Wrist Watches again?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Man, you are killing me with these watches. I love'em!

Agreed. This thread has me looking at watches again.
Not the fancy ones but looking again.

Primo pieces BeerCan! I have a 1967 Accutron 214 movement. I'm scouting around for a 214 Spaceview now. The hum of the tuning fork watches is mesmerizing but my Seiko5 automatic is my go to watch.

Last edited:
IMO, Victorinox is among the value Swiss brands and Orient for the Japanese brands. Both with surprising quality for their price segments. Both being at different ends of the price spectrum.

Lots of neat timepieces in this thread. The article on the Citizen Chonomaster was interesting - very different dial - very different watch.

I have around fifteen or so watches, mostly automatics plus a hand-wound and a quartz here and there. I also dipped my toe into the Hamilton Electric wristwatch pool around 20 years ago just as prices were starting to go up. I sold them off when prices were out of control, but kept some of the cheap "Vantage" branded pieces that have the 505-based movement. The Hamilton Electric is definitely a "what could have been" story.

As far as sizing goes, I top out at 40 mm for a dress watch and 42 mm for a dive watch - anything larger just doesn't look right on me.

Here are a few of my current favorites:

Mido Commander

[Linked Image]

Titoni Airmaster Pilot

[Linked Image]

Vintage Rolex

[Linked Image]

The wrist watch along with compact camera, calculator, paper maps, tiny flashlight all replaced by a smartphone for me and many others.

I have some ones from swatch, Rolex , tag hauer, Casio and timex all sitting in a drawer.

Found a pic of my old Casio Twincept. I wore that watch pretty much every day since about 1997 to 2011. Went through multiple wrist bands and batteries, but it kept on going.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Astro14
Beercan - you really have some great watches. Very cool collection!

Thanks. I really like watches and have a few more that are newer. 2 and 3 hand watches just remind me of a simpler time. No cell, no social media etc.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by talest
That is a good looking and functional watch and for $26.39 I believe we have a winner.

If I had to nitpick a little, the digital display could have been designed better. For example, you can't see day of the week and day of the month on the same screen, which is what I am used to seeing on all my other watches.

Also, the main difference between the orange version and white version is that the orange version only has lume on the hands as opposed to on all digits, alas,the lume doesn't last very long anyway. Hard to expect great lume in this price range, I guess. Besides, the LCD has a backlight, so no biggie.

Orange one looks a bit more unique.

I just really like the size of this watch. Case is only 42mm wide, so it doesn't look ridiculously huge on my smaller wrist, compared to all the other G-Shocks and Tough Solars out there.

[Linked Image]

Update: Quattro Pete, You may have the better color schism.

I was in an opportunity to really see what our watch in the Orange configuration did in low to no light. There was no luminescence on the hands. The backlight lit up the digital section, sure, again, almost exactly like an old Timex Expedition which this watch most reminds me of (from high school days) but shuts off fast. I had to press twice to really see what time it was digitally.

It is fine and dandy in the day but at night, I believe the nod would go to the unit you have pictured.

While this is not the Timex Expedition I had, I do believe this one looks rather clean, and I may trade up to it. Maybe. It is not solar or anything, though that never was a thing. I also, personally, dislike the Automatic or Perpetual movement watches, the ones that require no battery but use some form of kinetic energy. Anyways, that nothing to do with these timepieces. Do you like it?

[Linked Image]

The backlight lit up the digital section, sure, again, almost exactly like an old Timex Expedition which this watch most reminds me of (from high school days) but shuts off fast. I had to press twice to really see what time it was digitally.
I'm sure you knew that, but backlight duration is configurable. From the factory, it's set to 1.5 seconds. You have an option to change it to 3 seconds, alas, even that is kind of short. I guess it drains the battery quickly, so that's why they keep it so short.

It is fine and dandy in the day but at night, I believe the nod would go to the unit you have pictured.
Just full disclosure, I had to expose the watch to a very strong direct light (a flashlight firing directly at the watch) before taking that photo. And as I mentioned earlier, the lume is very short lived - once you move it to the darkness, maybe 20 minutes tops. The lume on the hands lasts longer than on the numbers. One of these days I'll get a watch with tritium vials.
smile.gif

Do you like it?
If you're asking if I like my Casio AQS800W, then yes, very much so. I've been wearing it almost exclusively ever since it arrived. The whole solar charging is kind of cool. I didn't really care for it when buying it, but now I dig it. This will likely become my main go-to watch unless I need to dress up and then a dress watch would be more appropriate.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
The backlight lit up the digital section, sure, again, almost exactly like an old Timex Expedition which this watch most reminds me of (from high school days) but shuts off fast. I had to press twice to really see what time it was digitally.
I'm sure you knew that, but backlight duration is configurable. From the factory, it's set to 1.5 seconds. You have an option to change it to 3 seconds, alas, even that is kind of short. I guess it drains the battery quickly, so that's why they keep it so short.

Just full disclosure, I had to expose the watch to a very strong direct light (a flashlight firing directly at the watch) before taking that photo. And as I mentioned earlier, the lume is very short lived - once you move it to the darkness, maybe 20 minutes tops. The lume on the hands lasts longer than on the numbers. One of these days I'll get a watch with tritium vials.
smile.gif

Do you like it?
If you're asking if I like my Casio AQS800W, then yes, very much so. I've been wearing it almost exclusively ever since it arrived. The whole solar charging is kind of cool. I didn't really care for it when buying it, but now I dig it. This will likely become my main go-to watch unless I need to dress up and then a dress watch would be more appropriate.

[Linked Image]

I found that the light luminesced in heat more, as opposed to low or no light. I was working and went into a hot space and the hands illuminated in somewhat low light, as it was very hot. The same thing happens with self darkening glasses lenses. If they are hot and then become cold, or maybe if it is steaming hot then they get dark, they can get quite dark if reaching the maximum however it seems to be the hot heat to cool shade that makes them get dark. The hands seem to illuminate in the same way.

And, as to the watch, the Tough Solar. I managed to put a nice little scrape right in the middle of the face yesterday. I took the protective cover off the screen a couple of days ago, after it predictably bubbled after a rain. I'm working, watch on my wrist, and it got a nice scrape mark on the middle of the face. Perhaps this could have happened with any watch, but now whenever I look at it I know it is there. I might be able to get past it, but I am considering that Timex I posted, with the nice clean numbers.

I think I would prefer a three-second backlight.. Yes, I knew only the digital lights, it seems that the hands are always in the way when you want to see the digital. It works, yes, I think the Timex may be laid out better, this almost what you said about the digital display in the first place about how you wish it was all on the front instead of in a scroll-through. That always used to make the face look cluttered, in my opinion.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by spasm3
What do you guys think of this watch?

[Linked Image]

Your image is not showing

You need the URL that ends in .jpg and you put it in between
with no spaces

Originally Posted by spasm3
What do you guys think of this watch?

[Linked Image]

It's OK. Not a watch I'd personally choose, but, to each, his own.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Not into watches, only wear my $20. Casio to work.

That's OK, good to have you aboard. A $20 Casio will qualify.

As long as the name of your timepiece doesn't end in "phone" I think it qualifies.

I treated myself with 2 discount Invicta 200m/660Ft water resistant
Normally I wear an older than 10 years Swatch which I can remember how I got.
Still eyeing some Swiss/Vixtorinox. One can only dream.

Anybody remembers the Hong-Kong made platic watches of the 80's with calculators?
That was like "I got the rocketship on my hand" in the 80's in a far-far-away Communist country....

Back