Dorman filter for 3.6l Pentastar engines cut open

I wasn't going to post this filter since I don't even know who makes it, or efficiency, etc., but it looks good, definitely a contestant for the centerfold, lol, and maybe someone has more info on it. I replaced the OEM oil filter housing/oil cooler assembly with a Dorman aluminum unit and this filter came in the kit.

Out: This filter and Quaker State 5W-20.
In: CarQuest Premium filter (made in Korea) and Quaker State 10W-30.

This filter was on for 2 months, 8044.6 miles, and 175.47 hours. 283809 miles on the engine.

First 2 photos are of the same filter before being installed.
Enjoy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

There are possibly a few metal flakes, but that's normal.
Yes, there are a few, but they are consistent with what I have seen so far. I'm watching the metal closely, since I know that lots of Pentastars like to eat some rockers/camshafts. Hopefully if I see more metal in the filter I can get to it in time and get away with only replacing the rockers.
No Pentastar tick yet.

Last edited:
This is an excellent result from this engine oil filter. It appears to be a Champ like ecore but did you happen to see where the filter was made on the box?

Yes, there are a few, but they are consistent with what I have seen so far. I'm watching the metal closely, since I know that lots of Pentastars like to eat some rockers/camshafts. Hopefully if I see more metal in the filter I can get to it in time and get away with only replacing the rockers.
No Pentastar tick yet.
Great post! Nice Pentastar, too! Makes me feel great about mine to see yours running around with almost 300k on it!

I run mostly Frams, and they tend to do the twist but all UOA's have come back great, so I don't worry too much. But that filter came out nice and straight! Maybe it is closer to the exact factory spec than others?

Back