BMW cartridge oil filter - correct installation?

That has got to be one for the ages. I would love to know the reason BMW made the filter / filter housing like this. Unbelievable.
Because previous designs, while straightforward, had issues related to negligence. People would detach the cage and forget to put it back. They would not install small O rings properly, etc.
From my understanding, this one has to lock in.

I put the filter in place making sure that the little thing sticking out goes into the hole then put the cap on. I dont see any other way to insure that its in place.
That's what lead to me asking this question. On my next oil change on the 535d, I'm going to try it your way. Should be around July. Just did the X3 yesterday and think I'll leave well enough alone since everything seemed to go together OK.

That has got to be one for the ages. I would love to know the reason BMW made the filter / filter housing like this. Unbelievable.
Is the objection to cartridge filters? I understand that. Many cars (euro) have essentially this design. Cartridge filters are reliable, presumable use less resources than canister filters. My question is "why are they more expensive?" than canisters.

Honestly, I don't think that is correct. Although I have never done this (or anything)_ on an H/K product. I think the filter goes on the cap first.
I agree but did put cartridge onto housing on my BMW and reopened it, and all was ok. This is after driving.

The reason these filters became popular on European cars is they’re more “green”. Easy to incinerate, no metals involved.
And it seems putting the filter on the cap first then trying to align the pin with the hole would be very difficult. Been doing it my way for eight years no problems.

The reason these filters became popular on European cars is they’re more “green”. Easy to incinerate, no metals involved.
And it seems putting the filter on the cap first then trying to align the pin with the hole would be very difficult. Been doing it my way for eight years no problems.
i like them because its easy to see anything that got caught in the filter.

and as the cap and filter spin, the little pin should self align with the hole.

Mahle design and I’d love to know also.

The little post with the o-ring that sticks out plugs the drain hole for the filter housing. As you unwind the filter cap when removing the filter, the post/o-ring unseats and allows the oil in the filter housing to drain to the sump.

On my older 3 series Beemer (N20) you push the filter into the cap. Care needs to be taken to be sure it is firmly located all the way into the cap. If you don't, you risk damaging the cartridge filter as the cap is screwed in. There are usually markings on the filter to tell you it's correctly located in the cap. My filter is a Mann 816z kit. Be warned, if you don't buy the "kit" version you don't get the included replacement (plastic?) oil drain plug. Have found the chain parts stores like O'Rielly's and AutoZone only carry the none kit version, so I usually order online.

My filter is a Mann 816z kit. Be warned, if you don't buy the "kit" version you don't get the included replacement (plastic?) oil drain plug.
What is this plastic drain plug? The filters for my BMWs only come with an o-ring and a copper drain plug washer.

Last edited:
I always do cartridge filter into cap first. Some filters even have depth insertion guides to ensure it's seated into the cap properly:

1717512018724.jpeg

@wavinwayne, you install the filter into the housing first, finding the hole for the stem and then pushing it down. Then you install the cap. That's the way this design is; my Touareg is the same way.

I would lube the o ring on that stem before installing.
You'd lube the o-ring on the stem before installing it into its home at the bottom of an oil filter housing covered in used oil?

Forgive me for being obtuse, could you explain a little more? I'm not 100% sure I'm tracking. FWIW, when I remove the cap, the filter is attached to a stem on the center of the cap. The cap and filter come out as one unit.
Well, in that case, my idea won't work. Put the nipple in first, then the cap.

No more speculation, straight from BMW FSM:
1717512886886.jpg

"Insert and install the oil filter element (2) in the direction of arrow on the oil filter cover (4).
The oil filter element (2) must engage audibly."

1717512938440.jpg

Position the oil filter cover with the oil filter element in guide bore hole (1) in oil filter housing (2).

1717513020821.jpg

Install the oil filter cover (1) including oil filter element.

No more speculation, straight from BMW FSM:
View attachment 223102

"Insert and install the oil filter element (2) in the direction of arrow on the oil filter cover (4).
The oil filter element (2) must engage audibly."

View attachment 223103

Position the oil filter cover with the oil filter element in guide bore hole (1) in oil filter housing (2).

View attachment 223104
Install the oil filter cover (1) including oil filter element.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! So that answers my question about whether the filter protrudes far enough into the housing to engage the guide bore hole prior to the cap being tightened. Apparently it does even if I can't "feel" it.

@wavinwayne, you install the filter into the housing first, finding the hole for the stem and then pushing it down. Then you install the cap. That's the way this design is; my Touareg is the same way.

You'd lube the o-ring on the stem before installing it into its home at the bottom of an oil filter housing covered in used oil?
I'm assuming that oil drains out of the filter housing when you remove the cap. Don't do it if you like.

Back