New Wix Design, Looking for Opinions

wow… not great. Thanks for the pics OP.

PG filters are looking better and better each day. They literally are what we all loved about WIX from 7 or so years ago from say the Affina days.

After reading entire thread I'll say this, if they are legit M&H "wix" filters, they are more M&H/Mann China filters, than Wix. So, I guess, wix in name only. As for rust, seeing as shipped from China, between shipping container and storage must have been a poor environment along the way. Why being treated with some king of rust preventive and/or baseplate cello seal a good idea. Still, from amount of rust, environment must have been really poor.

This may be an unpopular answer, but I don’t think this corrosion would cause any damage or wear or issues whatsoever.
I was able to remove some of the rust by lightly rubbing with my finger (hard to see but it's a slightly cleaner spot at about 7 o'clock on the cut-open picture, can take a vid when I get back to the shop).

Whether it would cause engine wear directly is certainly debatable since the rust is upstream of the filter, but at the very least it would prematurely and unnecessarily contaminate the filter media.

What's strange about the rust is that only the inside of the can is rusty, not the base plate or other metal parts. So seems they probably used steel that was already rusted when they manufactured the can. If so, not a good way to manufacture - no quality control.

Thanks! It's a little messier in person but I used a rotary cutoff tool with a thinwheel to make all the cuts.

@FlyingVan and @cheesepuffs2 if I'd gotten them from Amazon or the 'Bay I'd suspect they were fakes with how poor they are compared to the last batch, but I think that RockAuto uses reliable suppliers. Here are pictures of the box and the outside of the filter prior to the dissection, it's the first time I've seen a Wix with pad printing instead of the colored sticker.

Also a quick update, RA has approved my return as defective so I'll be sending the remaining five filters back. Now comes the long sojourn through BITOG and the interwebs to research a new brand and model on which I can rely...

View attachment 220514View attachment 220515View attachment 220516View attachment 220517View attachment 220518View attachment 220519View attachment 220520View attachment 220521View attachment 220522View attachment 220523
that is the filter I use on three of my vehicles. I generally buy 6 at a time also. Which filter are you leaning towards now.

that is the filter I use on three of my vehicles. I generally buy 6 at a time also. Which filter are you leaning towards now.
I was at Fleet Farm today with my penlight, I'm considering the Fram Ultra Synthetic as they look really nice from what I can see. More expensive at about $7.50 on RA but I'll take a slight price hit for quality. Haven't looked up any C&P yet on those.
I looked at the Tough Guard as well but those are noticeably cheaper-looking inside than the Ultra Synthetic and only about 75c cheaper.

Mobil 1 looked really nice as well but for as nice as the Fram US looked I don't see a reason to spend more than that.

My budget option is the Champ XL but from that one C&P on here I'm inclined to spend the extra on the Fram US and take the few extra bucks per year penalty.

Still some more research to do but that's where I'm at right now. Still open to other suggestions!

Ivan

Definitely suboptimal.

It looks like a re labeled Mann with the baseplate and white ADBV although I can’t say I’ve seen one with the inner “ecore” cage. The German made Mann filters that fit my old A4 (PH8A size) have been awesome.

Almost looks like it came off the same production line as Mann's W 712/43 for the same applications: https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Oil Filter/W 712~43

1716677805097.jpeg

Hello all, first post but I've been gleaning lots of info over the years from BITOG. Anyway, my latest order of filters from RockAuto is completely different from what I expect in Wix. So different that I'm debating whether I even want to use these or if I should send them right back.

First off, the filter is of completely different construction than the last batch I bought of the same model. The inlet holes are fewer and inside it's got a plastic cage instead of the steel perforated tube. The threaded plate is held on by bent tabs and sealed with a thin rubber washer. The bypass valve spring is also secured by bent tabs which released with disconcerting ease when I went in with a pick. The ADBV is white, which I've never seen before. I'm not sure what it's made of.

