Completely done with Fram products from here on out.

I've never had a problem with threads on any brand and I've installed many including Frams.

Having said that ....I've seen enough Fram's lately with wavy, uneven pleats (usually a very wide gap at the metal seam) to make me choose a different brand. As I've said before....how can Asian manufacturers make filters
with nice evenly spaced pleats for a lot less money than even a Fram EG? Poor 'Quality Control' seems to be the answer to my question.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with threads on any brand and I've installed many including Frams.

Having said that ....I've seen enough *insert brand here* lately with wavy, uneven pleats (usually a very wide gap at the metal seam) to make me choose a different brand.
Fixed. Unfortunately bad quality control and shrinkflation seems to be plaguing all filters across the board.

There’s been something going on with that size filter. I had the same issue a year ago and ended up getting a WIX (Napa Gold) as well. Ended up paying more for that what what a nicer built OE filter costs. Won’t do that again.

You probably could’ve taken a razor knife to that burr on the threads. Gently pick into the thread to pop it out. I also understand not wanting to mess with it too.

I also stopped using Fram filters due to these poor threads. I never saw Fram filters with this issue until late last year, but I checked three different ones off the shelf one day in a row and they all had massive hanging burrs.

My concern is that, what if a large burr fell off into the inside of the filter while the finished filter was being jostled around during packaging or shipping, and then at first engine start with that filter, the burr gets circulated through the engine? I much prefer clean threads that are free of burrs since we have the choice.

I switched to Denso. Their spin-on filters have excellent threads and they package them with a clear plastic seal over the entire open end of the filter.

Always inspect the threads and the cleanliness of the threads and base plate, as well as look down inside the center tube to make sure everything is copacetic before buying or installing ... no matter what filter brand it is.

Back