Would you use it?

My wife has a 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer.
It requires 0w-20 Dexos. I have available to me a free supply of Ford Motorcraft 0w-20 full synthetic. Should I use this even though it isn't Dexos approved?
$40,000 truck, Dexos oil less then $20 for 6 quarts. I vote Dexos and what I use in my 2017 Traverse.
I could care less about the warranty and oil royalty BS which is truly BS.
One just asks why bother? Don’t you want to do right by the engine? No sense spending $40,000 on a truck if you don’t trust the advice of the engine maker.

BTW just discussing here in a fun way 🙃
I saw your post that MC is Dexos

Last edited:
GM's [...] manufacturing cost for the 1.4 Ecotec Turbo 4 cylinder that is used in the Buick Encore, and Chevy Trax is $185.00 U.S. I would imagine the 3 cylinder engine that is in the Trail Blazer costs them even less.
I am stunned. Never ... NEVER ... would have thought the cost would be so low. Can't help but wonder what a complete car costs them ...

I am stunned. Never ... NEVER ... would have thought the cost would be so low. Can't help but wonder what a complete car costs them ...
That can't be possible. If so then China should be able to make a comparable vehicle for $1000.00

That can't be possible. If so then China should be able to make a comparable vehicle for $1000.00
D you are correct when China reaches the volume. They don't have that yet, but they are trying to get there. Most of GM assembly lines are producing between 62 - 67 cars per hour.

You all are looking past a super simple solution.

Take the Motorcraft oil, store it somewhere cool and dry.

Run Dexos oil thru the warranty period. Switch to Motorcraft when warranty is up.

Really we need to stop making things hard on ourselves. This is trivial.

I guess some people missed this so here it is again. The new bottle on Motorcraft website shows dexos on the bottle.

The question remains is your source going to provide you with a receipt for the oil? If not your back to the no proof no proof no warranty scenario.

If you're worried about a receipt for dexos oil then buy a bunch of dexos oil, save the receipt then return it without the receipt, they can look it up on your credit card for return, problem solved.
I don't know why people are making this even this difficult. Nothing will happen oil related under warranty that they aren't going to cover anyways as long as the oil looks clean and appears to be changed regularly. If something does they know all about their manufacturing problem and will warranty it anyways.
Dealerships make money doing warranty repairs, they want to warranty it for you. It's the manufacturer that wants to deny not the dealerships.

The question remains is your source going to provide you with a receipt for the oil? If not your back to the no proof no proof no warranty scenario.

If this guys head gasket blows and he doesn't have an oil change receipt, but changes his own oil, they are not going to deny warranty work.

This thread is like watching an episode of Scare Tactics.

If this guys head gasket blows and he doesn't have an oil change receipt, but changes his own oil, they are not going to deny warranty work.

This thread is like watching an episode of Scare Tactics.
Correct. Even if the Motorcraft oil was not dexos licensed the warranty is not predicated on the license but upon an oil that causes engine damage. No Motorcraft oil of the correct grade is going to cause engine damage.

I seriously doubt the Motorcraft oil, in the correct grade, is going to damage the GM. To cover yourself, go grab a couple of jugs of Dexos approved oil and through the receipt in the glove box. I assure you, GM will not be able to tell the difference, and they won't even try.

Your new vehicle is 'disposable'. Strict manual compliance until warranty is over, and even then I'd consider extending it. Seriously, the engine could just up and decide to sling a part through the block for no apparent reason. Check BITOG after all warranties are exhausted.

Your new vehicle is 'disposable'. Strict manual compliance until warranty is over, and even then I'd consider extending it. Seriously, the engine could just up and decide to sling a part through the block for no apparent reason. Check BITOG after all warranties are exhausted.
Wow! Good fact-based scientific information. It's good to know that this vehicle is disposable and could sling a part through the block for no apparent reason! I think I'm going to sell it and buy something better. Please tell me. What should I buy? I would definitely prefer something that isn't disposable or will fling a part through the block.

List price $32,050. 1.3 liter Trailblazer Activ. All wheel drive. Has every safety and convenience option available on this model. Which is quite a lot. It's a chick car for sure. But that works out okay because a chick picked it and a chick drives it. To each their own. Pick what you want. Pay what you want.
Mine is a Chick Munchkin car from the Lullaby League in OZ :) I am sure I look funny driving around in it at 6'-1" 250lbs.

I just find these prices insane for a tiny Korean Car. my wife was appalled to pay $26K for a New Subaru Outback back in May..
My Fault I talked her into It . I said if you are going to pay 24K for a Crosstrek ( with no dealer discounts) might as well
step up to an outback ( which had 2 grand off that day) .
She hates all the self driving Eyesite , touch screen for heater and A/C , etc.
She shuts all this stuff off. I have found these safety ninnies to be intrusive and outright dangerous in many instances

Your wife's new Trailblazer is a sporty looking ride. I hope it works out well. Most dealer have few cars if any under$ 30K near me anymore. I saw new where the chip shortage is getting worse not better - I haven't looked into that .... I'm into CORN chips; there seems to be plenty of them around :)

Restored Classics are looking more and more like a viable option to me.

Back