they would have to spend time training and that might not have any or near enough experience. I think we as a society need to get back to training people for jobs and requiring less phony education on paper that doesn't mean the person is smart enough or qualified to do a job over someone with a good strong work ethic that just needs a chance and some training.
From what I understand, companies do not want to hire people with the intent of training them, it is cheaper to find someone who is qualified. I think that's where a lot of the dissonance comes in, you see a low wage and you think that maybe you can get the job because it is entry level. In reality they are just trying to find someone desperate enough to work for that wage so they can start them at a industry-low wage level.

I applied for a general maintenance job at a private school, in the interview I said I wanted $20 an hour (years of residential construction experience + 1.5 years of heavy duty cleaning experience. Perfect for the job, right?) I could tell that was much higher than they wanted the spend. Later on in the interview they asked me what trade certs I had. They expected someone with trade certs to come in and work for under $20 an hour on split shifts (so they could treat you as a part timer while working full time hours). They also went out of their way to tell me that they would let me know quickly if they wanted to hire me. In reality it took them over two months and they gave me some lame excuse like "we were really busy" (no one is ever really busy in a school, it's a cushy job).

Some employers are looking for someone to exploit. Especially at positions that are low status/paying. They would be happy with someone who is unskilled or can't speak english that they can abuse, as opposed to someone who is skilled who might expose higher ups as foolish, or might report bad workplace conditions/harassment.

I would say things in interviews that would be in conversations that the executives would have. Like long term strategy of the company and what not. They might have thought I was "too good" and move on quickly, but I would bring chocolate to the interview and show up multiple times to ask for updates, clearly showing I want the job.

Don't do that.

My last job was like that... Worked really hard and they were really stingy. I didn't know before taking the position and was sort of told the 1/2 truth. Nevertheless I stuck with it and little did I know someone I worked with at this job who worked in a different department took notice and told his wife about my work ethic and that is how I have the job now. They approached me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Since moving over life has been really great. My previous employer can't understand why I left though and they haven't been able to fill the position.

My point is sometimes it takes those jobs to get to a better place, all the while the employer thinks they have found a fish to take their stingy wages etc. and then an opportunity like mine happens and well it's their loss now.

If employers would just look at the returns of investing into their employees they would find that it would pay them back in spades with loyalty and strong work ethic instead of trying to cut corners thinking they are saving only to loose the person and have to start all over again. Plus that employee that left has now taken with then a copy in their mind of how the company they once worked for operates and could easily go to a competitor with this information.

I think it's this reason we don't see people working for the same place for their entire professional career any longer.

SAD!

Last edited:
If you really think you want to work at Walmart, the ones around here are desperate, pay fairly well for unskilled work, and will hire anyone they think will regularly show up. This is the only real interview criteria, you have to convince them you are available at any time, any day, and will always show up for your shift. This is much harder for them to find or train than any other skill or value. The only other things they are worried about is if you are a drug addict and/or will steal from them.

On the downside, the customers are rude and disrespectful even more than in other retail, the management will treat you like dirt and has less than zero consideration for family obligations, will constantly hammer you to do whatever stupid thing gives them a bigger bonus, will pull you from helping customers to unload trucks, stock shelves or clean because those whose job it is, didn't, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The tie and suit if you want to be current is decent dress shirt and pants. Ties are dead unless it matches dress like a bank or financial institution.

If you are older (past 40) you get a pass for dressing like that. You want to dress nice however look the part. Suits are expensive and need to be fitted to look good and should be current compared to just buying a good dress shirt and pants, shoes.

I disagree. The professional world is geared towards being conservative. A suit and tie is traditional conservative dress,and that will never go out of style. EVERYONE should own one good suit. If you dress lackluster to a job interview,the hiring manager will take that as if you don't care and are not taking it seriously. NEVER wear jeans to a job interview.

As to the price of a good suit,I bought a Ralph Lauren 100% wool suit at Macy's on sale for right under $100,they did all the alterations for free.

My last job was like that... Worked really hard and they were really stingy. I didn't know before taking the position and was sort of told the 1/2 truth. Nevertheless I stuck with it and little did I know someone I worked with at this job who worked in a different department took notice and told his wife about my work ethic and that is how I have the job now. They approached me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Since moving over life has been really great. My previous employer can't understand why I left though and they haven't been able to fill the position.

My point is sometimes it takes those jobs to get to a better place, all the while the employer thinks they have found a fish to take their stingy wages etc. and then an opportunity like mine happens and well it's their loss now.

