FRAM Synthetic Endurance is looking a bit weak.

Picked up this FE10075 FRAM Synthetic Endurance today for $13 (without looking inside the box) today at Walmart, along with some Quaker State 5w40 Euro.
Is it just me or does the filter media area on this look very weak compared to pretty much every other aftermarket cartridge filter for BMW engines? Spec is 99% @>20u, but I suspect that the capacity of this filter might not live up to the generous 25k mile claim.
20230904_000505.jpg

For sake of comparison, here is a FRAM Extra Guard and a MANN filter for the same car, which come in at only $7 on RockAuto and look about the same as every other filter for this car.
1693811618963.png
1693811684925.png

This Fram Endurance looks ready for battle to me. It's one of the best technology filter media available today. There are filters that I know are NOT offered through this line because they will not go more than 15,000 miles (think sooty diesel). The fact that it's offered & states 25k you can be sure it's ready for the task.

The thing I don’t like about the synthetic endurance is the glue that falls down off the end caps on the filter media. Every single box I opened at Walmart had that...some really bad, with the glue/adhesive dripping a quarter of the way down.

To me that was just bad quality control, and I didn’t care for it. I don’t know if it actually effects anything, but if one of those pieces breaks off? What does that mean?

Considering how many people are able to predict the future performance of a motor oil based upon a typical values PDS or $30 spectrographic analysis, I’m not surprised that they are equally able to deem an oil filter “weak” or likely not meeting it’s published efficiency rating based upon a simple visual analysis.

The thing I don’t like about the synthetic endurance is the glue that falls down off the end caps on the filter media. Every single box I opened at Walmart had that...some really bad, with the glue/adhesive dripping a quarter of the way down.

To me that was just bad quality control, and I didn’t care for it. I don’t know if it actually effects anything, but if one of those pieces breaks off? What does that mean?
I see your point. BUT, look back at the jobber filters I’ve cut that had real sloppy glue and they held up ok. I don’t like sloppy manufacturing.

Considering how many people are able to predict the future performance of a motor oil based upon a typical values PDS or $30 spectrographic analysis, I’m not surprised that they are equally able to deem an oil filter “weak” or likely not meeting it’s published efficiency rating based upon a simple visual analysis.
Well, you could mate it with a lube called “weak sauce” here … then change often bcs the YouTube dude got your 👍 below …

Picked up this FE10075 FRAM Synthetic Endurance today for $13 (without looking inside the box) today at Walmart, along with some Quaker State 5w40 Euro.
Is it just me or does the filter media area on this look very weak compared to pretty much every other aftermarket cartridge filter for BMW engines? Spec is 99% @>20u, but I suspect that the capacity of this filter might not live up to the generous 25k mile claim.
View attachment 176788

For sake of comparison, here is a FRAM Extra Guard and a MANN filter for the same car, which come in at only $7 on RockAuto and look about the same as every other filter for this car.
You are witnessing a spun Synthetic Fiber media vs fiberglass and paper and resin.
It's like a canvas grocery bag vs. a paper bag - which on has more carrying ability?

Bad analogy, but it's what I got this morning :)
- Ken

You can't tell the efficiency, holding capacity or dP vs flow curve by looking at an oil filter. That's what ISO 4548 is for.
This. The testing equipment for ISO 4548-12 runs over a million dollars, and a class action lawsuit would be at least 100 times that if they were making false claims, but you can tell that a filter isn’t good enough with your eyes? The Fram Endurance is literally the longest-rated filter available on the market today; you think they don’t have a target on their back if they made false claims?

View attachment 176788

View attachment 176789View attachment 176790
🙄🙄🙄...the Fram Endurance is a synthetic filter vs those others are cellulose or cellulose with microglass enhanced media. A synthetic media has a higher holding capacity by its nature that is why synthetic filters consistently have higher mileage ratings. How many miles were you planning on doing an oil change anyway? If you have concerns, you can always open the cartridge cover off and inspect the filter (assuming looking at it can tell you how it is performing) and if you are not comfortable with how it looks at that mileage, you can always replace it. Don't over think this. It's one of the best filters in the market and remember that you don't have to run it to the extent of it's rated period. Filters are cheap, engines are expensive.

Alright, I get it! 😂 This noob has been shown the light. I guess I was quick to judge a book by its cover because it looked different from every other filter I've used.

It's going in the 535i wagon today. I'll update in 6k miles how it holds up.

This. The testing equipment for ISO 4548-12 runs over a million dollars, and a class action lawsuit would be at least 100 times that if they were making false claims, but you can tell that a filter isn’t good enough with your eyes?
To add, the ISO 4548 test standard has been used internationally since 1999. So if there wasn't any validity to it, it certainly wouldn't have lasted this long as the world standard to measure oil filter performance.

Back