There is also rust inside the filter housing as you can see in the pics.

The filter is a 51348. Stamp on the bottom reads "062023 GN 01". Made in China by Mann + Hummel. Wix logo is stamped on the side in white, no sticker. The filter arrived sealed in plastic shrinkwrap inside it's Wix-liveried box.

Incidentally I received a damaged filter in my previous batch which I dissected a few months ago so I have a comparison. I've included three pictures of it. They're the ones with the red ADBV, the steel core tube and the spot-welded drainback spring retainer. It was perfectly clean inside the filter housing with no rust. It is also a 51348. That one is made in the U.S.A.

My initial reaction is to send the remaining five filters back and switch to a different brand henceforth. My question is, am I overreacting? Has anyone else had issues with this new style of filter? Is the rust acceptable at all?

Thanks,
Ivan

View attachment 220349View attachment 220350View attachment 220351View attachment 220352View attachment 220353View attachment 220354View attachment 220355View attachment 220358View attachment 220359View attachment 220360
Pretty sure it’s a Mann design. I’m not seeing a problem with the design or anything other than rust inside the can.
This is why I don’t but filters from rock auto
Ya never know what you’re gonna get. That filter probably sat somewhere in high humidity

Hello all, first post but I've been gleaning lots of info over the years from BITOG. Anyway, my latest order of filters from RockAuto is completely different from what I expect in Wix. So different that I'm debating whether I even want to use these or if I should send them right back.

First off, the filter is of completely different construction than the last batch I bought of the same model. The inlet holes are fewer and inside it's got a plastic cage instead of the steel perforated tube. The threaded plate is held on by bent tabs and sealed with a thin rubber washer. The bypass valve spring is also secured by bent tabs which released with disconcerting ease when I went in with a pick. The ADBV is white, which I've never seen before. I'm not sure what it's made of.

The filter is a 51348. Stamp on the bottom reads "062023 GN 01". Made in China by Mann + Hummel. Wix logo is stamped on the side in white, no sticker. The filter arrived sealed in plastic shrinkwrap inside it's Wix-liveried box.

Incidentally I received a damaged filter in my previous batch which I dissected a few months ago so I have a comparison. I've included three pictures of it. They're the ones with the red ADBV, the steel core tube and the spot-welded drainback spring retainer. It was perfectly clean inside the filter housing with no rust. It is also a 51348. That one is made in the U.S.A.

My initial reaction is to send the remaining five filters back and switch to a different brand henceforth. My question is, am I overreacting? Has anyone else had issues with this new style of filter? Is the rust acceptable at all?

Thanks,
Ivan

View attachment 220349View attachment 220350View attachment 220351View attachment 220352View attachment 220353View attachment 220354View attachment 220355View attachment 220358View attachment 220359View attachment 220360
An immediate throw into the trash bin.

After reading entire thread I'll say this, if they are legit M&H "wix" filters, they are more M&H/Mann China filters, than Wix. So, I guess, wix in name only. As for rust, seeing as shipped from China, between shipping container and storage must have been a poor environment along the way. Why being treated with some king of rust preventive and/or baseplate cello seal a good idea. Still, from amount of rust, environment must have been really poor.
What’s even funnier is that Premium Guard and Ecogard filters(and their rebrands) are visually perfect though shipped over this way. The Asians, even on cheap filters are a fan of wrapping them in plastic.

The filter OP cut open is a Mann design - just made in China. The OG Wix design is made in US/Mexico.

Thanks,
Ivan

Another issue that would concern me a little is the "big window" Ecore style cage-that was a flawed original design. Does Mann just grab whatever filter they have laying around & just slap a Wix decal on it?!? They're getting ridiculous at this point... No wonder NAPA dumped them.

I purchased a Wix 57047XP and found the media thinner then previous Wix made in the USA.

Currently I use either the Fram Endurance of the Purolator Boss.

Back