Would you use it?

Its all about your level of acceptable risk.
Technically GM would have to prove that you didnt meet the oil standard, reality is that they would simply make the assertion and say too bad/so sad. Their legal dept is way better staffed than yours.
GM also considers that 3 cyl engine to be a "throw away"

mcoilCapture.JPG

This is very simple.
GM warranty says Dexos.
GM will ask for receipts. That is their right under the terms of the warranty.
Motorcraft is not Dexos.
Use Motorcraft = no Dexos receipts = no GM warranty.

GM would need to confirm that any internal engine damage was caused by the lubricant to deny warranty.
My wife and I sued GM and won, so we have a bit deeper insight on the legal crap GM throws peoples way.

Not that I'm recommending the OP use the MC oil in his application, although many here recommend using Dexos oil in people's new Fords (and Hyundai, Mazda, *insert make*, etc) but God no, don't use anyone else's oil in a GM.

Last edited:
The vehicle cost ~ $38,000 and you want to save $25 on oil that doesn't even meet the manufacture requirements, and possible void an engine warranty. You may want to rethink this. Ed
It better not for a 1.2 liter Turbo three cylinder mini budget CUV !

My brand new 2.0L 4 cylinder 166 HP automatic AWD mini CUV cost me around 17K out the door before trade.
And the Engine was made in the Cleveland engine Factory USA.

My brand new 2.0L 4 cylinder 166 HP automatic AWD mini CUV cost me around 17K out the door before trade.

I highly recommend using a Dexos oil in it. J/K....

Get the Motorcraft and sell it on Craigslist. Use the money from that toward some Dexos oil, if money is that tight for you.
I would bet dollars to doughnuts Motorcraft Synthetic is as good or better than many Dexos lubes.
Why Would Ford pay GM to license their spec ?

Dexos aint no incredibly "high Bar"

Get real guys. Delear service can barely figure out how much oil to put in an engine.
They dont care as long as the oil is clean and appears changed.

bunch of nervous ninny worry warts

Run it and love it.

My newest car is a 2011. Is it common place now for manufacturers to require a synthetic oil on an run of the mill vehicle?
This "run of the mill" vehicle has a turbo like many vehicles today. I guess that along with the fact that it requires a 0w-20 oil that is only available in full synthetic.

The Dexos 1 designation exists because GM wanted a oils to minimize LSPI, and resist oxidation leading to deposits in turbocharged applications. In theory, using Motorcraft synthetic that contains the same LSPI-hindering and oxidation-resistant formula will pose no issues to your engine, which means that GM would be unable to prove that a mechanical failure was a result of the oil you used.

If you are confident that Motorcraft syn provides the same LSPI & deposit protection as a Dexos 1 oil, you should have nothing to worry about.

If you can't be sure, you should probably steer clear of oils that are not Dexos 1 certified. It's not likely that you'll suffer an oil-related failure, but I can't see a good reason to take that chance. If you crack a piston because of LSPI, or your turbo bearings coke up, they'll be looking at the oil.

List price $32,050. 1.3 liter Trailblazer Activ. All wheel drive. Has every safety and convenience option available on this model. Which is quite a lot. It's a chick car for sure. But that works out okay because a chick picked it and a chick drives it. To each their own. Pick what you want. Pay what you want.

If you don't mind, would you please explain that comment?
Shel, I am guessing he means by comparison cost to rebuild it vs replace it. I know for fact that GM has some pricing on major drivetrain components that many of us BITOG viewers may find surprising. For example; GM's cost for the battery that is in the Bolt is over 9K. Their manufacturing cost for the 1.4 Ecotec Turbo 4 cylinder that is used in the Buick Encore, and Chevy Trax is $185.00 U.S. I would imagine the 3 cylinder engine that is in the Trail Blazer costs them even less.

to the op , keep in mind that gm has been having lspi issues with there 1.5 and 2.0 turbo engines cracking pistons , which obviously would be a catustrafic engine falure , that could be from issues with oil , it is prevolent with small displacement turbo engines
im just sayin
the info is out there

Back