Wow, blown away at Acura dealership service price

Rather have a belt with a schedule than a "lifetime" chain that costs twice as much and fails randomly.
The belts/tensioner can fail randomly and in this case, the J-series is an interference engine. Chain > belts.

Dropped the wifes 2014 rdx at the fife WA Acura dealership this morning for the 100k timing belt service. $1890. Last time I had this done at an Acura it was 790. I also need a key for the acura. The key was in backorder at last dealer at 260. This dealer quoted 589. I am blown away at the prices.

I know Acura gets a little bit more, but this place seems crazy high.
Take it Honda dealership Same parts probably much cheaper . The reason Acura charging so much is because of the fancy coffee machine in the waiting rooms and comfy seats . That cost you know 😎😎

Dropped the wifes 2014 rdx at the fife WA Acura dealership this morning for the 100k timing belt service. $1890. Last time I had this done at an Acura it was 790. I also need a key for the acura. The key was in backorder at last dealer at 260. This dealer quoted 589. I am blown away at the prices.

I know Acura gets a little bit more, but this place seems crazy high.
Acura is Honda's luxury line...why would you expect any less?
Go price those services/items from MB, BMW, or Volvo and compare.

Also, your prices from before are most likely pre-covid. Which clearly cannot be compared to today's reality.

It's absolutely ridiculous that Honda is still using timing belts in their V6s. Even the new Honda Pilot, which is getting a new engine, is still going to use timing belts. What the **** Honda.
No nooo you joking I hope I was looking into the new Honda pilot with the new V6 I was hoping they went Chain this time smh

I recently replaced the timing belt on my Lexus LS400. The OEM kit cost $350.00 and in addition to the timing belt, it included a water pump, cam shaft and crank seals, tensioner, drive belt, thermostat, gaskets and some other things.
I had to pull the radiator and dismantle the entire front of the engine to do this. In reassembling it took some sealants and all the radiator coolant was replaced. I also replaced the ignition rotors because one had a hairline crack. Since it was my first time doing this in my driveway, it took me 12 hours.
I would guess the book rate at a dealership would be 6 hours and it's not hard to imagine the parts would be double. So, add parts at $700.00, labor at $900.00, coolant at $75.00, shop supplies and sales tax $200.00 and you have $1870.00.
If you do it yourself you can use quality OEM parts and supplies, make sure the job was done right, learn something, and save $1500.00.

Take it Honda dealership Same parts probably much cheaper . The reason Acura charging so much is because of the fancy coffee machine in the waiting rooms and comfy seats . That cost you know 😎😎
In my area I'd wager that the Acura dealer is cheaper than Honda. Local Honda store have been crooks since they were Honda-Pontiac-Cadillac.

Dealer here is $125-140 hr.
Similar here. Most of the good private shops near me are about $100/hr.

I was just watching a video of my favorite shop owner with a youtube channel (South Main Auto). His rate is $90/hr. First I heard him mention it in years of watching his channel. He did a ton of work on a 2014 Subaru Outback (new front subframe, suspension parts, engine oil pan, etc.. etc.. and the bill was ~$1700 per him. It was over 8hrs labor.

No nooo you joking I hope I was looking into the new Honda pilot with the new V6 I was hoping they went Chain this time smh
Negative, Ghostrider, pattern is full. It's even a DOHC engine instead of the SOHC too....still timing belt:

The 2023 Pilot is powered by a new aluminum-alloy 3.5 liter V-6 featuring direct injection, dual-overhead camshafts, 24-valves and the Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) system. Horsepower is rated at 285 @ 6100 rpm (SAE net), and torque is an impressive 262 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm (SAE net).

All trim variants of the 2023 Honda Pilot have an all-new 3.5-liter V6 engine under the hood. The all-aluminum motor has 24 valves, double overhead camshafts (DOHC), hydraulic lash adjuster rocker arms, and low profile cylinder heads to pump out 285 horsepower and 262 lb-ft. of torque, five more horses than before but with the same amount of twist.

Last edited:

I was just watching a video of my favorite shop owner with a youtube channel (South Main Auto). His rate is $90/hr. First I heard him mention it in years of watching his channel. He did a ton of work on a 2014 Subaru Outback (new front subframe, suspension parts, engine oil pan, etc.. etc.. and the bill was ~$1700 per him. It was over 8hrs labor.
And people say NY is too expensive to run a profitable business 😉
He complains about it all the time, and it's getting old IMO
He whines about the People's Republic of NY, yet he takes on state vehicle work 🤷‍♂️

How often does this happen?
How often does a timing chain on an extremely mild NA V6 break and fail randomly? I'd wager the timing belt is going to break more, statistically. The difference though is usually the timing chain engines aren't interference so it's not as catastrophic.

Last edited:
In my area I'd wager that the Acura dealer is cheaper than Honda. Local Honda store have been crooks since they were Honda-Pontiac-Cadillac.
My local Honda dealer (sales and service) are shockingly awful in every way, I have no idea how they're still in business

Apparently Honda dealers in the tri state area don't have to work very hard to please, which is kind of unfortunate 😔

I need to get the timing belt replaced on my 99 Civic. I called the local Honda dealership first and they quoted me $1499. I called a couple of local independent shops and the best price I found was $760. The owner of the lowest price shop gave me the quote, told me exactly what he would be replacing and genuinely sounded interested in the job. I didn’t expect Honda to be double the price, but I’m also guessing they probably don’t want the job. A $2,000 timing belt job would likely keep me from buying that car, that just seems like an insane price.
Honda dealership will use the Honda parts from the Honda distribution network.

Independent shops can cut cost by using aftermarket parts, and they tend to charge less for labor.

Honda dealership will use the Honda parts from the Honda distribution network.

Independent shops can cut cost by using aftermarket parts, and they tend to charge less for labor.
And those aftermarket ones are known for failing when people try to cheap out on the J-series. Only use Aisin/Honda, if at all possible.

May have missed a red flag. Was at the dealership when they opened, I was the only customer. I said I was in zero hurry, could take weeks, I didn't care. Yet they already had the car in the bay right after I left. And the service bays were empty. Not a typical scene for most new car dealership service departments.
Not here. Two weeks ago I made an appointment to get my 08 Liberty flashed for a problem with the odometer. The earliest appointment I could get was 12/28, I went into the shop to book it. Other dealers were booked until mid January, another said March. Either they don't want my business or they're booked up. From the looks of it the service departments are that booked up.

Yep, if your small town is lucky, you have a guy running a shop like him.
We have a good one with similar rates, and the fellow who runs it started fixing cars in his garage without a lift! Now 30 years later he still likes fixing peoples cars the right way for a reasonable amount of money. It can be a long wait, but he knows his customers and does some triage as well if its a quick repair to get a one car family back on the road.

Reactions: JTK
How often does a timing chain on an extremely mild NA V6 break and fail randomly? I'd wager probably about the same, statistically. The difference though is usually the timing chain engines aren't interference so it's not as catastrophic.
VW has a few, Ford has a few, GM has a few, etc... examples of engines with timing chain problems.

Maybe I am living in the past. The prices seem well above current market rate. If they aren't, I am wrong and am sorry. If they are exploitive, they will make a money on me once.
My local indie is $65/hr. The nearest branded dealer (Ford) is $145/hr. Unless it’s warranty work or recalls, the indie will get my money every time- at least I know he and his workers are getting it, rather than $100/hr going right into the pocket of the dealership owner. I also don’t have to worry about the indie using an impact on my oil pan drain bolt, nor promising me he’d “comp’d” his service writer’s mistake only to find a week later they had actually billed my FordPass account for it!🤬🤬🤬

Back