Would you use this filter?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
This is a Royal Purple cartridge filter for my Camry. I've been using these for years and this is the first imperfect one I've encountered.

f2.jpg

f1.jpg

the seam is all melted together in construction and the glue is on the filtering side of the element. i would use it. to save some money next time, the gram endurance from walmart is the same filter for a little less money.

The more I look at that seam, the more it bothers me. It's not worth being concerned about it ... which I would be if it was on the engine. I won't be using it. Thanks to all for jumping in.

Hope y'all have an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited:
the seam is all melted together in construction and the glue is on the filtering side of the element. i would use it. to save some money next time, the gram endurance from walmart is the same filter for a little less money.
The Fram has a different construction, and in the past I considered it, ultimately deciding to stick with Royal Purple and Toyota's TRD filers. The $2.00 or $3.00 saving is not important.

The Fram has a different construction, and in the past I considered it, ultimately deciding to stick with Royal Purple and Toyota's TRD filers. The $2.00 or $3.00 saving is not important.
interesting, what is different about it?

Royal Purple on the left. For a starter, the end caps and gaskets are substantially different. Right or wrong, I refer metal end caps and I like the thicker and softer gasket on the RP.

View attachment 221321
I find it puzzling, Champ/Fram have such a variation whereas TRD and Royal Purple cartridges are identical in assembly materials. When it comes to production rate, I'd think rate progressive stamping of the steel endcaps would yield higher volume compared to injection molded endcaps which would be naturally slower rate due to the mold injection cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if they're sourcing the plastic endcaps from a secondary supplier in volume to minimize cost.

The more I look at that seam, the more it bothers me. It's not worth being concerned about it ... which I would be if it was on the engine. I won't be using it. Thanks to all for jumping in.

Hope y'all have an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.
For the premium it should have better quality on the seam. Throw in the somewhat sloppy glue job & you have a good case for replacement.

I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here. The seam doesn't 'appear' as concerning 'to me' as the excess potting blobs on the pleats. 'In my observation', the outer viewable part of the seams on these RP, FE, Amsoil can sometimes appear a little wonky looking. But in the past, closer inspection of seam reveals them to be sealed on the interior of seam joining area, so no issue. The potting, while it might not or probably won't break off, not totally out of the question imo. Perhaps some of it could be removed, but I'd be more concerned about that.

Bottom line though, one would/should expect better from a premium filter.

I’ve cut open several used Fram Endurance filters that look similar. Sloppy construction with glue everywhere, funky seam and badly cut threads. I no longer use them.
I've had a number of problems with the threads on Fram filters over the years and got one with a cut across the gasket which caused an oil leak. After that I stopped using them and try to go with OEM filters. Or NAPA Gold.

I've had a number of problems with the threads on Fram filters over the years and got one with a cut across the gasket which caused an oil leak. After that I stopped using them and try to go with OEM filters. Or NAPA Gold.
I’ve had two or three Endurance filters with giant slivers of metal in the threads. Had to carefully remove them with a pick. Now I inspect every filter I buy. OG Fram Titanium/Ultra and Premium Guard built filters are my go to recently.

I'd be sufficiently curious to call RP technical support and ask them if this at a minimum cosmetic shortcoming was reflective of their standard workmanship or if there's another explanation and if this is an example of an outlier.

Back