Can we resurrect a wrist watch thread again?

My latest addition is a blast from the past. Available as new.

20220417_150027.jpg

The Armitron "Griffy"

I’ve got a Timex Ironman I wear on days I’m out in the field getting dirty, and a Hamilton Khaki mechanical I wear other times. The Hamilton was a wedding day gift from my wife with an engraving on the back (this is my favorite watch I own). I have an Omega Aqua Terra I bought around 2016 but I only wear it for special occasions. I’ve also got an old Citizen Eco-Drive, a Casio, and a few automatic Seikos (including an orange monster!).

Kinda cool that LED watches have made a bit of a comeback. Here is Dad's Westime I got from him when I was 10 years old and living in Sherman Oaks in 1986 when nobody was wearing LED watches anymore. Modern batteries, the watch takes two SR44 button cells, last about 3 years with occasional use. Please note that the LED numerals are very small but crisp with no odd gaps unlike in modern LED displays. Each LED segments is actually individually wired and soldered to the circuit board with the thinnest mono-filament wires, much thinner than a human hair, I have ever seen. If I had a macro lens I could show you this impressive technological feat of the early to mid-1970s. The watch is quite beat up because preteen me was a go-anywhere and do-anything kid. Surprisingly, the watch is still working and I intend to keep it that way. This watch has to be at least 45 years old. The quartz crystal enclosure is about half an inch long - absolutely massive by modern standards.

I have a modest watch collection, about 7 practical or dress watches but most need batteries. These days my main two daily carries are either a Casio Protrek solar or a Bulova Marine Star. I also have a few various Timex Ironman watches, a Casio G-Shock, and some others.
20220420_135306.jpg
Resized_20220420_141651.jpeg
Resized_20220420_135810.jpeg

This thread is funny - reminds me of the classic watch barter for hotel room scene in the excellent Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Same watch I wear every day... simple tool watch... not even a date function... no diamonds or precious metals... a holdover from the days before Rolex became a fashion brand... tells the time and I can use the bezel to time my takeout orders... what more could I ask?

I will likely never refinish it... every scratch and ding tells a story... just like me...
View attachment 76286
Beautiful in it's simplicity. Nice.

I think I'm going to chime in too. I used to wear watches all the time as a kid, usually Casios and a Timex Ironman once upon a time. Sometime during adulthood I stopped and eventually replaced watches with Fitbits and eventually a cheap Chinese fitness tracker/smartwatch. To it's credit it worked way better than it should have for $25. I got tired of not being able to look down and just see the time. Fast forward to a little while ago, and somehow I just remembered that watches are a thing. There, then I tumbled down the rabbit hole of the world of watches and watch collecting.

I thought I was settled on a Casio G-Shock GG-B100 but after really thinking about it I couldn't justify the cost when the ProTrek PRT-B70 can be had WAY cheaper on Amazon and has the same quad sensor setup. And I had initially really wanted ana-digi. Then I started thinking about what other watches I'd add to my would-be collection. It was then that I realized that my wife's pretty opposed to me starting yet another collection, I think I'm going to have to really pick just one. Don't need to let my hoarding tendencies get fired up again.

So now I'm pretty sure that I'm settled, for now, on a classic square G-Shock GW-M5610. I'll probably change my mind again in the next month or so before I finally pull the trigger on this.

Any other Casio collector's on here have an 'If I only had one watch' pick?

Currently I'm keeping my wrist warm with this one. My wife actually picked this up several years ago to try to distress/beat it up to try and replicate her late grandfather's old watch and then give it as a gift to her mother.

20220427_171235.jpg

Back