Would you use it?

My wife has a 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer.
It requires 0w-20 Dexos. I have available to me a free supply of Ford Motorcraft 0w-20 full synthetic. Should I use this even though it isn't Dexos approved?

The vehicle cost ~ $38,000 and you want to save $25 on oil that doesn't even meet the manufacture requirements, and possible void an engine warranty. You may want to rethink this. Ed
I see your point but I guess I was thinking that it does meet the specs minus the Dexos license. Ford isn't going to pay GM to have there oil Dexos approved. By all other specs it is just as good. I hope that an oil expert will chim in. My opinion is just that. An opinion.

I see your point but I guess I was thinking that it does meet the specs minus the Dexos license. Ford isn't going to pay GM to have there oil Dexos approved. By all other specs it is just as good. I hope that an oil expert will chim in. My opinion is just that. An opinion.
What exactly does your owner’s manual say for the oil license or specification? Exact words.

What exactly does your owner’s manual say for the oil license or specification? Exact words.
I understand your point. And I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I'm not sure whether I think I should use it myself or not. I guess my question is how would I prove that I used oil that met the manufacturers specifications and how would the manufacturer prove that I didn't.

I understand your point. And I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I'm not sure whether I think I should use it myself or not. I guess my question is how would I prove that I used oil that met the manufacturers specifications and how would the manufacturer prove that I didn't.
I’m not being argumentative either. Please post the exact language your owners manual gives in regards to what license or specification is required for the oil. Does it require a dexos license?

And you’ll never be able to prove anything that the oil blender or manufacturer doesn’t tell you. You have no means to show anything in that regard.

My question is out of curiosity in this situation or any other. If GM says the oil must be dexos approved and you have a warranty issue how would you prove to them that you used dexos approved oil or on the other hand how could they prove that you didn't?

My question is out of curiosity in this situation or any other. If GM says the oil must be dexos approved and you have a warranty issue how would you prove to them that you used dexos approved oil or on the other hand how could they prove that you didn't?
You can’t. But I’ll bet you even more that nowhere in your owner’s manual or in the warranty booklet does it say that use of a dexos licensed oil is a condition of the new-car warranty. But this is why it’s important for you to post the exact language that it does give.

From the Owners Manual.

Selecting the Right Engine Oil

Specification
Use full synthetic engine oils that meet the
dexos1 specification.
Engine oils that have been approved by GM
as meeting the dexos1 specification are
marked with the dexos1 approved logo. See
www.gmdexos.com.
Caution
Failure to use the recommended engine
oil or equivalent can result in engine
damage not covered by the vehicle
warranty

D.....every decision including the one that you are trying to make involves "RISK". I always try to eliminate as much bad risk as I can from every monetary decision that I am trying to make.....that is just me. If you are fine taking the non-Dexos approved engine oil risk, then go for it.....but just understand just what is at risk monetarily.

D.....every decision including the one that you are trying to make involves "RISK". I always try to eliminate as much bad risk as I can from every monetary decision that I am trying to make.....that is just me. If you are fine taking the non-Dexos approved engine oil risk, then go for it.....but just understand just what is at risk monetarily.
That is what I am trying to figure out. What is "the risk". In this case or any other case how would GM or any other manufacturer be able to prove that you were not using the recommended oil?

On the other side of this equation. If a person is using the recommended lubricant and has a warranty issue with the engine. How would you be able to prove to them that you were using the recommended oil?

That is what I am trying to figure out. What is "the risk". In this case or any other case how would GM or any other manufacturer be able to prove that you were not using the recommended oil?
I would guess that if you had an oil related failure, and GM was to warranty the engine or the repair, they would most likely test the oil. They might also ask you to prove the purchase or oil change records for warranty claim purposes. Believe it or not I have seen this done for third party warranties that dealers have sold, so I know it is possible.

If I would need receipts to prove that I was using the proper fluids for any vehicle then I guess that I would have been screwed my whole life. I have always done my own maintenance and never saved receipts.

If I would need receipts to prove that I was using the proper fluids for any vehicle then I guess that I would have been screwed my whole life. I have always done my own maintenance and never saved receipts.
That is my point on your situation. If you are not concerned with abiding to the rules of warranty then your action of not having receipts / records, or any other proof is ok. But under warranty, I think most OEMs have wording that may put the burden of proof on you as the consumer and not on them as the manufacturer.

I do not pretend to know the terms that are specific to your vehicles warranty....I am merely suggesting what action would you take if they asked you to prove that you followed recommended warranty guidelines in the event a failure would occur.

Eddie stated it eloquently......38K vs $25.00......don't step over the dollar to pick up the penny.

Back