Would you use a FRAM filter if they were free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use them. In fact my OEM Honda filter is a FRAM, and Honda says that I should leave it on for 20,000 miles!

I don't like FRAM's that much though.

Quote:

Do you not use FRAM because there are better deals out there?

Or, you wouldn't risk using one no matter what the cost?

Interesting questions. Like many others I used to use Frams, but with what I know now, I'd say probably not - especially the orange filters. The better ones without the "Slick 50" stuff maybe.

Quote:

Free? No, sorry. I'd rather pay $2.59 for a NAPA ProSelect oil filter, and know I'm getting something that is worth crawling under the truck to install.

Had a Fram that caused me grief. Never again.

Even the best filters cause grief to someone - somewhere. Nothing is perfect in our inperfect society. I was issued one-time grief from a missing NAPA Gold gasket. That never stopped me from buying more Napa Golds. All it did was remind me to inspect the gasket before intallation.

Free? Hand an assortment over. I'll cut 'em all open and make sure they're all made in the same cheap, lightweight way.

Another NAY here.
spankme.gif

Oops...of course that friend would use fram filters on a normal basis. Note to self: Have coffee first before performing any mental tasking.

There are multiple members here using Fram exclusively - nearing 300K on their engines. Yes - there's better money values for that hypothetical $3 spent, but for free, flushing them, throwing them away, giving them away or destroying them means the person taking such action either has too much money in his wallet - or had a prior bad experience.

Every product on earth contains bad experiences. The ones that are rated as the #1 best seller have the most bad experiences. Even slow-selling Amsoil, Mobil-1 and K&N filters are not excluded. But the smart shoppper knows better - awards a 2nd chance to his/her favorite-value filter when something goes awry.

I had no problem resuming my liking for NAPA Golds... even after leaving a 35 feet-lomg oil trail in my driveway. Flushing filters that will provide your vehicle a lifetime of usefullness is why inner earth has exchanged it's weight of expelled oil with needless, imputting garbage.

I've never seen a pic of any fram that has gone bad. some say they have had frams go bad but again, I haven't seen any myself. I'm like some, every thing has a bad one no matter who made it. even seen an amsoil filter bad. so again I'll stick with the fram. will never use m1 brand any more. I'll never use ptfe in any filter I have.

Quote:

I've never seen a pic of any fram that has gone bad. some say they have had frams go bad but again, I haven't seen any myself. I'm like some, every thing has a bad one no matter who made it. even seen an amsoil filter bad. so again I'll stick with the fram. will never use m1 brand any more. I'll never use ptfe in any filter I have.

Well even if you're not sold on the idea that they are junk, don't you think they're better values out there?

I'd use them if they were free.
thumbsup.gif

Until a few years ago, thats all I used and I've cut open EVERY filter I used (this would be hundreds in the many years I've been changing oil) and NEVER seen a problem.

But even more important is my engines last 200k and now 300k+ using them.
approved.gif

Free is good!
grin.gif

I don't use frams because I can get a Supertech for half price. (or used to be 1/2 price.. More like $4.28 vs $2.46...)

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Drove a '91 Toyota for 8 years, 100+ miles a day, engine has 210K, when the truck was rear ended. Engine ran great when it was totaled. 90% of the 3 to 4K OCI's were with Fram PH3614's and cheap Dino oil.

I would used them if they priced like MC,Purolator, ect. They used to be the least expensive decent filter I could obtain in small town USA. If I recall, they were usually $2.48 at Wally World.

Free would be OK with me.
approved.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back