If employers would just look at the returns of investing into their employees they would find that it would pay them back in spades with loyalty and strong work ethic instead of trying to cut corners thinking they are saving only to loose the person and have to start all over again. Plus that employee that left has now taken with then a copy in their mind of how the company they once worked for operates and could easily go to a competitor with this information.

That's how I got my current job. I was working for my dad doing construction and we had an electrician who was friendly to everyone. I asked him to take me on as an apprentice, and he agreed. A few months later I called him and asked him if he was still looking and little did I know he had been through multiple bad apprentices. He knew I was a good worker, and I outlasted his other apprentices. He also told me some our clients had complimented me. Hardcore, baby boomer level work ethic is mostly gone. Determined workers are super rare, and they will work crappy jobs because their work ethic is strong enough to offset the conditions/wages. Most of the time if management plays favorites, those people will shake lose/be plucked because they make other workers look lazy. Some people take "it's not what you know, but who you know" to dizzying extremes.

I just learned this week that there are 600,000 unfilled jobs across Canada. I think some of that is the discrepancy between public sector v private sector compensation. However, welfare benefits can't be that generious, and we have plenty of cheap labour with our open borders. Some employers are definitely optimistic when they post their vacancies. I've seen a few job vacancies that want an engineering degree for $25 an hour.

I don't mean to be too blunt here, but why would you want to work at Walmart or an Advance Auto Parts store making $10/hr? Why not go for a $20/hr+ job? It's possible you come off as too polished for these jobs. No offense, but if I were hiring for Walmart and the worker started talking about corporate strategy I'd probably think you were off your meds.

Most areas of the US there are shortages of employees and many places are desperate for workers. The construction industry alone in most places is so desperate, they are hiring people with zero experience for construction jobs and training them at high wages. I heard in the news just the other day that south Florida is hiring construction workers with no degrees at $75,000/yr with benefits.

I'm not sure what the economy is like in CA or your area, but consider relocation to land a good job. The economy is on fire right now... Go make some money while the getting is good!

Last edited:

I think it's this reason we don't see people working for the same place for their entire professional career any longer.

SAD!

The problem was I couldn't even land a menial job.
And Japan has it really good with a hiring event like the NFL draft where people get tied to a company, almost like a wedding ceremony.

Originally Posted by GMFan
I don't mean to be too blunt here, but why would you want to work at Walmart or an Advance Auto Parts store making $10/hr? Why not go for a $20/hr+ job? It's possible you come off as too polished for these jobs. No offense, but if I were hiring for Walmart and the worker started talking about corporate strategy I'd probably think you were off your meds.

Most areas of the US there are shortages of employees and many places are desperate for workers. The construction industry alone in most places is so desperate, they are hiring people with zero experience for construction jobs and training them at high wages. I heard in the news just the other day that south Florida is hiring construction workers with no degrees at $75,000/yr with benefits.

I'm not sure what the economy is like in CA or your area, but consider relocation to land a good job. The economy is on fire right now... Go make some money while the getting is good!

I just wanted something simple while trying to to take the next higher leap. And I didn't apply at Walmart.

As for "corporate strategy," I spoke mainly of insuring the next visit from the customer. Making sure people come in over and over. Pretty vanilla. At Best Buy I talked about how the company tries hard to force the consumer's hand. Like the $600 TCL that is available for $650 elsewhere, without getting into too many details. In this day and age of Amazon, such places may inevitably fold. Anyways, the truth is the truth no matter who it comes from. I read a lot and listen to NPR's "A Way with Words," a podcast dedicated to the use of the English language. Not to sound conceded, but I would like to think that I have good enough vacublary and sound more professional than the average Joe.

I do know of overnight workers at Target who unload trucks and stock shelves. They do not hire people who would easily replace them; they hire people who will not be good candidates for any higher up or supervisor roles.

These job all have to get done for society to function. Every job is important and you should not have any convictions about wanting to work anywhere and be a productive member of society rather than sitting at home collecting assistance when you are able bodied.

I never ever look down on anyone anywhere that is out there doing a job. I also never question anyones choice about why they might be doing that job and not something else because we don't know someones situation or reasons and quite frankly it's no ones business but theirs.

Good for you that you are open minded about taking any position you could get at the time.

So I wouldn't boycott some place that wouldn't hire you unless they were down right nasty toward you when most are just being picky because they can.

Great post Stevie C

Originally Posted by CT8

Great post Stevie C

Yep! Stevie C is right on!

ANY job is a good job. I respect anyone who works,no matter what they do or where they work. The scum I look down on are the grown adults who either sponge off the government or their overly generous pampering parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back