Would you use a FRAM filter if they were free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not use FRAM because there are better deals out there?

Or, you wouldn't risk using one no matter what the cost?

If I had no choice, I would... but there are better filters out there for the same price or less... for one example: Supertech at Wal-Mart.

If someone gave me free ones I certainly would esp if they were the 10$ frams.. you didnt mention which frams for free :p

generally cardboard glued endcaps aside. They are OK filters
just overpriced for bottom of the barrel filter.
the midline frams are better but still overpriced and the high end frams are again 2-3$ more than a similar filter.

Nope. I cut a new one open and was dismayed by the sight of mainly junk.
puke.gif

No, I would not; junk is junk, regardless of price.

Oil filters are a commodity...if I can get a Motorcraft filter for $1.04 more than an ST filter, getting a FRAM for free is no bargain.

Agreed. It's like going to a burger joint and complaining about the quality of the food. To makes things better, they give you a coupon for a FREE burger on your next visit. Huh?

I used them for over a decade before seeing the pics posted here at BITOG. The pictures changed my mind on brands to purchase, but I never experienced a failure using Fram. If you've got some free ones, send them over!

BTW, since seeing the cut-open pics, I swiched to Napa Gold.
They are the same price as Fram if purchased by the case from fleetfilter.

For 3000 mile OCI I'll use FRAM. And I did up to 138K miles with zero oil consumption in 3000 miles, 2/3 qt used in 6000 mile runs on Syntec. This is a big 5.7L 1997 GM engine with only 5 qt capacity and filter the size of a soup can.

I'm not proud of this but it's actually what I did. I'm please with the results though.

On my new application the FRAM Tough Guard (TG) has some of the BEST filtration in it's FL-820S class. But x4 cost of MC.

Free and $2.35 (MC) are not that far apart.

Free can be expensive if the quality is inferior and you have a problem. After several years of being a member of this forum I won't use Fram on my lawn mower & yes it does have a filter.

If it was free, then yes, I would have no problems using a regular Fram for a 3-4000 mile OCI.
Millions of Frams are used every year with no more problems that most other filter makes (percentage wise).
Now if I had a choice of free Frams, it would definatly be an Extended guard.

Quote:

Would you use a FRAM filter if they were free?

There's five vehicles in my household that I maintain - so for free?.... Yes!

I would just shorten their engine life. In vehicles where I use synthetics, I would just change it for free at mid-term of the OCI.

I've seen a few BITOG accounts of where they've used Fram solely for the lifetime of the vehicle - some beyond 250K. So I wouldn't purchase Fram - but I would not hesitate to use them for free.

Free? No, sorry. I'd rather pay $2.59 for a NAPA ProSelect oil filter, and know I'm getting something that is worth crawling under the truck to install.

Had a Fram that caused me grief. Never again.

Quote:

If I had no choice, I would... but there are better filters out there for the same price or less... for one example: Supertech at Wal-Mart.

There are Supertechs out there for free? Or *less*? Do tell.
grin.gif

If Frams were free, I'd take them. Used them for years without problems. Not saying they're the best, but they're adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back