Completely done with Fram products from here on out.

i ran a FE7317 in december and didn’t have any issues with it. i wouldn’t give up as it’s the best filtering efficiency we have at the moment. my next recommendation would be a premium guard, IE a carquest premium, microard select etc. look for a silicone gasket.

The FE7317 i installed on the friends KIA last year had a metal twig sticking out of the center thread hole but i wasnt bothered by it since i used a deburr tool to remove it. All of the FE3600 i have on hand do not have this issue as i inspect every filter before purchase.

In all fairness this is a Champlabs product really not a Fram product, I'm surprised that I've seen Fram Endurance filters have quite a few complaints about bad threads but not the cheap jobber Champ filters that I'm pretty sure use the same tapping plates, funny that the rejects seem to find their way onto the expensive filters and not the dirt cheap ones.

i ran a FE7317 in december and didn’t have any issues with it. i wouldn’t give up as it’s the best filtering efficiency we have at the moment. my next recommendation would be a premium guard, IE a carquest premium, microard select etc. look for a silicone gasket.
FE will be my only Fram when going 2 OCI runs - there are several choices if only going 5K …

Its funny....or sad? But if a person types in something like "problem oil filters etc....." on google or any internet search engine then Kaboom! SURPRISE!
You will get a list that says somthing like "These oil filters are no good so you should avoid them" and it will list just about all ever made and include many of the BEST oil filters that I have ever used. LoL Yet they are listed as BAD! Matter of fact I can honestly say I can count on ONE hand the number of so called bad or problem oil filters I have ever encountered and I do not ever recall having to bring one back for a refund. I guess the point is there is someone out there someplace who is always making these lists that mean absolutely NOTHING in the real world.
Its the main thing I hate about the internet is the fact that anyone can get away with typing the most outlandish opinions about anything from mechanicals to religion to healthcare and on and on and it can be the biggest piles of doggie doo doo and lots of it is outright LIES that far too many simple minds will read and fall for it hook line and sinker each and every day.

Reactions: hrv
^^^ In other words, the rising and spreading of misconceptions and false information leads to the dumbing down and eventual downfall of society. It's basically everywhere. "Idiocracy" is a good documentary movie. 😄

Anyway, never buy a filter until you can inspect it first is the best way to avoid any surprises like this one. I've seen flaws in about every brand if you look at enough of them.

Last edited:
I'm always looking for dents, so it's pretty easy to flip it over & look at threads. Amazing how many issues with filters these days, the $2 ones of the past never had them...

Sorry about the cobbled thread on the FE, seems like poor QC. On the plus side, if you're buying the FE off the WM shelf you can open the box and inspect the filter before purchase. Where possible, always best practice.

As an aside, kinda weird that the current Ultra box still sealed but top of the line FE box unsealed and filter can be inspected.

Sorry about the cobbled thread on the FE, seems like poor QC. On the plus side, if you're buying the FE off the WM shelf you can open the box and inspect the filter before purchase. Where possible, always best practice. As an aside, kinda weird that the current Ultra box still sealed but top of the line FE box unsealed and filter can be inspected.
Sealed or not. I always open the box to look at it before I buy.....Oil or Air or Cabin filter...

Sealed or not. I always open the box to look at it before I buy.....Oil or Air or Cabin filter...
Well, if the intent is to buy, I suppose that's ok. But I'm not really a fan of it. Example, current Super Tech CAFs come in sealed box, because of that I won't even consider purchase. Iirc, it's like zip/tear type box closure and I'm not doing that just to look. That said, I get why WM does it.

Honestly never looked at the threads on a filter before installing. Now I have to be careful about that?
I’ve never had this problem before with any other filter and I’ve tried them all, including the other Fram premium filters (ultra, titanium). But this is the second endurance filter. I went back to my old posts and found my post, (mistakenly I said 6 months ago but it was more like a year ago) #184 of this thread where I again ran into this situation with my wife’s old car for anyone doubting.

I bet that soft metal thread probably would have corrected itself upon careful installation but as we all know Honda's are sensitive. A chaser is relatively cheap on amazon and I might pick one up. I doubt there is/was anything else wrong with it. Too bad you are done with Fram, they make good products.

I bet that soft metal thread probably would have corrected itself upon careful installation but as we all know Honda's are sensitive. A chaser is relatively cheap on amazon and I might pick one up. I doubt there is/was anything else wrong with it. Too bad you are done with Fram, they make good products.
My last Honda factory filter from the bunch I got also had a tough time catching the thread at first, looked fine. Spun on fine on the second go

Back