Would you use it?

I was threatened by a BMW service advisor that if I did not let them change the oil at this time, my engine warranty would be void. When I told him I already changed the oil 2k ago, he asked me where and what oil I used.. And directly threatened me that I was voiding my cars engine warranty. Or as he put, "your car's warranty". They hire the biggest douches as advisors there. And charge the most obscene prices for maintenance services there.

BTW: this was back in 2011

On the other side of this equation. If a person is using the recommended lubricant and has a warranty issue with the engine. How would you be able to prove to them that you were using the recommended oil?
They will want to see a history of oil changes (receipts) stating the oil used.

Ironically, some would say that this commercial is not representative of the same branded product that is produced today. But the message is no doubt appropriate.

I still am having a hard time following the logic. Let's assume that the Motorcraft Full Synthetic is just as good as a Dexos approved oil. If that is true then I am not causing any harm to the engine by using it. So then the only reason other than that to use it is so that you meet GM's dexos approval for your warranty. So even if I did use a dexos approved oil but I didn't have paperwork proving that then I'm no better off.

I still am having a hard time following the logic. Let's assume that the Motorcraft Full Synthetic is just as good as a Dexos approved oil. If that is true then I am not causing any harm to the engine by using it. So then the only reason other than that to use it is so that you meet GM's dexos approval for your warranty. So even if I did use a dexos approved oil but I didn't have paperwork proving that then I'm no better off.
Please see my BOLDED line in your quote. Yes, you are exactly correct. If you used the appropriate spec'd oil, and changed it at the required intervals and could not prove it, then yes you would be no better off. Let's go back to the original question you asked but look at it from another angle. Why did GM bother to create the Dexos spec? Why does VW, and Audi, and other OEMs say to use a certain European spec oil formulation? The reasoning is sound and pretty simple....they have engineered the engine with certain materials, tolerances, and use case duration cycles that require a recommended lubricant with certain properties to insure that the engine performs, wears, and that mechanical components are protected appropriately. If you use the wrong oil, that is not of the proper weight without the proper chemistry and the engine or its components fail, then you have defied the proper logic of reasoning that the OEM or manufacturer tried to recommend and provide so that you in turn could protect and enjoy the investment you made to it's maximum potential.

Let me use another analogy this time in world of medicine. Do you know the difference between a medicine and a poison? Answer, the dose. If the doctor prescribes one pill per day, and you take two, and get sick, you have defied to logic of the recommended chemistry of the medicine. The medicine at the higher dose has now become a potential poison and could potentially cause you irreversable harm.

This is very simple.
GM warranty says Dexos.
GM will ask for receipts. That is their right under the terms of the warranty.
Motorcraft is not Dexos.
Use Motorcraft = no Dexos receipts = no GM warranty.
I guess it is very simple.
I've always changed the oil in my 2017 Chevy Colorado with Mobil 1.
I have never kept a receipt for the oil.
Nor have I kept oil receipts for any of the other 10 or more GM's that I have owned that were under warranty.
I guess I would have lost any warranty claim if I ever had one even though I used the recommended oil.

You are correct. With almost any warranty there are performance terms of the warranty that both parties agree to for it to remain in force or applicable. Some terms are written, some are implied and some must be proved by the performance as stated.

I am assuming that the Motorcraft oil in question meets some Ford spec....why?

Ironically, some would say that this commercial is not representative of the same branded product that is produced today. But the message is no doubt appropriate.

$4 in 1972, they're actually cheaper now. $3 and some change. I wonder if $4 for an oil filter back then was big money?

Nor have I kept oil receipts for any of the other 10 or more GM's that I have owned that were under warranty.
I guess I would have lost any warranty claim if I ever had one even though I used the recommended oil.
I feel the free. 5 years/60k miles and 8 oil changes seams like a long time. But try looking at it like this; Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvolene, and Quaker State full synthetic, Dexos licensed are all under $24 per oil change at Walmart. That doesn't seem so bad. Supertech FS and major brand blends are under $20 per 5 qt change.
I hope I added something useful to you. Good luck to you in the New Year whichever you do.

I guess I would sum up this discussion this way. Money is not an issue in my life.
I was offered Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic oil. Probably enough to last as long as I would need it. I thought that if almost all of the oil that you can buy from almost every oil company meets dexos specs and this oil is made by one of those companies it would also meet this specs even if they didn't pay the license fee to print it on the bottle. That is all.

I guess I would sum up this discussion this way. Money is not an issue in my life.
I was offered Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic oil. Probably enough to last as long as I would need it. I thought that if almost all of the oil that you can buy from almost every oil company meets dexos specs and this oil is made by one of those companies it would also meet this specs even if they didn't pay the license fee to print it on the bottle. That is all.

There's testing standards for Dexos.... A oil made is tested and given a Dexos approval number. If a oil has NOT been sent for testing and not received a Dexos approval license number... Then anyone speculating about whether a oil has met that standard is just wild donkey guessing with zero proof.

Like there are testing standards for Ford MSC- yada- uda oil too.

There are standards for Porsche A40, BMW, MB too.

I wouldn't run a oil in those cars unless it was a real deal approved oil from those manufacturers.

And a oil company saying their oil is meeting that performance standard without a real approval/ license... I wouldn't run that oil even if it was "free".

yes, you very well could have lost any warranty claim over those years...I do the same thing. Change my own and never save receipts. roll of the dice they say....

You know that the Motorcraft synthetic oil does not meet the GM requirements. Yes I'm sure it's very good oil that will probably run just fine in your wife's Trailblazer. However, a valid warranty has requirements and you are flirting with warranty issues by using a non-approved oil. Think how often that vehicle gets serviced and how much money you are actually saving with the free oil. I would argue it's not worth the risk. I would find something else in which to run the free oil. My $0.02

Keep the Motorcraft oil in your garage until the warranty runs out. It will last three years. In the meantime use Dexos oil in the Trailblazer (and keep the receipts) until the warranty runs out then switch to your Motorcraft stash.

Back